Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Did you know you can not backup Profiles on a 6600M?

NA7AA Tom
NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
No way to backup Profiles on a 6600M

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You have to be able to write the backup files somewhere, which means you need a pc connected and smartsdr to backup profiles.
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you look at the PROFILES on SSDR, running on your PC, you will see IMPORT/EXPORT for your saved profiles.

Apparently it cannot be accomplished directly from the 6xxx radios directly, only via SSDR on you local PC.

Tom W3FRG
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Oops.  didn't get a chance to explain before I hit return.  Just not a good day...

So my story is:   Theres no way to backup Profiles on a M model.  

I did the Help Desk thing and was told my 6600M can't be used to backup Profiles or anything else.  I asked the question why can't Flex provide a way such as a flash drive, the USB port is right there on the back of the radio.  Answer: SECURITY, not going to happen.  I found this out after I did the recommend reset for a problem I was having.  SORRY, only Windows SSDR can do backups under the name Profiles import/export.  ****, wish I knew that before the reset.  But if you can using Windows SSDR, no SECURITY issues?  Guess not!

Being a Apple user, this means I need to install Parallels VM and Windows on my iMac.  Ok what the ****, I'm now committed to Flex, even went to the dinner at Dayton, I love this radio, great dinner.  Besides I spent $6200 on it, which includes the GPSDO, yes that sounds like commitment.  Well might as well upgrade my Apple computer as well for best performance.

All done.  Load Windows SSDR, run the program, very nice.  Think Im going to like running a computer as a radio.  Time to get to why I invested all this extra money on the Flex.  Find profiles import/export, push the button and ...... Nope, doesn't work.  Get an error message, stating import/export not supported.

So back to the Help Desk and fill out a ticket for help.  Super fast response.  Flex does not support  Parallels / Windows on a Apple computer.......  Maybe go on the Community Board and ask for help with a fix.

Is this what I can expect?  I want to operate my Flex radio, not having to deal with landmines.   My QSO's should be on my Flex radio not on this Community Board or Help Desk.  

I think I have had enough.  

For Sale.   One slightly used Flex Radio with GPSMO  Call for Info  Tom NA7AA  650-207-2772
    Will not respond here.

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Since you have a Mac, you should try DogparkSDR.  I am not sure if it has an export profiles option but I will check when I get home.  You can download the software for free and try it. 

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to export profiles using a virtual Windows machine on your Mac?
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thank you Butch.  Ive been playing with DogPark.  Can't hold a candle to SSDR.   Not intuitive at all.
    The Heads up display isn't very efficient.  Hard to to find things.  I've re down loaded 12 times and keep playing with it.   
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    DogparkSDR does take some getting used it.  I have been using it now for a couple of years and love it.  I remote from my office using Dogpark and work FT8 and the digital modes.
    I still don't understand why the export profiles wouldn't work via a virtual windows machine.  I use VMware Fusion and run both Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines on my Macbook Pro.  I will have to install SSDR on Win 10 and see if I have the same problem.

BurchK4QXX
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    How about IosSSDR?  Can you back up profiles to an Ipad? 

• NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Windows SSDR works very well on Apple, just can't save Profiles.

RE: Dogpark.  How do you adjust tuning power down.  Cant find that button.  
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Have you tried using Apple's built-in tool, BootCamp? I am using that on a MacBook 12" and everything seems to work as if it were a native Windows PC. No issues at all.

Using BootCamp, the Mac boots Windows directly, rather than having Windows run in a shell. I have run SmartSDR on it with no apparent problems, although I did not try backing up profiles. No need, since that is done on my shack Dell XPS desktop.

Craig, KØCF

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Did you try installing tuxera on you apple it makes ntfs files and flashdrives compatible with apple, I suspect this is the reason you are getting the error. So then after the tuxera install you should be able to insert a windows usb stick and when you do export select that stick as the destination and it should work. Tuxera I believe is in the app store and Im pretty sure its free. I have it installed on my mbp and also on my mac mini with bootcamp windows.
  • Kevin WM4J
    Kevin WM4J Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    RE: Dogpark.  How do you adjust tuning power down.  Cant find that button.
    It's in the "Radio" tab on the Preferences pane labeled "Atu". Make sure the box is checked and adjust the slider to the desired value. Mine is set to 5 watts in the picture below.
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thank you Tom NA7AA
  • Kevin WM4J
    Kevin WM4J Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    DPSDR can take some getting used to, for me it was well worth the time to get to know it. If you have any other questions let me know.
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thank you Kevin. I’m sure more questions will come up.
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Not yet
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited June 2018
    The profile file format is not part of the public API.

https://www.dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR_Help/dogparkSDR_Overview.html
    Note: You will still need the SmartSDR client running on a Windows PC or a Mac running Parallels, or a FlexRadio Maestro to install new radio firmware, save and restore profiles or to setup USB Cables connected to the radio.
    The import/export profiles works under Parallels on a Mac exactly as it does on a Windows PC.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    IMHO the elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring is that if you buy a M model radio you should not need a computer. Period. Presumably the argument is that the M radios are self sufficient; looks like they are not.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    You should be able to just insert a USB drive into the USB port and save your configuration. What security concerns could there be??? Can do it with every other rig with a USB port. Can even do it with my HT
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I would imagine the security concern is the possibility of malware or viruses being introduced into a system that necessarily lacks updateable security software.  USB drives are one of the most common methods of spreading such infections, and would be almost impossible to troubleshoot remotely.
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Agreed. That’s why I bought the 6600M
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Talk to Tim.....
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Well I would think if the driver is in with Smart SDR and loaded that way there is no concern. When was the last time you heard of an ICOM getting infected with a virus because of a driver when saving a profile or writing a profile?? Not
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    My Kenwood 990s has one sticking out of it!
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Agree also, You need a computer to do backups, access cluster data, run other modes such as rtty, ft8, etc.  I should have bought the 6400 and saved a $1000.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I bought the 'M' model with the clear understanding that the front controls could do what the Maestro could do.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    My TS 990 was the same way.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    By allowing the radio to read from an untrusted file system it can expose it to a potential attack vector.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thus the importance of designing and implementing countermeasures rather than simply disable important functionality.
  • Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I wish Flex would listen to their customers. This class of customer does not want to run Smart SDR on a PC. They should not have to in order to do something this simple, but necessary. Either utilize the memory that must be on the embedded tablet, or provide some external or other internal memory for this function.

Perhaps it can't be done right now, but it should go on the list, if Flex wants to pursue customers who want a front panel interface only. It should also apply to the stand-alone Maestro.

My two cents, FWIW.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    As Tim stated, the radio is open to an attack using an un trusted file system. All radios that do this are at risk. So in light of this it looks like this is just the way things are and will stay.

But what I wonder is why is it safer to access my computer file system as SSDR saves the profile files to it?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.