Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DDUTIL and Flex control auxilary switches.

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
When using flex control knob via DDUTIL do you lose the option to use the three top auxiliary switches?  I have nothing in the dropdown menus for options to assign anything. The MODE A/B options seem fine but don't have auxiliary anymore.

And I assume that you disable flex control in SmartSDR to allow the DDUTIL to run ?

Answers

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Rich,

To allow DDUtil to use the FlexControl, pull up the Setup menu when running SmartSDR and click on the FlexControl button until is says disabled.

The three AUX buttons are available in DDUtil.  Click on the DDUtil Setup menu item and then select the TKnob tab. You will see the following...

The panel at the bottom lets you select three functions for each of the AUX 1-3 buttons - one each for a short click, double click or long click.

Stu K6TU
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Stu, thank you. I am to that point but when I click any drop down under Aux Switches they are blank. No options

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Ah so.....!

Ok - here's what to do... as you have the selection above, close the Setup tab, then exit DDUtil and restart it... then you will find the options for the AUX functions are populated and you can select them...

I'll drop a note to Steve K5FR about this behavior.
    Stu K6TU

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Sure enough ! That worked.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    BINGO!

Too bad the Powerball lottery was already claimed ;-)
    Excellent and enjoy!  

Drop me a note if you need additional help - there are a lot of options when you use DDUtil to control the FlexControl including using the Macro capabilities built into DDUtil.

Stu K6TU
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    haha.  OK will do.

In my case I think the only uses for me are a MUCH improved HRD and Flex Control.  I have an AT-AUTO, PowerMaster and LP100-a but not sure I have a use for using them through the DDUTIL.  Macros might come in handy though.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Bummer, apparently no  AGC-T !
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    No bummer...  its available on the knob drop down lists as AGC Gain.

Stu K6TU
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Can you guys share some of the macro ideas with the flex control and ddutil? I recently used it to activate the cw setup boxed messages to work navassa while focused on cwskimmer. It worked great. But that is not a macro... What are some examples?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Yea I see that. Just wish it was on the auxiliaries. Thanks for all your help Stu.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Macro ideas would be great. Also, I don't think the watt-meter functions work. I have the LP-100a and Powermaster connected. Neither show SWR or output.

This program has a lot of potential but looks like it has a long way to go. Wish I was a programmer !

EDIT: I think Swap TX VFO needs to be added to the list of things that do not work on the 6000 series.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    PMFJI, but I am considering using the FlexControl with DDUtil too. I still get crazy cannot-stop frequency tuning if I use the 'control through SSDR and tune too fast. COM set to 50, buffers disabled. Is the 'control better behaved with DDUtil than SSDR?

TIA.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    PMFJI, but I am considering using the FlexControl with DDUtil too. I still get crazy cannot-stop frequency tuning if I use the 'control through SSDR and tune too fast. COM set to 50, buffers disabled. Is the 'control better behaved with DDUtil than SSDR?

TIA.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Salvador,
    Here are the macros I use on my DDUtil controlled knob (numbers 30, 31, & 32)

- (30 & 32) set slices to match freq --   If you have 2 slices and one is off screen this is a quick way to bring them together. 

- (31)  set my default CW speed back to 20WPM -- If I speed up or slow down for a QSO, I found this to be a quick way to get back to my default speed. 

The knob itself is set to tune slice A or slice B and switch from one to the other with a depression

I use 2 FlexControl knobs and on the one controlled by SmartSDR, I have the switches set for 
    RIT
    XIT
    AFSlice ( active slice volume control)

I usually leave this knob set to the "active slice volume control" setting.  Adjusting the volume is one feature I like to control with a knob.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Steve,  regarding your comment "  its available on the knob drop down lists as AGC Gain."

Apparently that does not function on the 6000 series nor does  any audio gain functions. So you cant adjust slice or speaker audio levels.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Steve,
    Same here....I have 2 FlexControls and use the one controlled by SmartSDR to toggle the knob between Active Slice Volume and AGC-T gain.  It work fine there but neither work in DDUtil.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Great info. Thanks!

I also see myself using the knob to tune when I zoom out to 7mhz on the 6300 as the mouse becomes less effective. Or to move the RX on the Second receive when I am hunting for the last QSO when a DX is working a spread Split.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Audio Gain is functioning for me hit or miss if I program it. But not sure what its changing as the sliders on SSDR for slice, speaker or headphone audio do not change.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Never realized DDutil had a Flex control knob thanks for posting this. Can I use those buttons to control profiles by chance? Ian
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    For me the FlexControl is just not going to work as it sits.  The funtions I want to use are just to inconsistent.  As an example band up and Band down would be nice but in my case it has a mind of its own and you never know which slice its going to choice. You can be doing a band up >>> on slice A and next thing you know its changing slice B.

So for now its just going to be the IP server for me so I can use HRD apps. It does a great job with that :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.