Description of 6400/6600 Architecture and Programming Model with comparison to 6300/6500/6700?

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
Where can I find a description of the 6400/6600 architecture and programming model that highlights differences from the 6300/6500/6700?

Can all commands documented in the SmartSDR TCP/IP API be used to control the 6400/6600? Will the description of this API be updated to reflect new capabilities provided by the 6400/6600?
Photo of Dave AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

• 94 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 712 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Official Response
There are no plans to make major changes to the API.  I would say that our approach is somewhat akin to the linux model, if a bit more conservative.  If we find that we have made a serious error in our API, we tend to figure out the right way to do it and leave both the old "wrong" way and implement the new "right" way and mark the old way of doing it deprecated (usually in FlexLib) in the next public version.  Then a public version or 2 down the road, we remove the deprecated functionality.

That's the general approach.  Obviously, if there is something security related, we may move faster than that.

This is a bit different than the approach like Windows where you support APIs indefinitely, regardless of problems found with them.  This has some advantages in that you can still run some of the same programs on Windows 10 as you did against Windows 95, but this is seldom a good reason to keep around a bad idea in my experience.

In general, we are not going to mess with the API.  But we are not hard set against ever changing it if there if there is a good reason for doing so.  

Does that help answer the question?

For what it's worth, I expect that those that are using the API appropriately (reading values like preamp settings, antenna options, etc from the radio) will find that the FLEX-6400/FLEX-6600 models just work with their existing code.
(Edited)