Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Decrease sidetone pitch steps

WA8SRA
WA8SRA Member
edited July 2018 in New Ideas
Currently, the sidetone pitch step-size is 50 Hz, which IMHO is too large. I think 10 Hz would be much more 'ear friendly'. 

73, Dale
WA8SRA
3 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I agree.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I agree also.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
        If necessary you can adjust manually by entering the desired tone frequency.  Mine is at
    385 Hz. and usually stays there, but having 5 Hz steps would be neat, just  to get in the
    ballpark.

Ned,  K1NJ
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Wow...I didn't know that. Thanks. That's good enough for me!
    Steve N4LQ
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Hi Ned,

Thanks for pointing that out.  I had forgotten that was  possible by direct entry. Good call.

• WA8SRA
    WA8SRA Member
    edited November 2015
    Steve,

Entering an absolute pitch frequency works -- IF you know ahead of time what that pitch should be. But if you don't, it's very useful to be able fine-tune the pitch empirically by shifting it up and down until you find the pitch that works for your *system*; that system being your headphones, or speakers and room acoustics, and always, your ears. For years, my optimum pitch was 600 Hz., however, I've discovered that I now have a very sharp hi-Q null at that frequency -- probably from 48 years or so of CW at a pitch of 600 Hz ;-)  So, I've had to find a new preferred pitch  (that process can take a lot of experimentation) and ended up with 480 Hz. 

Ned -- I agree that 5 Hz steps would be even better than the 10 Hz that I had suggested.

73, Dale
    WA8SRA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.