Did you See Peter Hart's RadCom Review of Flex-6700

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I usually enjoy Peter Hart's reviews in the RSBG magazine RadCom.

Have you see Peter Hart's review of the Flex-6700 in the October issue of RadCom?  If so, what do you think about it?

If you haven't seen it, you can download a copy (in PDF format) from my website.

I was surprised to find Mr. Hart's review... well, sort of dry.  Not negative in any way, and certainly very positive for sure.  But somehow I felt the review was lacking.

Sure, he says
The pandapter and waterfall displays are most impressive... excellent for monitoring weak beacons... and it is surprising what can be 'seen' even under fairly flat conditions.[R]eceivers sound very clean across the whole tuning range and filters, notches, and noise reduction are very effective.  The transmit audio quality was also reported as excellent and highly adjustable.
He concludes by saying the Flex-6700 is an
[E]xcellent fully-featured and high performing SDR tranceiver at the top end of a growing range of models.  [The] software is continuing to evolve adding more and more functions [to] bring a new dimension to operation on the amateur bands.
That is certainly great praise.  But somehow... I was expecting a more vibrant review.  I feel like something's missing.

Am I just being too sensitive in my reading?  What do you think about Mr. Hart's review?
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 623 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Peter, sometimes the XYL will come up behind me while I am taking a break from a pileup and ask, "Do you love me?".

I answer "Of course I do.  I love you."

Later, when I found her pouting, I ask her what's wrong.  She replies, "You didn't say you love me a lot.".

Anyway, a review from someone who doesn't actually own the radio is always pretty objective.  As you say, at least it was positive and factual.

Oh, and I love my Flex... a lot!

Steve