DDUTIL question regarding parallel port (flex 6500 and amp with auto band select)

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Windows 10 operating system and ddutil (flex 6500 @ latest software)
I am trying to connect amp with bcd input for auto band select. I installed a parallel port card and Windows installed driver, when I go to device manager I get "device working" or information that all is ok. When I start ddutil and check for signals out of the parallel port I do not see proper signals. I also tested the ddutil manual data set feature (parallel port) and do not get signals from card. Did I miss something to load? Any help would be appreciated. I am using a card from a previous install but with device manager all ok, do not want to order new card unless absolutely sure it's needed.

Thanks and 73's
Joe
WD5Y
Photo of Joe WD5Y

Joe WD5Y

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9035 Posts
  • 3434 Reply Likes
Welcome to the world of the ever changing parallel adapter.  Parallel adapters are defined by the IEEE-1284 spec that indicates that signal level on all pins should be +/- 5 VDC.  In recent years, parallel card manufacturers have cost reduced their products to be complaint with the parallel printer spec which doesn't use all of the pins.  As a result, device that "bit bang" pins using a parallel interface fail to work.  The SDR-1000 is one of those products.

I suspect you have a parallel card that "suffers" from this cost reduction. 
Photo of Joe WD5Y

Joe WD5Y

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I do see a 5 volt signal on some pins but they never change when I make different bcd selections with ddutil. It is as if ddutil is not communicating with the card. I did see that .net 2.0 is needed for ddutil, not sure if this has been loaded with Windows 10. All of the other functions are working with ddutil - temp, , etc.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1402 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Joe
Are you running Win 10 32bit or 64bit??

The reason I ask is, my SDR1000 works fine on my parallel port adapter with Win 10 32 bit, and has never worked in Win 10 64 bit. On same PC in a 32/64 bit dual boot setup.  Microsoft removed the ability to bit bang the pins in the 64 bit versions of Windows when they started releasing 64 bit versions of Windows.

Bit Banging explained at ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_banging
Which does not explain why Microsoft removed it.
They haven't really explained why either.

73, Jay - NO5J
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9032 Posts
  • 3431 Reply Likes
To low-level control the parallel port hardware, you have to do this from kernel mode; you cannot do this from user mode.  For the SDR-1000 there was a open source program called PortTalk that facilitated accessing the parallel port hardware from user mode.  It was only a 32-bit application (that may have changed).  I do not know how DDUtil does it.  You will have to post that question to their Yahoo group.
Photo of Joe WD5Y

Joe WD5Y

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Thanks so much for the help. You are correct, I am running Windows 10 64 bit. Not sure what to do on this one, I hate to revert back to 32 bit, did you have to go back to set up the dual boot feature after starting with 64 bit?

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
Photo of Anthony Bowyer

Anthony Bowyer

• 33 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Is this a true hardware level LPT port? If not, it won't work with ddutil. Also, if it's PCIE, you will need to add the correct port address in DDUTIL. If you look in device manager and resources for the device, it's the first in the list (two are listed in my case. 1st I suspect is the control port). It will be listed as a hex value. You can then convert it to decimal and enter it into DDUTIL.
Photo of Joe WD5Y

Joe WD5Y

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
It is a PCI card. I did convert the resource address (first listed) to decimal. I did not load .net 2.0 because ddutil is working with other control items, just not BCD, could this be an issue? I did use this card with an earlier Windows and worked fine. It was used for a wavenode wn1 box - parallel port control. I am trying to get it setup for auto amp bandswitching this time. Thanks for helping. I just posted here because I knew some here have been setting up ddutil for staton controls.

73's
Joe
WD5Y
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1402 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Joe
In my case, this has been an issue since Windows 7 64bit was installed. When I upgraded WindowsXP 32 bit. to Windows 7, I started out with a freshly formatted partition and installed Windows 7 64bit. Which is when I discovered the problem with 64bit versions, After a few days I realized it was hopeless, so I reformatted the partition and did a clean install of Windows 7 32bit, which worked fine with the SDR1000 from the start. I then cleared some more hard drive space, added another partition and did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit on that partition, so I could boot either version of Windows.

I did so because Windows 32bit versions can only access a total of 4gb's of RAM. I had 8gb installed in that machine. Why not enable it all? At the time I had both an SDR1000 and a FLEX5000a. To switch radios I do have to reboot, initially I could run both radios with 32bit, but the last two PowerSDR releases made that more difficult.

