Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DDuTil 3.0 and Auto Drive?

Ian1
Ian1 Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
DDutil 3.0 has auto drive to adjust Flex signature output power automatically. When Running Amplifier Expert 1ka does Auto Drive work as advertised? Ian

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I can't answer for the Expert but it works perfectly with an Alpha 9500 and Acom 2000A Dave, wo2x
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    With my 2k-fa I have no problems in general, however in case changing the mode manually( without frequency change) some time Power Drive level switch not always, this is DDUtil issue that necessary to notify .
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    DDutil works great.  Power management. It works great  integrating HRD .It works great repeating com info . 

My OM power  loves it . Follows like a short leashed dog !!

Thank You    WO2X for turning me onto it . 

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Now that I am home for 1 day I am trying out DDutil auto drive.

My question is on the Flex 6000 series what do you set the initial power bar on the SDR software?
    I initally had it at 20 watts on 20 meters and left it in Auto Drive no changes occurred.
    40 meters might have lowered it to 10 watts.
    Guess I am nervous of trusting it with the Transmitter set at 100 watts.

I also read this info below but if anyone can confirm it will limit the power please.

Ian

Given the fact that the Flex radios don't have any form of ALC (Automatic Level Control), which incidentally isn't all bad [1] according to many, then some other method is required to compensate for over-driving the amplifier. Also given the fact that the Flex radios are very accurate on the amount of power they produce with respect to the setting of the drive control why not just solve the problem with controlling the amount of drive going to the amplifier. Obviously using this method requires some form of software control to accomplish.

The DDUtil solution for this is to save the drive setting for each band and then reload them as needed when the bands change. To demonstrate, say it takes 44 watts of drive to produce 1000 watts of power from the amplifier on 20 meters and 50 watts of drive to produce the same output on 15 meters. DDUtil will set the correct level automatically for each band so the amplifier is neither over or under driven.

To go one step further DDUtil ties this function to the Operate/StandBy button (ctrl+O) on the Other tab so when the amplifier is online the power setting is the correct amount for the amplifier (on that band) and when the amplifier is offline (barefoot) another set of values is used that has been predefined by the user. This gives the best of both worlds without having to manually set the drive level. The user can switch back and forth between the amplifier and barefoot operation and have the optimum power available for either situation.

This method has been tested extensively and has been found to be very reliable if the following setup procedures are followed.

Currently, only the HF bands 160 - 6 are setup for the Auto Drive feature since the VHF+ Transverter form in PowerSDR has a similar feature already.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

With Auto Drive enabled go to the band you want to set. Then adjust power on SmartSDR to desired level and on the main screen of DDUtil click the pink SET button located next to the OPER/STBY button. That sets auto drive power per band. If setting max power with an amp make sure the OPER/STBY button is in OPER.

In the Auto Drive menu (DDUtil/Settings/AutoDrive) you can click on Expert. Then you can set  a power reduction or increase (in percentage for different modes.

Let's say you want 30 watts drive on 20 SSB. Go to 20 SSB and make sure DDUTil is in OPER. Adjust SSDR power to 30 watts and click set in DDUtil main window. Now let's say you want the DIGI modes to be 30% less power. You would click expert in AutoDrive menu then enter -30.

The key is to click the SET button to set the level for AutoDrive for each band.

Dave, wo2x

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Dave it does work different then I was thinking then.

Ian
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Played with the setup last night and it's very impressive.

Does anyone care to share how hard they drive the Expert 1KA so far I have only drove mine to 22 watts from the Flex 6500.

Ian
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I don't have a 1k but I have a 2k My 2k is so well designed that if I drive it too hard it will automatically reduce power to mid range So play around with ur 1k and drive it up,to the point before the protection kicks in

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.