Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX traffic playing through All PC's on my LAN with SmartSDR loaded

Options
Jay -- N0FB
Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
This may be by design that DAX works this way.  Here is what I am experiencing.

I have SmartSDR (plus DAX & S-CAT) installed on my 27" iMac (Win-7 running on Parallels 9) running physically next to my 6300.  I have two other laptops in the home, both have SmartSDR, DAX and S-CAT installed so that I can do digital work elsewhere in the house.  Time to time, I'll enable the monitor ("Listen to this Device" check box) function on the "DAX Audio RX1" so that I can hear the PSK tones or even other mode sounds remotely.   All working fine.

Here is what I have observed and found interesting.  When SmartSDR is not running on either of the laptops (DAX still is running in the back ground.)  Should I start up SmartSDR on my iMac down in the Shack, the receive audio plays through the other two laptops even though the SmartSDR client is not running on either of these computers (because I have left the "Listen to this device" enabled.)  If I shut down all instances of PowerSDR but DAX still running on all PC's, the audio stream cease.   

My assumption is that this is the nature of a audio panel codec designed to receive audio via UDP packets.  Is this functionality normal and by design?  

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2019
    Options
    This is by design.  DAX is a separate radio "client.  When you start up SSDR and open a slice that is DAX enabled, the radio will stream the audio from that slice to all connected DAX clients regardless of the PCs it is running on.  This is a feature of the client/server architecture of the FLEX-6000.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Tim for the quick reply.  Hope you guys have fun at the Ham Fest this weekend!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.