Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Dimmable LED desk lamp for operating position recommendation needed

wb3fsr
wb3fsr Member
I presume some of you have been through a selection process to find a usable dimmable LED desk lamp with articulating arm that does not create RFI back into your Flex on HF.

My current desk lamp (Halogen with mini bulb dimmable) makes a great deal of noise in the 80 meter band and I'd like to replace it.  Hard to operate without a lamp.  My wife calls my home office / shack the cave. Often I need a dimmed light in the cave hihi.

Thank for any help.  PeterV WB3FSR on the Jersey Shore

Answers

• Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited August 2017
    Hi Peter.. Not really a resolution but i have the same issue with a Samsung Monitor... Rfi is terrible in 1 of my 2 monitors. Both Samsung. Im assuming at this stage that its the AC to DC powerpack.. I cannot interchange packs ,as monitors have different entry ports. Was looking at a quick process of elimination, but cannot. Its so annoying to say the least!! Rfi on most bands but 20m is by far the worst. Keen to see what others have to say re your problem. No doubt it runs a cheap and nasty adaptor like my monitor...zero filters! Regards Marty - vk2vcc
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I use an LED desk lamp that can be dimmed, swiveled, etc.  It looks like an inverted letter L.  I get no noise or heat, which is great.

Since I have five monitors on the Flex computer,  another computer and monitor that is the APRS I-Gate, and a computer and monitor for my work bench, my wife calls my room the Global Domination Center.  She won't even come in to dust.  Great place to hide Christmas presents.
  • Bill
    Bill Member
    edited June 2020

I have tried many alternatives, but the only one guaranteed for me is a candle with a moveable aluminum foil reflector.

Good Luck

Bill WB8WOB

• wb3fsr
    wb3fsr Member
    edited January 2017
    Good to hear Steve, when u have opportunity would u share make etc Tnx PeterV WB3FSR
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I am still laughing Bill !
    You really nailed that one. Tnx
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I'm using a Satechi DL-60-H 12 volt LED Desk lamp.  You can check their site at www.satechi.com 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    LOL! A one candle-power radio station! But, Bill, are't you concerned about candle soot residue corroding your electronic connections? LOL!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have stayed away from dimmable LED's in the shack until I see more RFI data. I do use a swing-arm magnifier with a circular fluorescent bulb that doesn't seem to cause much trouble, except for a second or two when first switched on.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I too stear clear of dimmer circuits.
    My shack has many relatively cheap clip-on lamps with the old fashioned medium base I have found at Target for example but I use name brand LED's like Phillips med base LED PAR20 spot lamps.
    They're cool, I direct them as needed and if in the unlikely event one dies I can easily replace it since it is not some crazy proprietary base. The lamp can be dimmer capable but I choose not to dim it.
  • wb7ond
    wb7ond Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'm using a simple lamp on an arm base (like a mic boom arm) normally you would clamp to the edge of the desk. Both my mic boom arm and Lamp boom arm are clamped to the monitor arms of my clamp on dual monitor mount. This also has the advantage of providing a riser mount for the mic and lamp booms. the lamps identical to the old cheap desk lamps with a rotary on/off switch mounted in the lampshade/socket. I'm using 60-watt compact fluorescent bulbs I can swivel the lamp to direct the light anywhere on the desktop. The lamp is left off until I need the extra light. I thought I needed a riser for the mic stand to get the arm to clear my monitors. So it migrated to the monitor boom first,  that worked so well that when I discovered the need for more light above the desk I shopped Amazon and found a lamp with a similar arm.  

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Here in the SW there is a guy that shows up at all of the hamfests.  He owns a business that you can find at http://www.wiredco.com/

I bought some warm white LEDs for my 5th wheel camper from him and there isn't any RFI that I can see coming from them.  I liked them so much that the next time I saw him at a hamfest,  I bought some 12" and 24" warm white **** lights and I don't detect any RFI on the Flex from either of them.

The **** lights are nice.  I put one under the shelf on my desk and it works perfectly - indirect light on the surface of the desk.  The other is in a stereo cabinet that now doubles as a display case for my key collection.  The **** lights come in bright white or soft/warm white.  I personally like the soft or warm white color spectrum much better.  I can't remember if they came with a short power cord extension that has a built in dimmer or if I had to purchase that separately.  You'll just have to check.

Give him a call if you need help deciding on what to get.  He is also a ham so he can steer you in the right direction and maybe comment on RFI issues if any.  The lights run off of 12v which is great because I run everything except the amp here off of 12v battery.  You could also run them off of a wall wart or the shack 12v supply.

I have no affiliation with his company.

Norm - W7CK
  • xiaiy il
    xiaiy il Member
    edited February 2019
    I am using an LED desk lamp that I bought on Amazon. It looks neat and looks modern. It is very bright and can change color from cool white to warm yellow in 5 settings. You tilt the light bar up and down, turn the light assembly left and right, rotate the light bar clockwise and counterclockwise.
  • wb3fsr
    wb3fsr Member
    edited February 2019
    xiaiy il,

I purchased the same lamp 2 years ago after I started this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSQ8ZNA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&am...

Lampat LED Desk Lamp, Dimmable LED Table Lamp 

It has performed without issue and has not presented any RFI that I have detected.  I have recommended this lamp to other hams with no reported issues.

PeterV WB3FSR
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited February 2019
    I bought some bulbs for my boat from this source a few years ago.  Good service and products.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.