Disconnecting SmartSDR user does not terminate DAX or CAT

• Question
  • Updated 6 days ago
We just got a 6400 for our club and while I use a 6400 at home I don't use it remotely.   That will change as soon as I get moca set up and can get my 6400 on the network. 

However today when testing SmartSDR (2.4.9) with my friend I asked him to disconnect me to test the functionality.   I had the radio up along with DAX and CAT.  I was decoding FT8 on 80m when he disconnected me.  

SmartSDR gui closed like it should but DAX and CAT kept right on working even after he connected to the radio.   

This seems like a bug to me.  Thoughts?
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 131 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Posted 7 days ago

Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 188 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
MIke, you don't say what your friend did when you asked him to "disconnect". If what he did was connect to the radio with another copy of SSDR, and told the radio to disconnect the existing GUI connection, Dax and Cat acted exactly as they should.

Dax and Cat are separate from the SSDR GUI connection, and operate separately (although of course what the GUI does to the radio does affect Dax and Cat connections). I often operate my 6600M with Dax and Cat running from a computer with wsjt-x or Fldigi while the front panel is running the radio (that's a GUI or SSDR connection for an M model). That's the beauty of a Flex radio.
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 131 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Ted,

My friend did indeed use the disconnect command from SmartSDR.   When he connected to the radio he could not use his DAX / CAT as I was connected

I also run DAX and CAT on a pc while my Maestro is running SmartSDR.  However I do this locally not remote.    

What does not make sense is for a remote user to be disconnected and another remote user take control of the radio and then can't use DAX/CAT.  

Maybe smartSDR needs to have the remote disconnect for DAX/CAT when the situation calls for it. 

(Edited)
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 603 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Are you having SmartSDR start SmartCAT and DAX?

Here on my station when the remote on my Desktop Computer disconnect's me on my laptop they stay up until I manually close SmartSDR then SmartCAT automatically closes but SmartDAX stays on on my Laptop but on my desktop they both go off when I terminate SmartSDR on the Laptop.
Both Computers are running Remote, Settings on SmartSDR/CAT/DAX are the same on both Remote computers so no clue why the act different.

I tested them both with my IPAD and both Computers shut down DAX and CAT normally when I terminate the SmartSDR program on the computers.

I tested this SEVERAL times and acted the same each time I connected and remotely disconnected the opposite PC's So this may be a bug as you said.

I'm sure on this issue there will be different outcomes for everyone just from the test I ran tonight.

Of course everyone's Mileage will very.

73's
Bret
WX7Y

Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 603 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Oh Yea for them to start and stop when you run SmartSDR  you have to have them "On startup, auto connect to last radio" clicked on It's under the Gear icon on SmartCAT and SmartDAX top right.
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 131 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Thanks Bret...That is what I was looking for. 
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 131 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Bret,

I can't say for sure it's a bug.  It just seemed counter intuitive to remotely disconnect another remote user from SmartSDR and not disconnect the DAX / CAT as well.  
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 188 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
You can have multiple Dax and Cat instances, Mike. My greatest familiarity is with Mac, not Windows, but on the Mac and I assume Windows too, you select a Dax and Cat number, with each one connected to a slice (receiver). You can have one PC on one slice, and a different PC on a different slice. The TX needs to be set to auto-switch to the appropriate slice.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 131 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Ted,

thx for the info.    It may be a design feature and  I just don't understand the behavior .   

User A logs into SmartLink and starts  SmartSDR , DAX and CAT.   

User B logs into SmartLink and sees the radio in use.  At that point User B disconnects User A and is now running SmartSDR session on another remote pc.  

If User A does not terminate the DAX / CAT sessions , then User B can not use DAX / CAT.  

That just did not seem right to me.  

Photo of Don, VE2HJ

Don, VE2HJ

• 32 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Hi Mike,

I experiened the same thing this Week. We had to log in to Smartlink with DAX and DAC then connect to the radio. I think you'll have the disconnect user botton appear.

Let us know if it works.

de Don, VE2HJ
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 188 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I suspect the eventual release of SSDR with multiple remote session access will have a great effect on any behaviour as seen here. As it is now, I am really happy that existing CAT/DAX sessions on the radio do not need to be on the same device as the GUI (SSDR).

I routinely operate a 6600M with the GUI session on the front panel and xCat/xDax on a different (Mac) device. I have also run the 6600M with SSDR on a Windows PC and xDax/xCat on a MacBook. Of course I could have run dogParkSDR plus xDax/xCat on the MacBook, but its screen is just too small, and it is a bit underpowered.
Photo of Don, VE2HJ

Don, VE2HJ

• 32 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Hi,

We just ran some test with my boddy's radio and CAT. While he was connected to the radio locally with SSDR and CAT. I could connect remotely with CAT. ( no disconnect user botton ).

My logger is configure to control the frequency of the radio that CAT is connected to. So when i clic a spot , the frequency was send to his radio changing band , even changing it while on TX on a dommy load.

So, i think we should be warned there is an other client connected to the radio that we are trying to connect to. Or be able to disconnect user.

And Mike , i also think it's a problem.

de Don, VE2HJ