Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Delay in Winkeyer emulation

Johan Schepers PA3AIN
edited February 2017 in New Ideas

I had by the use of N1MM+ with keying via the Winkeyer emulation sometimes a unacceptable delay detected between the command and the start of real keying.

I make also some delay measurements in CW with keying via CAT-ports and via Winkeyer emulations ports.

Principal is always a delay to expect, because Windows is a multitasking OS. The communication via a serial port has a low priority in Windows. There will always be some delay.

Because CAT and Winkeyer both use a (virtual) serial port, I expected about the same delay on CAT and Winkeyer. But there where big differences between both methods.There where also differences between the ports at the same moment.

By use of the Winkeyer emulation was in my situation the shortest delay of the start about 170 ms and the longest delay about 700 ms (repeated difference between two Winkeyer emulation ports in the same test situation!)

By use of CAT-ports was the delay of the start between 0,5 and 2 ms.

I had the measurements repeated by different starts of the PC. After every start-up the results changes every time.

Conclusion:

The delay in CAT is minimal.

The shortest delay by use of the Winkeyer emulation is acceptable, but if the delay is to high, You can try an other Winkeyer emulation port or try a new start-up.

In general: I prefer CWX.

Greetings,

Johan PA3AIN

Comments

• Joe Duerbusch
    Joe Duerbusch Member
    edited January 2017
    I have found using Writelog with keying via the Winkeyer emulation sometimes a unacceptable delay detected between the command and the start of real keying.  When I first start up at the beginning of the day, the Winkeyer works fine.  But after the computer has been on for hours, there  is a rather long delay between hitting the function keys in WL and the beginning of the Transmission.  Maybe it is the screen saver.

Along with that, I have been using a REAL Winkeyer for several years and works fine until this week when I upgraded to v1.6.21.77.  Now my REAL Winkeyer sends choppy CW.  

I will try both ways during the contest this weekend and see which works better.

Joe K0BX

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have found using Writelog with keying via the Winkeyer emulation sometimes a unacceptable delay detected between the command and the start of real keying.  When I first start up at the beginning of the day, the Winkeyer works fine.  But after the computer has been on for hours, there  is a rather long delay between hitting the function keys in WL and the beginning of the Transmission.  Maybe it is the screen saver.

The same here but using QArtest and my 6300 during the last contest.
    I already pointed it out on another post, but, up today no feedback from FRS.

73'

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for reporting this.  We have several issues in the system to address latency, some specific to CW and the WInkeyer.  Stay tuned for updates on this.

On the choppy CW with your hardware Winkeyer, make sure that you have Iambic turned off.
  • Joe Duerbusch
    Joe Duerbusch Member
    edited February 2016
    I am glad FRS is looking into the delay.
    As far as the "Choppy CW", well I think the problem is not the sending but the Xmit Audio of the Sidetone.  I noticed during the CW contest that even with the choppy sending the DX stations got my call and report 100 percent.,  Listening and watching the display it looks like the RF was going out fine but ever so often, something would distort the sending audio.
    I thought it might be RF getting in to the headphones or speaker but I had the same results on other antennas, high or low power and on a dummy load.  I did not have this problem on previous versions and I have not changed anything.  I will keep looking for the problem source.

Joe K0BX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.