Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX no longer associates with a slice.

ai6re
ai6re Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
DAX will not connect with a Slice. I can select a DAX channel (1) in the slice and then go to the DAX Control panel and select channel 1 but the Slice still shows a blank -. The slice letter does not appear and no audio is seen or available in the audio display.

Comments

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Mine does not show the bar graph on DAX1, but the audio is actually there as evidenced by the programs that I attached to it.
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Mine has always shown the audio level in the DAX display. The programs attached no longer receive any audio. I have completely shutdown everything and powered of the Flex 6.5k and the power to it. Restart everything and still no audio on DAX. I will uninstall the SmartSDR software and reinstall to see if that makes things start working again.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    when mine does that i just turn on DAX channel 2 in the DAX Control Panel and select that in the slice... then I can go back and select DAX 1 on the slice and in the DAX Control Panel view and all is working again on DAX1. Dont know why but it works for me every time.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I would reset the radio by holding the ok button while turning on the radio before I would uninstall SmartSDR.
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Larry, good suggestion but it did not have any effect. None of the DAX channels can be assigned to a Slice. Completely removed SSDR .24 and reinstall. Now have assigned channel 2 to Slice A and showing good received audio but the application does not receive the audio. In the attached picture the DAX Ch 2 shows audio but Audacity Listening to that input sees no audio.
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I don't consider this problem solved just circumvented and overcome. It still indicates a failure in the DAX system that can be recovered from by starting over with the installation of the software and a hard rest of the Flex 6K radio. This should be considered an issue with the current level of the software.
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I agree with AI6RE, problem is still there but K1UO's workaround works for me; I had dax2 go dead. I used to use it for jt65 xmit; but switched to 3..  finally got around to hunting for a fix and found this workaround.. when in doubt click and switch channels til it works.. 
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016

I do believe this is the same problem I am having! I have a problem with latest version. The prior version works great
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    Gary Robertson - KY5R Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have experienced exactly the same situation where no Slice is indicated in the DAX Control Panel. My solution is to exit out of the Control Panel by going to Task Bar and hovering my mouse cursor over the DAX Control Panel Icon and then clicking on "exit". Just closing the DAX Control Panel will not exit you out of the application. You have to make its Icon disappear from the Task Bar at the bottom by using the exit command.

I then find DAX.exe (c:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.1.0DAXDAX.exe) and re-start DAX. The DAX Icon once again appears in the Task Bar and I can then show a completely new DAX Control Panel. This new DAX Control Panel will properly indicate the slice information. I do this so frequently that I have placed a shortcut to DAX.exe on my desktop to speed up things. 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I found this can also happen if you accidentally create more than one instance of DAX.  One instance of DAX will connect to the panadapter and the other one(s) will not be connected.  You might be looking at an instance of the DAX control panel that is not connected.  See this link for some more info and snapshots

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/multiple_copies_of_dax_should_this_be_allowed

If you see more than one instance of DAX in the Windows task manger, here is how to fix it.  Stop all of the instances either by using the DAX exit command or by using  the Windows task manager.  Then restart a single copy of DAX.    If you reboot the PC you get the same result, it is just more time consuming. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

I have found when DAX stops working, I exit the present DAX and go to it's C-drive location and double click on the DAX icon and everything starts working again. I made a control panel icon with the DAX and just exit the present DAX and click on the ICON. Works every time.
  • Norm S
    Norm S Member
    edited March 2014
    I've actually created a DAX icon on my desktop because I loose the DAX connections so often I've gotten tired of going down through the index to find the application.  I Exit the existing DAX, I make sure there isn't a 2nd instance running, then double click the DAX icon on my desktop to get a new one running.  Most of the time this takes care of it.  Sometimes it is so **** up I have to restart the 6700.   There are lots of issues with DAX, but I'm still confident they will get addressed and the product as well as all of the associated software will only get better.  I'm hoping anyway.
  • Norm S
    Norm S Member
    edited March 2014
    I have also had the TX and RX within Channel 1 get **** up.  No RX or no TX but the opposite one works. 

I am using DAX for two main purposes.   One, I use it for digital modes (channels 2-8) but channel 1 is dedicated to a Jabra wireless headset.   Channel 1 has been sort of frustrating but I'm trying my best to be patient and hope that eventually it will be resolved and we will have the best possible rig that can be purchased.   I love the rig, but just slightly frustrated with the software.  I knew the software was in progress when I purchased it so that helps me deal with it mentally.  

Besides resloveing some of these bugs, I really wish the EQ worked with the DAX inputs.  As it is, I can not make settings to the TX EQ for my Jabra wireless headset.  I love the headset and refuse to go back to a conventional microphone though. 
  • Norm S
    Norm S Member
    edited March 2014
    I'll 2nd the probelm happening if you accidently create a 2nd instance of DAX.

Since I use channel 1 for my wireless headset, I've run into the problem where VOX just refuses to work under DAX. Once in a while, I can briefly key the 6700 using MOX and then the VOX under DAX channel 1 starts working fine.  Usually I have to exit DAX, make sure there are no instances running and restart it.  Sometimes it gets so **** up I have to restart the 6700.  This always takes care of it, but what a hassle......   Lucky that it doesn't happen very often.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We have made several changes to DAX that should address these stability issues.  The fixes will be in the next release of SmartSDR.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

My solution to this problem was to go directly to the DAX location and make an icon on the desktop. When the DAX fails, exit it and then double click on the icon to restart the DAX. After that, it appears to work correctly. It appears in many instances that when DAX starts, it doesn't start properly or stops working midstream. I have found when I manually start it with the icon, I never have any problems. Sooooo, to resolve the issue, when ever I bring up the 6500, I automatically exit the DAX and restart it.  

Jim, K6QE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.