Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

dax messed up after upgrade to 2.3.7

Charlie_KB8CR
Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
After upgrading to 2.3.7 on my MacBook Pro with Windows 10 Pro under Bootcamp, DAX is all messed up. I get a warning when opening SSDR that a DAX file is disabled or another program has exclusive use of it. This is what my Device Manager shows for Audio drivers, and also what the Sound devices shows. 
imageimage

I have uninstalled SSDR twice (telling it to delete DAX files) and then reinstalled twice. Same result.

Any suggestions?  It upgraded fine on my desktop.

Answers

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Here is the warning it gives when opening SSDR. 

I can operate the radio, but it warns this each time. When I look at the DAX Control panel, under IQ Streams, stream 1 shows "Driver Error" and the button is red.

• Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I'm sure you'll get lots of answers to this from people far more qualified than myself. But, I've been where you are. The solution I was taught was to 'manually' remove and reinstall the DAX files.

If you know your way around Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer shudder), navigate your way to the location of the exe file that launches Smart SDR. In my case it is C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.3.764-bit Drivers  NOTE the version number will differ as I haven't upgraded yet but, the solution remains the same just go into the one that matches your current version of Smart SDR. Working on each folder one at a time open EACH of the four ****_DAX folders and right click on the ****_uninstall.bat file using Run as Administrator. Then do the same thing with the ***_install.bat file once again doing so under the Administrator disguise. Repeat this process within each of the four folders IQ_DAX MICAudio_DAX RXAudio_DAX and TXAudio_DAX.  

This will manually uninstall and reinstall the updated DAX files properly.  Doing your basic uninstall, even with RevoUninstaller doesn't get these files, you have to do them manually for some reason. All I know is, it works.  If it doesn't work, let me know. There really isn't anything to **** up here. Worse case, you do another full install after downloading the updated version of Smart SDR once again.

Rick - K5RHA
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    That is correct look on the community for Tim’s instructions and works great one try. I will post link to it when I get stopped.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Use this link to get to instructions https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-...
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks !! Back to DOS, huh? ha ha. (Running all these .bat files from cmd)....I'll give it a try when I get back home.

Charlie KB8CR
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I've done upgrades with and without removing previous versions. Some with success, and some not. Quite often the Sound devices are misnamed afterward because of remnants left in the registry that are not removed even after a proper uninstall. Specifically...
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionMMDevicesAudioCapture

The only way I've been able to keep that part of the registry clean is to rollback to a system restore point prior to SmartSDR ever having been installed, and then install the newest version.

Why ask if you want to keep the DAX drivers if you're going to remove the executable and shortcuts if you keep them anyway?
    Why uninstall DAX at all if it is the same in the next version of SmartSDR?
    Why leave remnants in the Capture devices part of the registry?

Please consider this a feature request to make DAX a separate program, installed in a different path.
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Well, I tried going in through the elevated cmd prompt, (uninstalled & re-installed with the .bat files) but......Same warning. :-(

I looked at going back to a restore point, but apparently system restore wasn't running, so there are none. Looks like either live with the warning pop-up, or reinstall windows.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I reinstalled windows to get a clean restore point. Not a pretty option.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Reach out to me offline and I will help you. My email is good onQRZ
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks, I'll take ya up on that offer.....but what is your call ?

Charlie KB8CR
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sorry I guess its not in my header NN9DD
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks very much, Mike !! All is working perfect again, now with 2.3.9 on both computers. image

Charlie
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    One VERY important step I failed to mention above is to REBOOT your system after uninstalling and reinstalling the DAX drivers.  I had your problem and went through my solution (above) and it didn't work. I was quite annoyed, then I remembered that it is necessary to reboot once you've done the proper steps and THEN it does work, or it did for me.  There is a thread elsewhere (Tim Ellison) that goes into detail on how to do what I've said above and does so in a DOS environment where I use Windows Explorer. The link to it is in a post below mine here. (https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers)
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It took going into the registry and deleting all traces of it, THEN re-installing (I actually went ahead and installed 2.3.9) and then rebooting. Luckily, I had the help of Mike.....I don't like messing with the registry (I'm afraid of what I might mess up).
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    We're pretty much back to the same problem.  My DAX is pretty much messed up the same as addressed in the this post:

Most notable is lack of a DAX Audio RX1 (FlexRadio Systems DAX IQ)

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/most-common-fix-for-dax-driver-errors-in-windows-sp...

I did a complete uninstall, reinstalled the previous version etc.  Tried a manual reinstall per the other post.  All it did was reinstall the scrambled drivers.  Is the a file available to reinstall/unscramble the drivers?

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    There is a link here ( I cant find it now) where you need to go into the command prompt and enter commands to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. This has worked for me when I had the issue

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.