Dirty distorted transmit signal

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
After upgrading to v1.5 my carrier (tune) signal is very distorted and when transmitting audio i'm seeing audio on both side-bands on the pan adapter. 
Reverting back to v1.4 solves the issue and no distortion at all.
Flex 6300 
v1.4.16.63  Clean signal
v1.5.0  corrupted signal

FYI I totally uninstalled v1.4 before updating to v1.5
tried several times installing then uninstalling each version with the same results.
I can e-mail screen shots if needed (not seeing an upload function here) 
Photo of George Moranian

George Moranian

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Gerben  PAØGDW

Gerben PAØGDW

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello George..
I had exact the same problem !   ... with V1.5.
VERY distorted SSB Transmit signal all over the Pan adapter with my Flex 6300 and also on AIR !!!
but sometimes it is good...after clicking on the transmit button...you could see in the Panadapter  if its bad or good....must be a software fault...

I have a new Windows 10 PC with an Intel I7 and 8 Gb Ram... was working fine with the older V1.4.11.60..
same V1.5 problem with a Panasonic Windows 10  Notebook N700 with Intel I 5 etc.. !

I have tried everything....Hard reset....removing old Smart SDR 1.4.16 with Revo Uninstaller..etc..
same problem..
Going back to Version V1.4.11.60 ...everything OK !

73 Gerben PA0GDW
(Edited)
Photo of Roger Sjölin

Roger Sjölin

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I had the same problem with my 6300 but I did a full reset and that solved it.
/Roger SA0AND
Photo of Gerben  PAØGDW

Gerben PAØGDW

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Ok Roger...
i did the same Full reset....and then it was working fine...
but the next day...same problem...

this fault is not consistent..!

(Edited)
Photo of Roger Sjölin

Roger Sjölin

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes Its the same for me now. Hope we will get an official answer soon.
Photo of Gerben  PAØGDW

Gerben PAØGDW

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Ok Roger and George..

are you using Windows 10 ? is important i think to know...

(Edited)
Photo of Roger Sjölin

Roger Sjölin

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I am using windows 10.
Photo of clint yates

clint yates

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have windows 7 ultimate and does the ame thing.has nothing to do with windows
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Steve, VP Engineering at Flex Radio said earlier in this thread that the issue is not tied to an operating system version.  See below:

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering

• As Tim says, we are investigating the issue and will let everyone know as soon as we've found the problem. This was not seen by any of the Alpha group (50+ FLEX-6000 owners). If you experience the problem, it would be very useful for us to have a screenshot of your panadapter in SSB and CW during TUNE when the problem occurs (as Marco mentioned earlier). The issue is not (can not be) Operating System related for the reasons that Walt mentioned earlier so I wouldn't spend time trying it on different PCs, etc. Thanks for your reports.

(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1516 Posts
  • 762 Reply Likes

Looking for a common condition, could the TURF file have an impact?

It is something the USA based hams won't have installed (and they do not seem to have the same audio problem).

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 860 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Hi All, lets try to switch off Weighted Average, I assume you will get surprise
Photo of George Moranian

George Moranian

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Using Windows 10 here.
Live in New Hampshire, USA

George
N1NAZ
Photo of Gerben  PAØGDW

Gerben PAØGDW

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ok George..tnx...
i will try to setup another PC WITH Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits.... let you know tomorrow...

and Sergey..normally WEIGHTED AVERAGE is OFF....but i am not sure with the new V1.5... i will try that also..  tnx fr reply....
(Edited)
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 860 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Well, this is switcher in my case make sense, then ON plenty of hiccups will started on PAN

also I am recognized issues with Profiles - solution delete all, completely radio reset and make a new profiles for all again
Photo of Roger Sjölin

Roger Sjölin

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have opened a case in Helpdesk for this issue.
Photo of George Moranian

George Moranian

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks Roger
Photo of Gerben  PAØGDW

Gerben PAØGDW

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ok..i have tested the V1.5 with a third PC here...a Dual Core Intel with Windows 7 Ulimate 32 bits...
exact the same problem !!
several Soft and Hard Resets....same distorted TX signal all over the band...so i am back to the previous V1.4.16..is working fine on all my 3 PC,s and Laptops...

I hope the Flexradio Ingineers are investigating this BIG problem  !!

i have made several screenshots of it.... click on it to ENLARGE !
the first Picture is with only 5 watts on 80m  LSB modulated...
the second Picture is a 5 watt TUNE signal ...

the fisrst one

73 Gerben PA0GDW
(Edited)
Photo of George Moranian

George Moranian

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Usually they are on top of this community forum and they reply with some kind of acknowledgment pretty quickly, not this time however.

