Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Disable and bypass the 6000 series final amplifier via sortware or hardware for QRP?

Stan VA7NF
Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in New Ideas

There have been discussions about the current draw when biasing the 6000 final amplifier, see https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/current-drain-on-6300?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5... for one.

Does, or can, the final amplifier be bypassed and not keyed up on transmit?  The preference would be via an API call from SmartSDR Tx setup, or by a physical process such as removing the final and jumpering connectors.

Last FD we ran 3AB with (literally) a ton of batteries but the Flex was left behind due to exceeding the current budget of 7A for rig, computer and monitor(s).

It would be nice to flip a switch on SmartSDR (or Maestro) to turn on/off QRP reducing the associated battery draw.

0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I may be wrong here but I would think just reducing the power down to QRP levels would do the same thing.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The finals are class AB and draw an estimated 5A just for bias, then add the power out.  If the driver can be routed to the antenna switching then it becomes a super QRP rig that will draw around 2A rather than the current 7A.
  • Jim Hawkins / K2JHV
    edited July 2015
    I've gotten mine down to less than 4 watts.  The guy at the other end asked me to increase it again because he was no longer copying me well enough.  (SWR 1:1).
    My amp, on standby, has a input power meter.
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Buy a Flex 1500...very good QRP radio... Available used for $500 give or take a bit.
  • Jim Hawkins / K2JHV
    edited July 2015
    My amp also has a power meter when it's not on standby. HI ;-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.