Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

desired features

K4ELO
K4ELO Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I would like to see pre-adaptive distortion as I'm sure would others.  Also, a way to turn off the waterfall display on the M models.
4 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• K4ELO
    K4ELO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bob all I can say is: I was running an Anan with pure signal before I got the Flex.  One of my net friends said the Flex audio was good but not pristine like the Anan.  Yes, the human ear is sensitive to distortion.  Both intermodulation and harmonic.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    OMG here we go again! i want this too but i was ganged up on for brining this up. getting some popcorn and a **** and going to watch the fireworks
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Opinions, opinions. I find almost all Anans with pure signal are too loud, over processed  and very hard to set up correctly because of the very complicated settings.
    I prefer the natural sound of the Flex. The audio chain in the Flex is so clean no human ear can hear distortion created in the radio, unless it is not set up correctly.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    I think the Flex and Anan can both sound great with proper setup. It has nothing to do with Flex lacking APD. The 6600 and Power Genius XL are both very good on the air without APD. I have a 6600 and 8000dle. Both are driven by the W2IHY 8 band EQ and EQ Plus. Both sound great. The Flex without APD is very acceptable as far as IMD. Much cleaner than some Yaesus including the 1200,eooo, and Yeasu 5000. The Yaesu 3000 is one of the dirtiest radios I’ve seen for newer model radios. The big thing I see iss users pushing their radios and amps to the limit. The SPE 1.3k amp is pretty clean at 1000 watts but starts looking bad as you approach 1300watts. Reason is the amp ihas no headroom. Same can be said for PW1, Quadra, and ALS1300 as you run them to their max. Would I turn away APD? No, but I would rather see Flex give us features that would be a benefit to the majority of users. My two cents Dave wo2x
  • K4ELO
    K4ELO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Very good comment Dave.  I think you are right on the money.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    what’s the problem Tim, members can’t voice their opinion ? only positive comments? “ well, don’t promise what you cant deliver. that has not been the norm here. that’s why the road map is not published anymore.”
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    In a contesting Multi- environment it is the phase noise that is a problem, not the IMD.
    Take a radio (any) and add 20db amplification to those low level signals, place that on the same band as another station listening to S-1 signals - You can watch the noise floor follow the other station.
    This is made worse with amps because the phase noise doesn't go down with the drive power.  (for the math folks,  drive power -7db then the +20 in the amp = 1500W output and +20db in phase noise)

Perhaps APD will help but even then loosing the 2nd SCU in the process may be a bigger problem.  In theory it is great, but how much will it help a well designed radio? 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    OK.  Where is your proof that we have promised a feature that was not delivered?  And provide proof that the roadmap is no longer published because of it?  If you can't provide it, then your statements are false, regardless if it is opinion or not.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I think most people in the Flex community would like to see PS incorporated in the Flex, why not? But for most it is not a deal breaker.
    I believe Flex has delivered everything they planned on so far. So that is not why the road map stopped.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    if i still had the road map i would post it. but there have been many promises on dates which never were met. many can attest to this if they can be honest with themselves.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    You didn't say dates, you said don't promise what you can't deliver.  What have we not delivered that was promised?

Yes, we have missed a few target dates.  Business is a dynamic process where things outside of our control and unknowns change priorities and push dates.  It is the nature of the beast.  I am not doubting that, but unless you were in the room when these decisions were made, you really don't know.

If this is your conjecture, then state it as such, not as a fact.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    i’m on the middle of catching a flight so can’t debate this further but will later.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Nick, I can't find it right now, I remember reading a comment by Gerald were he went through all the releases and found only two that were a couple weeks late. For that much being later he was dragged through the mud. There were and still are people just waiting to pounce on anything they can find. So, no road maps...lol to funny

It is not a good thing to argue about dates they hoped to meet. never promised But either way they still delivered.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    here’s my thoughts. correct or not, if your going to debate anything, the post should not be removed because the moderator does not like the comment. this is a open forum so i’m told. as long as the post is not saying anything offensive it should be let on. so with regards to promises, a date is a promise.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Your comments were not removed because I did not like them, they were in violation of Community usage policies.

Here they are for your convenience.

When using the Community always show respect to others regardless of their opinions. Give people the benefit of the doubt, just like you would if talking to them in person. Posts that include personal attacks, overtly negative comments, non-constructive criticism, falsehoods, defamation of character, libelous speech, or gratuitous profanity will be removed, as they do not contribute to the community atmosphere we want to maintain. Any pattern of poor behavior may result in losing your Community posting privileges.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    We all saw you comments, and all is good. I don't see this as a debate, it shouldn't be. Many people on the forum will call people out for commenting poor or incorrect info.
    The comments you have just made have been talked about a ton over the years, I don't think many want to pick up the old topic again...
  • K4ELO
    K4ELO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Speaking as a retired electrical engineer with many years of hardware and software design I can say that it is impossible to predict how long it will take to finish a program or fix a bug.  It is also extremely difficult to deal with changing component lead times.  Those who complain about Flex delivery dates have no experience in the industry. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Wayne's ideas are already in our database as items to be considered for inclusion in future versions of SmartSDR.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    falsehoods ?  I don't think so, lets see, Target for shipping and missed.. Oct 2017, Nov 2017, Dec 2017, Jan 2018 and finally shipped in Feb 2018.  Let's not get me started with this stuff.  Enough said.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I agree which supports my opinion yet again, don't promise what you can't deliver.  If you know ANYTHING about manufacturing, underpromise and overdeliver.   Oh and by the way, I have 40 years in engineering. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have 60 years in engineering, who cares.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Why are you posthing when this was directed at K4ELO???  60 years?  Humm, you don't look much older then 50 my friend. If you do have 60 years eng background, you look good for someone over 80 years old.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I also vote for ability to turn off or reduce the size of the waterfall on the M models..  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Targets are not promises.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.