Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Dirty JT65 Transmit

Mark_WS7M
Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
I seem to remember reading a few posts about dirty transmit signals, well tonight I got mine.

I had my 6500 running for probably a week without a restart.  I have been working CW mostly trying to get the K5P and VP8 stations.

I went up to 40m LSB and did a few short QSO with the amp on.  I switched to the provided radiosport profile and got good results.

I then decided to play some JT-65.  The signal didn't look right and my computer speakers were making a little noise I wasn't used to hearing but a guy did come back.  However when I called CW someone sent:

WS7M CHECK SIGNAL

So I did Ken's trick and did the xvrtr and full duplex and yes it was nasty.  I played with DAX gain, nothing seemed to help.  So I simply quit everything, remote depowered the radio, restarted it and now the signal is clean under the same exact configuration.

Interesting.

Answers

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    interesting
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have seen mine do this several times. It seems to be directly related to how long the radio has been on. It has only happened for me when the radio has been on for at lest 24 hours.

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Mark,

Jon is correct.  This is a pernicious little bug where the DAX signal becomes corrupted if DAX is running for a couple of days.  Closing & re-starting DAX always fixes the problem.  This is not unique to JT-65, but applies to all digital modes.

I am on the alpha team, but have not been able to determine a set of circumstances that causes it except for a random length of time - usually 2-3 days.  Therefore, it is almost impossible to give any guidance to the developers to help them track it down.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • mdavid01
    mdavid01 Member
    edited October 2016
    I've also seen this when leaving my system on for days...since it's so convenient to have my radio in the back room and I can't hear it...it's a great problem to have.

You mentioned your DAX rx gain, I'm interested in what others have set  for digital modes
    My DAX rx gain is set to 30
    AGC set to off, AGC-T at 43
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ray,

Thanks for your input.  So the problem is most likely in DAX, not the radio?  So my solution last night could have been a DAX restart?

Mike, on gain I found I had to set TX=36 to get the SmartSDR meter to read about -10 or so.  I've worked a station that said this looked and sounded good.   I generally set AGC off as well but I have not messed with AGC-T.  I'll have to check that out.

This is one problem I see with JT65.  While it is a fun mode to just click and work stations, the transmission packets are pretty limited and the turn around time is horrendous to find out if something made it, or not, or you have an issue.

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Mark, 

Yes, all you need to do is restart DAX.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016

I feel like a idiot as I can't find where to see these settings.

mind sending me clue via bill@w9ol.com?? pse et tu de w9ol.com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.