Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Display screen cleaning?

Does Flex have any recommendations for cleaning the M series display screen of my messy fingerprints? Ant techniques or solutions to avoid?

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Good question, It does not matter what other people do, wait to hear from Flex as to what they recommend.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have a glass microfiber towel I keep in the shack.  I just give it a light spritz with glass cleaner and then wipe the display.

Mine has stayed pretty clean. But I have not been contesting and eating fried chicken yet either :)

Rich

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I use a microfiber cloth and a small spray of eyeglass cleaner.  Flex should recommend some type cleaner in their setup instructions..  
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I've read NOT to use Windex or that kind of glass cleaner on touch screens.  I would think that eyeglass cleaner should be safe.   And spritz the cloth, not the screen!
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    According to several reputable resources, do not use household glass cleaners as they contain harsh chemicals that will damage anti-glare and anti-reflective coatings.  Ultra fine microfiber cleaning cloths are best, optionally moistened with filtered or distilled water to clean sticky debris. 

A solution of filtered or distilled water and a modest percentage of isopropyl alcohol (substantially less than 50%) is safe to use on stubborn gunk. Some advisors recommend vinegar instead of isopropyl alcohol. Do not use any other type of alcohol or any other chemicals.   Never apply liquid directly to the screen -- apply only to the microfiber cloth to moisten, but not dripping wet. 

Larry KB1VFU
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have left on the plastic cover that was on the screen when I took it out of the box. It works fine with it on getting to the menus. 
  • A.J. AJ2I
    A.J. AJ2I Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Damp Rag with water
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    While we await authoritative guidance from Flex, I wanted to highlight a particular item, which is "Endust for Electronics Screen & Electronics Cleaner."  It is inexpensive but does a superb job cleaning my monitors.  If it can be trusted for use on expensive monitors, then I speculate it might be the ideal solution for radio displays.  Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Endust other than being a satisfied customer.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I've used the iKlear products for years on my computers and mobile devices. No issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023WU6OI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Scott N1SER
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    There are many touch screen cleaner wipes available at Best Buy, Wal Mart, Amazon, and the like, that are specifically made for PC monitor, Tablets or Phone touch screens.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

The display used in the new "M" radios and the Maestro is the same type used in smartphones, tablets and laptops so cleaning is the same.
    Two important things to remember is you must use the correct cleaning solution and the correct Non abrasive cloth made for screen cleaning or you will damage the screen.

links to an examples of cleaning products for screens.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/293874/Office-Depot-Brand-Screen-Cleaning-Kit/

https://www.rjltechnologies.com/shop/product/38977929/1?gclid=CjwKCAiA24PVBRBvEiwAyBxf-eoYNmgioYhr29IQLwb9GHpvTMLh2d53QMLxfUlU0kcEsJxHF8JXRBoCX30QAvD_BwE

• Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    For my smart iPhone I have a clear protective (plastic?) cover that goes over the screen. This protects the screen from damage, starches and finger usage. Is there a similar clear cover that can be added over the Maestro or M model screens to protect it?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.