PowerSDR 2.5.3 was the last version that had support for the SDR1000, and would force the FLEX5000a to revert back to PowerSDR 2.5.3 because when PowerSDR starts it insists on installing the older firmware into the radio. It became a hassle, to keep them both working in the 32bit version so as of today the SDR1000 is run from the 32bit version and the 64bit version does everything else.

When Windows 8.1, and Windows 10  were released I just reused those two  partitions and installed both 32 and 64bit versions so I could continue running the SDR1000 from the same PC. When I built the next PC, I used the same setup.

So yeah I had to go back and create the dual boot setup. Once you get it setup it works, getting it setup correctly, may result in a few new gray hairs, but they have plenty of friends.

BTW, Microsoft sometimes insists that installing both versions on the same PC is impossible
... well, unless you have two valid license keys.then it's possible, but it's unsupported. Oh, and please don't tell anyone your doing that. ;). Getting two license keys is just a matter of paying for two license keys, i use the same install media for both. The upgrade to Windows 10, was no more difficult than the upgrade to Windows 8.1 was.

Blame Microsoft, I do so quite regularly, I prefer Linux, But my radio's still prefer Windows.
All my machines are actually multi-boot, 2 copies of Windows, and at least 1 Linux install.

I choose to choose.

73, Jay - NO5J
(Edited)
Photo of Anthony Bowyer

Anthony Bowyer

• 33 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I've had this working fine with a PCIE par port card on win 8-win10 64-bit. It sounds like an addressing issue of some sort. It has been a while since I set it up, so I will look at the settings again. Seems there was one other setting that wasn't so apparent, but I'd rather check it before saying.

I would think the PCI card would even be less of an issue.

Generally the drivers for true serial and par port devices are faily generic. It's when you have some level of virualization and special drivers that problems arise (like USB to whatever and some PCIE devices).
Photo of Anthony Bowyer

Anthony Bowyer

• 33 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't look at mine, but I have installed ddutil and looking at it.

On the setup form, Ports Tab, Parallel Port should have Enabled checked, then Other and the port address in the text field to the right (of Other), then the pink box clicked to save the address.

Then, on the LPT tab, Aux BCD Control area, Enable should be checked, Follow Freq should be checked. Maybe Allow Macro, if you will be controlling the amp that way.

The lower 4 bits should now follow freq, based on the Band Data File settings.

If ths is not the case, you might want to power down the PC, remove the card, power on and look at hidden devices in device manager. Remove anything that's  gray in the 'Ports' section.

This loc has a qucik-and-dirty way to show these hidden devices:
http://jaminquimby.com/servers/79-windows-server/475-how-to-show-ghosthidden-devices-in-device-manag...

Power back down, reinstall the card and verify the address it has. I'd go so far as changing it again in DDUTIL even if it's the same as before.

You can also turn the other 4 bits on or off manually if you check BCD in the Aux Display area on the features tab. Might be a way to test if the ports are working at all.

I assume the card is known to be good?
Photo of Joe WD5Y

Joe WD5Y

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
The card was working before I pulled it when using wavenode wn1. I can't remember if the .net 2.0 file was loaded when I first installed ddutil, I read somewhere that the .net file has to be loaded but I thought that would be ok since all else on ddutil was working. I am seeing pin 1 and pin 4 with 5 volts but they never toggle from a manual try in ddutil. I tried to find a parallel port test software but no luck. It sure seems like some sort of addressing issue.

Thanks and 73's
Joe
WD5Y
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 623 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Have you reviewed this page?

http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=How_To#Setup_Binary-Coded_Decimal_.28BCD.29_Devices

Make sure youi follow the link to getting your ports address. Setting the I/O address based on the cards setting doesn't always work on systems above Windows XP. Also make sure you have set the compatibility settings as  described in the link above for Windows 7. This WILL work,  have it running on my system(W10, 64bit)

Good Luck!

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Anthony Bowyer

Anthony Bowyer

• 33 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Humm, never had to set the compat mode on mine. This might be because some PC/card combo's require it and it's simpler just to make it across the board.

The Card setting tho I did, which is basically what I meant in a previous posting about getting the resources in Dev Manager and using the first one.

Hope you get it working!! 

Photo of Joe WD5Y

Joe WD5Y

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Thanks for the help, I did use the procedure mentioned about the port address. I tried different compatibility settings also. I found a driver online listed for windows 10, will try that as well, the driver loaded was one that the operating system loaded. According to the device manager the driver is working but might be false information.

Thanks and 73's

Joe

WD5Y