George N1NAZ
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 860 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Gerben, did you make Radio Reset ? 
Photo of Ross W8TZ

Ross W8TZ

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have the same problem with my 6300. I am also running Windows 10. So far I have seen this happen twice since the upgrade to V1.5. The cure is to shut down SmartSDR, turn off 6300, turn off power supply, wait a minute and restart everything. Both times this has happened the radio, computer and 12 volt supply had all been off over night. This issue shows up after booting up the computer and starting the radio.
Photo of Marco

Marco

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for the screenshots. I'm trying to reproduce it.
Photo of Marco

Marco

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
When you see this problem next, can you try tune in CW mode and see if the problem is still there?

Thanks,
Marco
Photo of Gerben  PAØGDW

Gerben PAØGDW

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ok Marco...i will try the CW mode.... let you know...
73 Gerben
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 692 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
You can add me to the list as well... I am seeing the same issue.. to clear I simply shutdown SmartSDR 1.5, power down the radio (Flex-6300), power up the radio and start SmartSDR and everything is back to normal..  Windows 10...  Where I first noticed this is in WSJT-X..
(Edited)
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
I need to be added to the list of affected stations on 1.5.   As stated before, the problem is inconsistent.  I never get bad audio reports but over the last 2 days with 1.5 I've gotten several unsolicited bad audio reports.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Looking at Windows 10 to explain is a red Herring. The computer operating system is only involved in converting user request entered via the GUI to TCP commands sent to the radio and sending the UDP packets to the GUI for display.
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1055 Posts
  • 1080 Reply Likes
Agreed.
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Let me add a bit of sauce to the discussion.  I have experienced this issue on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Mac OS X (El Capitan).  The problem has occurred while operating both  1.5 SmartSDR and the current Beta of DogParkSDR using an upgraded 6300 (with SmartSDR 1.5 installed in the 6300).
The issue sounds suspiciously like a radio/server side issue.  Obviously the good engineers at Flex Radio will figure out the genesis of the problem and fix it.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Remember too, upgrading to ssdr 1.5 also upgraded the radio to 1.5. Strictly speaking the connotation of smartsdr refers to the user interface running on Windows. To my knowledge, the name of the software running under Linux inside the black box remains unnamed. It is that piece, I believe, Jay is referring to.
(Edited)
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
It is exactly what I'm referring too.  There is a (for lack of a better way of putting it) server side code that runs within the radio and not on the Windows SSDR client.  I have no other way of enumerating that release other than call it SmartSDR 1.5.
Photo of Steve - N5AC

• 1055 Posts
  • 1080 Reply Likes
"SmartSDR v1.5" tells us what we need to know. Incidentally, the software in the radio is also called SmartSDR.
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Are you all seeing this on Voice and other modes?
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 690 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Both... I have seen it under JT-65 transmissions on WSJT-X, as well as a simple tune and voice transmissions...
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 692 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3849 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
You guys need to see what you have in common, My audio is as good as ever still. There must be something you are using or doing I am not. If there are things in common then maybe it can be tracked down.
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 692 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Bill... I normally do not see the issue start occurring until after a lengthy period of time and a simple reboot of the Flex Radio and restarting the SmartSDR 1.5 program resolves it, until another extended period of time operating or not.  I would assume that if you do not leave your radio on for extended periods you may never see the issue.  I also did not see this until after the upgrade to Version 1.5 which also required a Radio upgrade as well...  Where it first showed was after I left the radio on and SmartSDR on while trying to catch traffic on a MARS frequency, no transmissions involved.  After several hours I flipped over to WSJT-X, hit tune and saw the issue.
Photo of Ned K1NJ

Ned K1NJ

• 314 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
       I wonder if it might help to note the temperature.   After 6 hours on, my 6500
does not show the problem.  DDUTIL says temp. = 33 C.

