Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Digital Mode Transmission Distortion

Ed, K0KC
Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I recently constructed a cable to put my Flex-6700 on the digital modes with my Tigertronics SignalLink USB modem. I have been able to make a number of JT65 and JT9 contacts with this setup, but have noted when transmitting, the waveform (including the baseline) on the panadapters will randomly jump perhaps 30 or 40 dB and then quickly returns to normal. I have not noted a glitch in output power when this problem occurs. This anomaly probably occurs at least once per 50 second transmission and lasts less than one second. It appears similar to what one would see from a lightening strike somewhere nearby when receiving. In this case, however, there is no lightening and it is the transmitted waveform that I am viewing rather than the received one. SSDR 0.12.17 running under Win 7/32, DIGIU mode.

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Same issue which does not appear to affect transmission.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    That is the question I had too. Is this just a visual anomaly or is it being transmitted as RF. I suspect it is just a visual FFT display anomaly. Ed can you verify this?
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Tim, I suspect that is a visual anomaly. I never listen to JT65 or JT9 signals off the air or via a monitor, but yesterday, I did engage the monitor and there was no clicking, noise or other indication that the RF signal was affected by the display jumping around. If I do not hear anything in the monitor, I think that it is a good assumption that the RF is clean, especially since I also observed an external power meter and could not see an output power "glitch". I have had no problems making contacts either.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    That is what I suspected. We will be doing some things to clean up the spectrum display on TX in future versions of SmartSDR.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Another data point...when I use the tune button in WSJT-X (transmits a single tone), the display jumps around. It did not seem to do that when I used the tune button in SSDR.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This is just another manifestation of the FFT display issue I mentioned above.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Seems much better in 0.13.10
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I agree...seems much better in 0.13.10.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.