Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DDUtil Best Way to link CWSkimmer, DXLab WinWarbler, and 6600 running SSDR for WIN v 2?

Lawrence Libsch
Lawrence Libsch Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
New to Flex. New 6600. I've found instructions for using DDUtil to allow FSDR, CWSkimmer and DXLab to interoperate. Is there a better solution? Does anyone have experience they'll share? I'm familiar with with Skimmer and DXLab, and starting to find my way around on the 6600.
K4KGG, Larry

Answers

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The two programs that connect CWskimmer to Flex are SDRbridge and Slicemaster.  The latter is more powerful but currently in BETA testing.

Just as a FYI the CWskimmer to Flex setup is super powerful and when it works it is amazing. When it doesn't you want to pull your hair out.

Rich
  • Lawrence Libsch
    edited April 2020
    Rich,
        Thanks for your advice. Will look at Slicemaster. The SDR-Bridge instructions I have for interfacing Skimmer and Flex  don't discuss interoperation with DXLab. Is it possible? Can Slicemaster link Skimmer and DXLab for Flex? What about DDUtil?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have no experience with DXlab but I am pretty sure you can connect CWskimmer to DXlab via Telnet work like many other programs.

I have DDUtil on my machine but really don't use often and never for functionality like that. I am sure others will chime in.

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    DXLab's Commander will link directly to your radio like this:

I think that is about all you need to do to interface the various DXLabs programs to the radio.  Capture of SSB logs is done via the Capture window, or perhaps other ways depending on the programs you may be using.  FT8 captures are done via JTAlertX, as you probably know.

Note that the connection that Commander makes is a direct connection (through the radio API, I assume) and not via a CAT COM or IP port.  Tip of the hat to the DXLabs folks for doing this the right way!

Dave / NX6D

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have to amend the above.  It looks like CAT command are being used to operate the radio in some cases.  However it works, it works well.
  • Lawrence Libsch
    edited June 2020
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to detail the setup for linking DXLab with FSDR. I have this already setup for WinWarbler and RTTY. Not only is DXLabs great, it's documentation is great as well.
       I'm looking for a way to have FSDR, DXLab and CW Skimmer share control and frequency information so the a change in one results in a change in all. I have this with the K3 using LP Bridge, and hoped for a similar tool to use with the Flex for linking FSDR, DXLab and CW Skimmer.
    Larry

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    I use SmartSDR, Skimmer, SDR Bridge, N1MM+, WSJT-X and DDUtil all talking to each other. Works fine.

I needed to add a TCP CAT port in SmartSDR CAT to support WSJT-X and CAT COM ports to support N1MM+.

Since each software is talking to the radio, when one changes the radio frequency or mode, the other programs receive the info from the radio and update.

You do not need a program like LP Bridge. The radio and SmartSDR CAT handle the bridging functionality automatically.

Just set up each program individually and you should be fine. If the program requires either a serial or TCP CAT port just make sure the ports are not used by multiple programs.

Dave wo2x
  • Lawrence Libsch
    edited June 2020
    Dave,

Thanks for your reply.  What you describe is what I want to do. You say the radio and SSDR CAT handle the bridging. Please pardon my confusion, but doesn't SDR Bridge provide the bridge for CW Skimmer? And if SSDR CAT and the radio provide the bridging, why do you need DDUtil?
       Larry, K4KGG

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    DDUtil provides running HRD Logbook without need for HRD main program(which I use for non-contesting), Interface to Array Solutions Power Master II wattmeter, Genovation keypad for CAT macros assigned to buttons, AutoDrive which sets power per band avoiding overdriving amp, etc.

Yes, SDR Bridge or SliceMaster is needed between CW Skimmer and the radio. The point is the Flex (radio and SmartSDR CAT) are where everything intersects and allows everything to share control. In the K3 world this happens in LP Bridge.

Think of the Flex radio and SDR CAT as being LP Bridge.

Dave

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Larry,

Take the pieces one at a time. Then run them both.  The configurations dont interact but the programs will.  In other words, if DX Labs works with the Flex and if CW Skimmer works with the Flex, DX Labs and CW Skimmer will work together.

Getting the flex to work with DX Labs is pretty straight forward.  The screen shot Dave posted above shows all you need.  Focus on getting that working.

There are a couple of options for getting CW Skimmer to work with the Flex.  I'm a bit biased, but Slice Master 6000 is  probably the easiest option.  It does most of the configuration for you.  Just install CW Skimmer and run it once so it can finish it's installation.  Then run Slice Master and switch slice A to CW mode and select a DAX IQ channel on the panafall.  CW Skimmer will appear on your screen.  If it doesnt, check the Slice Master status line.  There will be a message telling you why not.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    I will give SliceMaster a try and see how it goes. Dave wo2x
  • Lawrence Libsch
    edited April 2020
      You guys are amazing. I think it will take me some time to pull it all together, but I've got a much better idea how to get there.
       Larry, K4KGG

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Larry. Start by installing and configuring DX Labs. Then the next program, etc. If a program needs a TCP or serial CAT port just create a new one so it is dedicated to that app. It will go quicker than you think. If you get stuck let us know. Dave wo2x
  • Tommy Teague
    Tommy Teague Member
    edited February 2018
    Don't know if this will help anyone but these are the settings I have right now so far so good.  I'm using SDR-Bridge with CW Skimmer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.