Ned,  K1NJ
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 692 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
so my thought about long periods of time I just proved incorrect, within an hour of operation I found it to happen again...
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 150 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
This problem is a temperature related firmware problem affecting all 6300s. I challenge any operator who thinks their 6300 is fine to try powering their 6300 at non room temperatures and doing a transmit test from a cold start you will see the same problem some of us see at room temperatures.
Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 208 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
When I logged a support request about this, I was told that it was something to do with power-on calibration so after a 'warm' restart, it is at operating temperature when it calibrates but from cold it isn't and something is going wrong! I have downgraded to 1.4 until it is resolved. It is due to be fixed 'in a future version' apparently.
(Edited)
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 150 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
This is what I was told as well. My 6300 is only 6 weeks old and I updated to v1.51 immediately. I have never tried v1.4 and support didn't recommend a change so apparently I have to just wait till v1.6 is ready. I do not understand why Flex need to wait for contesting mods to be finished before issuing a fix, very poor customer service!
Photo of James Watts

James Watts

• 37 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Is this only affecting 6300's?
Photo of Gerben  PAØGDW

Gerben PAØGDW

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Yes....I think this is a Flex 6300 problem....and yes Sergey ..ofcourse i did all the Resets.. Soft Hard etc.... but as we mentioned...sometimes it is working fine ..but 80% of the time it is NOT good... Processing ON-OFF is not a solution  ...Mic. dis connected...and then TUNE .....still the same problem.......
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 150 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
The problem is dependent on whether you cold start or re-start your 6300... Try it and see.
Photo of George Moranian

George Moranian

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
So far i have tried everything that has been suggested here with no positive result. 

We all have 6300s, by the looks of it.
It does not matter about what operating system platform we are using.
Temperature does not seem to be an issue
Modulation mode does not matter
V1.5 has exasperated the issue.
Some are experiencing this issue intermittently while other have it all the time.

Has there been any response to the help desk ticket?

George
N1NAZ
Photo of Roger Sjölin

Roger Sjölin

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes I have got some suggestions from the helpdesk but they are not different to the suggestions given here so far. I have therefore now downgraded to 1.4.16.142 and the transmitt signal is excellent again.
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 150 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
I have this problem with my 6300. Try a cold start test (this will be bad), then try a re-start (this will be good). My 6300 has dirty tx on every cold start but good tx on a re-start. Try it and see.
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Does this issue happen into a dummy load?  Can anyone test while they are having an issue, switching over to a dummy load and see if the signal is dirty still.
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 690 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Mike, from what I'm seeing it doesn't matter, dummy load or antenna.. what I do find curious is watching the memory usage with DDutil, it seems to continually climb under 1.5  another behavior I've discovered running 1.5 is the TX profiles, sometimes when I first start SmartSDR 1.5 it's blank, not default not anything just blank.  I have since switched back to 1.4.16 and have had no more issues..

Sad thing is now I loose FreeDV... 
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I've noticed the same behavior with the profile combobox.
I'm strongly considering switching back to 1.4 myself. I also can't get WNF to work. I'd add 'correctly' but I don't know what correctly means. I know, not the current thread's subject.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
We are actively and aggressively looking into this issue.  Thank you for the problem reports - they help in our root cause analysis.
Photo of Gerben  PAØGDW

Gerben PAØGDW

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Tnx  Tim....
David Warnberg   mentioned already above in this topic  .... this is a year ago..  :
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/transmited_signal_corruption?topic-reply-list%5Bset...
i have exact the same pictures of the distorted signal.... maybe it is related... 

73 Gerben PA0GDW
Photo of Roger W9YU

Roger W9YU

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I too have the problem on my 6300.  Just now I thought I'd shut down and restart to see if anything changes.  I stopped the SDR program software then pushed the power button to turn off the Flex.  I then turned off the power to the Flex and waited a few minutes and turned the power back on and then pressed the power button on the flex.  It has now been over 8 minutes of a flashing green light and the flex has not come on.  This is a  new one for me as it usually comes on within a minute.  I will power down again and see what happens.

After restarting again the problem is no longer evident.  Will see if it reappears.
(Edited)
Photo of Roger W9YU

Roger W9YU

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
As of now I still have the problems with distorted signals.  After turning on and off it will sometimes clear for a while but always comes back. I am switching back to 1.4.16 until Flex is able to find the problem. It seems to work fine.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3849 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
This will be most interesting to see what they find out, as Tim said 100+ testers along with their own testing in the shop never seen this happen.
Photo of clint yates

clint yates

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
i don't understand how the 100+ testers missed it because it is happening to me more often than not.
Photo of Steve - N5AC

• 1055 Posts
  • 1080 Reply Likes
As Tim says, we are investigating the issue and will let everyone know as soon as we've found the problem. This was not seen by any of the Alpha group (50+ FLEX-6000 owners). If you experience the problem, it would be very useful for us to have a screenshot of your panadapter in SSB and CW during TUNE when the problem occurs (as Marco mentioned earlier). The issue is not (can not be) Operating System related for the reasons that Walt mentioned earlier so I wouldn't spend time trying it on different PCs, etc. Thanks for your reports.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.