Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and has Recovered

Bill W2PKY
Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Installed SmartSDR on Surface Pro 3 I5. receiving this message [bottom right]. Screen freezes just before the message. Happens when SSDR is running. Driver is up to date. Anyone else seeing this? image

Comments

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

I can't speak for Intel drivers but I can say I just a couple of day's ago I had Nvidia video card warning popup say the same thing as your Flag error.

Just to say your not alone of this one.

I am all updated NVidia  461.43.

Hopefully with future updates this too will pass.

• Bob Brown - N8OB
    edited February 2018

I have the same problem but not just in SmartSDR.. I am using Windows 10 with 16 gb memory.  I solved the problem by using a Legacy driver for graphics instead of what Windows 10 suggested.

Bob - N8OB
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    In another threat RayD cast a lot of light on the TDR Event issue many of us are seeing with SmartSDR and Graphics under Windows 10:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-on-windows-10-amd-graphics-driver-errors

Guessing that solutions are a bit down the road, given the driver level issues seen on a range of cards and configurations.

Steve K9ZW
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    MS Support advised to uninstall the Display Driver and restart so driver reinstalls. I deleted the SW on uninstall and then updated the driver after restart. Correction did not fix the problem
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
      Hi, Bill,
                   Using Surface Pro 3
                   Windows 10 Build 11082
                   Driver version: 10.18.15.4256
                   Driver date:  7/17/2015 (latest, I think)

Have had no video problems.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hello Ned, using the same driver. My PC was an upgrade from 8.1. Read on the internet that one customer got a new machine because there were some bad CPUs. I had freezing when the PC was on 8.1 my serial # starts with 015289xxxxxx . was on MS support for 2 hours. in the end they wanted to restore my PC but I have too much time invested in software install and data. Since mine is an upgrade there is no restore just a wipe and do a clean install. Not sure what I'm going to do.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Did you upgrade from 8.1?
  • Mike
    Mike Member
    edited July 2017
    Bill: I also have a Surface PRO3 i5, and it is doing the same thing. It seems to have just started -- it did not happen back in November-- and only happens with SSDR, so far. I use it in the dock with native screen and an external monitor. Its also an "upgrade" from WIN 8.1. Another issue I have is (not SSDR related) is when in the dock, on startup, it goes to "SURFACE" logo and stops. Will not finish booting. I have to turn it off and back on again, and it boots normally. Microsoft has known about this issue for about 5 months now, they have offered a patch which is pretty involved, or we can wait for the fix to come out in an update. I've been waiting 5 months now. I only mention this since now that the PRO 4 is out, I hope PRO 3 issues do not take a back seat. --Mike, WV2ZOW
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lets see if Ned's machine was an upgrade or clean install.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just uninstalled all my updates back to 11/08 and stil have the problem.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bill,

First is drivers and it seems like you are trying different ones but still see similar problems. 

I also have a surface pro 3 and I do not see the problem you are seeing.  So my next thought is hardware.  If your graphics adapter (on board on the surface pro) has a physical problem or perhaps the RAM is bad for the graphics adapter then it could cause the same behavior you are seeing.

How old is the surface?  I'd see if ti was covered under warranty and try to argue for a replacement.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It's almost certainly a video driver issue. Before making them "safe" and restartable, video drivers were the number one cause of Windows system crashes worldwide. They were closely followed by network drivers by the way. I get video driver failures (and the associated cute little message) about once every week on my dev system at work. Video drivers are hard to write, tightly coupled with some ridiculously complex hardware, and pretty uncommon to develop. There are, therefore,very few good video driver devs. The result? Drivers that crash. At least they don't crash the whole system anymore, thanks to Windows. Keep an eye out for driver updates. That's all you can do. Peter K1PGV
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My Surface has another month to go on Hardware Warranty. There is only one driver for Win 10. I have always had trouble running SSDR on this computer. It started out as 8.1 and upgraded this fall. How old is yours?
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    After a bit of research, it seems the AMD drivers are typically the ones people are experiencing the most problems with.  You can spend countless hours trudging through the endless dribble posted on numerous forums on what causes the problem and things to try to fix it.  Most of the posts are just a waste of time reading, but every once in a while someone will post something that seems to work for some folks.

