Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Digital Voice Possibilities

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in New Ideas
Many HAMS in my area are experimenting with a DV4mini which gave me an idea, why couldn't FLEX come up with a similar device (or use the DV4mini) to be able to operate in all digital voice modes?  DSTAR is one and can now, but what about DMR or C4FM could those also not be attainable with the FLEX 6XXX series radio?

I have not looked into it other then playing with the FLEX radio but what OS does the flex run?  I would assume it's a linux based kernel.  Again thinking outloud, my understanding is the DV4mini will operate on the Raspberry PI, seems to me as it would be a small step to get it to work...

Thoughts..

David

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The DV4mini is strictly a gateway only, you can't use it on a Flex therefore. And there is no similar device.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Dave, would you do a quick compare / contrast DV4mini vs DSTAR, aside from the somewhat proprietary nature of DSTAR?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As you can read here, the DV4mini can be used as a hotspot for a lot of DV modes: http://www.helitron.de/shop/product_i...
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    ok... however DSTAR is a chip based digital voice decoder no?  so is C4FM as well as DMR to am I all wet?  Guess my question is why couldn't a USB multi chip based decoder be created for the FLEX??
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    David, you're right there, but I doubt whether DMR or C4FM could be useful for a Flex radio, as there are dedicated FM handheld radios for these modes out there. I have been using D-Star for quite a long time now, and - although I find FreeDV quite useful on HF - D-Star is so prone to glitches, that it is even doubtful whether it is a usable mobile mode.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Walt, I do not have a DV4mini....  I've just been listening to others talk about it..  I had a ICOM 9100, sold it, got a ThumbDV for the FLEX. I also have sitting in my shack a FTM-400 (C4FM), I also use FreeDV with the FLEX...  just trying to think outoud as to really what ARE the differances other then the chip base??  

I can also tell you right now, I can take my SDRplay, set it up to listen to and decode them (FreeDV, DSTAR and C4FM all done successfully to date, no DMR repeater in my area to test with).. all software driven.. granted I'm not transmitting but I can intercept the signal and decode it.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    True.....and there is now C4FM HF nets out there as we speek, just like DSTAR HF... the new FT-991 does HF C4FM..  no idea as to the DMR situation
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I just forsee a market for this coming as more and more HAMS get into digital voice.. and I'd lay money it would draw lots more customers to FLEX...one radio truly FLEXIBLE enough to do it all..

• Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    As was said already, the DV4mini is a hot spot. It does NOT encode or decode any of the 4 modes it supports. So, it cannot "act" like any of the 4 mode radios; DSTAR, FUSION, DMR, or P25. It just passes the signals from one of those radios to the internet.

DSTAR is not proprietary, that is why there is a non-ICOM DV3000 dongle that can be plugged into the FLEX 6xxx series. The FLEX 6xxx series radio works very fine with the DV3000. On DSTAR HF I have worked over 40 states. Also to Canada, Australia, England, Costa Rica. It will never replace CW or SSB, but another fun mode in the quiver of HAM radio.  
  • Gary L. Robinson
    Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    DMR (assuming it could be implemented in the Flex 6000 series) would be VERY useful in my 6300 - and any other hams with uhf-uhf transverters. I have a 2mtr transverter in line with my 6300 and we have a couple 2mtr DMR repeaters within range. I already have a DMR 440mhz mobile and HT but would still like to have it in my 6300. I don't really want yet another rig just to cover another band taking up desk space. And the same applies to Fusion too! ---Gary WB8ROL
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    "DSTAR is not proprietary, that is why there is a non-ICOM DV3000 dongle that can be plugged into the FLEX 6xxx series."

DSTAR may not technically be proprietary, and anyone may be free to produce a DSTAR product. But you'll have to pay Digital Voice Systems, Inc for the privilege of using their very-much-proprietary AMBE vocoder which is central to the operation of DSTAR. (And DMR and P25 and Fusion, as far as I know.) Isn't that the biggest reason that DSTAR (on the Flex) is implemented using a hardware dongle and not as a software-only waveform like FreeDV?
    Doug K4DSP

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    FYI... Yeasu's digital voice (Fusion) is a P25 encrypted digital voice signal with C4FM modulation that can be decoded via software. 

There is a software called "Digital Speech Decoder" or DVD that can be used to accomplish this decoding... I'm doing it now with a SDRPlay and that software.

Here is a link with more information about the software and the supported platforms.
    http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Digital_Speech_Decoder_(software_package)
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited September 2018
    I am looking for a project such as this one.  If ANYONE knows of open source software for C4FM,  DV4Mini or if there is just some place there is a nearly complete write up,  please send it along.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.