Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DEMI 2MLDPA75 2m Amp for the 6700 on QST

EA4GLI
EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
There is an article on the 2015 December issue of QST about the DEMI 2MLDPA75 2 Meter amplifier. It is definitely a worthy addition to the Flex 6700. There is a specific part of the article that mentions that DEMI is in the process of redesigning this amp.

Anyone knows more about this NEW amp for the 6700?
Is the one currently displayed in the DEMI site the new one? http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/product-p/2mldpa-75.htm
I see a 20 week turn around... that is 5 months... are there other options in the market worth considering? This just seems such a great match for the 6700....

Answers

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The model shown on DEMI's website is for their lower powered LDPA. The LDPA 75 has higher heat sink fins and they are arranged from front to back rather than side to side.

I have had my LDPA75 for more than six months and it's great for my purposes.
    I was glad to read that DEMI's only "tweak" were to the chassis size and color scheme, which aren't that important to me.

DEMI makes great stuff and they stand behind their products, but they do have an incredible 
    lead time from order to ship!  I think that in their "heart of hearts" they consider themselves a "kit " company and assemble their kits for customers "when they find the time". I doubt that they have ever considered building the devices first and maintaining a stock for people with a need for immediate gratification!

The other options I have investigating are either much more expensive, or less capable bare bones, with no build options.

Good luck with your search.

Let us know if you discover any new options!

Roy AC2GS
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    There are these German guys who know a thing or two about transverters... http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/home.html
    But I do like the made-for-the-Flex-6700 approach of the DEMI. I guess I will have to order now and hope that I can figure out how to get it here by the time they are done building it.

Thanks for the clarification Roy because I do get a bit confused on their website. 
    I guess I am due for a call to DEMI and talk to them directly.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Kuhne makes beautiful, but very expensive equipment. No on-demand assembly with ridiculously long delays.

If you have a 6700, the LDPA design cuts a significant amount of cost - no mixer needed and less filtering, just a low noise pre-amp and a high gain linear amplifier.

DEMI are a friendly crew, more than willing to answer questions.

DEMI does offer their customers a LOT of time to plan their eventual installation details.

This hobby has not been great when it comes to immediate gratification. I have been on a waiting list since April for an Expert Linear 1.3K-FA and since 2011 for an LP-500.

I'm glad I didn't have to hold my breath...

Roy AC2GS
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ha ha ha, you are so right!!
    I've been waiting for the 1.3k for over a year. I am ready to give up and just be happy with the 1k.
    This is definitely a hobby for patient people. Maybe I get lucky and someone wants to sell their DEMI MLDP75. I will give DEMI a call next week see what they have.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    With SPE you seem to have to pick the "lucky distributor" that is getting the next pallet of amplifiers! My US based distributor has gotten SPE's solemn promise that he will receive his pallet of amplifiers, that includes my order, before the end of December. I'm getting my patch cords ready!

I figure that I'll get my Maestro first, my 1.3K-FA second, and if I am REALLY lucky my LP-500 before the END of 2016...
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Isn't the LP-500 going down the path of the mythical AT-4040? Seems it has been a few years since the announcement of the LP-500
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Larry Phipps N8LP has been "tinkering" with the design of the LP-500 for MANY years.

It's felt like it's been "three months away" from production for a few years now. Larry came to Dayton this year with his prototype "almost finished" only to announce that he would be upgrading to a new screen driver chip that would be out "any day now" and kick up the LP-500's resolution, update speed and size (from 5 inch display to 7 inch display)...

That chip was finally introduced to the market 6 months later...

He keeps people "up to date" thru his website (www.telepostinc.com), and a Yahoo Group. At last report he was still working on a windows program that would simulate the display with its touch controls on a PC window...

It shouldn't be more than three months away from production...

No really!

Really!

<GRIN>

Roy AC2GS
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    The best part of the DEMI LDPA's is that they are NOT transverters. They are Low Drive Power Amps. They take the 6700's 10mw on 2mtrs and outputs 75watts, in addition to a nice receiver preamp. Mike
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Actually it also easy to turn a VHF Demi Transverter into a LDPA ,both use same PCB 

if i remember need to remove Mixer and replace it by jumper and bypass one of receiver buffer and filter   ,if some one what to knot more i may post detail of the modification

same for go from 25 to 75W version  need only to replace power module available from RF part 
    and remplace capacitor on band pass filter for mika one  (1Kv) available at mouser  and finally 
    put a CX-140N   TX/RX relay (Henry radio)

i do it on my after upgrade from 6500 to my 6700  

Marc L  VE2OLM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.