You can try going into the AMD Radeon Settings and change the Graphics Profile to Optimize Performance.   This approach has been working for me, at least during the past 12 hours or so. 

Since this has been isolated to a very few graphic cards, I seriously doubt AMD or Microsoft will ever really address it, so don't hold your breath for a driver release that addresses this particular problem.  I'm guessing they will just wait until everyone moves on to a newer GPU.

If anyone EVER discovers an actual fix or a driver release that addresses this issue, please come back to this thread and post it for the rest of us.

Norm
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Bill,
              I got the SP3 Sept 5, 2014 in anticipation of being able to remote SmSDR.
       It is very much a secondary machine.  I run a solid Win 7 machine for daily use.
       It had Win 8 or 8.1 when purchased at a Microsoft Store in a local mall.  The
       second day I had it. it froze ON.  I put it in a brown paper bag and went back to
       MS.  They took it away for a couple of minutes and managed to reset it.  I got
       it back in a nice Microsoft bag.  They don't like brown paper bags in malls.
              I joined the "Insiders group"  and did upgrades as they became available.
       I learned early-on to uninstall SmSDR before doing any Win 10 updates.
       I have dedicated a couple of icons to ease this process. It takes a few minutes
       to avoid an hour of grief.  Tim has written up the uninstall procedure.  Do as
       he has suggested.
               I have disallowed all of the helpful things Windows wants to do in the
      background.  Consider the "cloud" the "pit".  So far, updates have been
      done upon my request.  I've not had new builds mysteriously appear -yet-.
             I added a Dell  27" display  that has 2560x1440 resolution and
      connects via the displayport connector. The Dell  adds a few USB ports
      which the  SP3 really needs.  I also got a  Microsoft Bluetooth mouse. 
              I suspect I haven't had the problem because I don't use the system
     enough, only 3 or 4 times a week. I've only added a logger and it links OK
     via smartcat.   As I use it more (post 1.6), I'll  add neat things like Fldigi and
     WSJT-X. 
          I want to keep the system as simple as  possible while things are still
     changing. If it coughs, I'll report back.  I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Ned, K1NJ

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I had this problem with a previous nVidia 560 card and the fix was to tweak a voltage parameter in the BIOS of the graphics card. IIRC, fixing the issue at the driver level would have meant disabling a feature on the latest cards. 
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Stopped by the local M/S store. Found out there is a Threshold II update that does not arrive automatically. Left my PC for the update and a deep hardware scan.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mine arrived automatically, although I've been running Windows 10 since it was in Beta..  I've been running the update since late November early December. It doesn't address the Display Driver issues at all, so I'm not sure what your trying to say here.
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have seen the same message indicating that the video driver has stopped but has recovered. Doesn't seem to harm much except to cause a brief freezing of the video. It all started with Win10 install. 
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Does your PC have a separate Video Card or integrated?
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Receiving on one panadapter  and about 6 IE 11 Tabs open.

It recovered instantly while waiting for a bit. Never lost the Flexradio what so ever only browser issue.

So yep windows 10 or Nvidia has an issue.

This is the first time in a bout a week this showed up again.

Just have to wait out win10 or Nvidia to get a fix.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If you are using an old card, you will be unlikely to get a fix as per my post 6 days' ago. In my case, it was a DIY fix, that was only available as many users were having the issue. Because we had old cards, the fix was made available by a fellow user.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    MS supplies a custom version of the Intel Graphics Driver. When attempting to install the standard Intel Driver there is a message that a custom driver from the PC MFG is installed and cautioned the user not to install the standard driver. However, reading further, instructions are given to install the standard driver. In the device driver uninstall the Intel Family driver and select the MS basic driver. Then exec File: WIN64_154010.4300.exe driver dated 10/1/2015 ver 20.19.15.4300 and install the standard Intel driver. After installing the Intel Standard Driver have not noticed the error. The computer seems to work fine with the standard driver.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    If you own a Surface Pro 3 and have this issue then see this:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/surface-pro-hd5000-graphics-errors-solved

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.