Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX grabs PC audio

2»

Comments

• Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Week 21 is somewhere around the end of May.  It seems strange that if they were out of radios until July and then August that Guy would have gotten a May radio.  With a high serial number like that, I can't imagine that they sold that many by May, so it would have be ALL radios as you suggest, or the serial numbers are non-sequential. If Guy got an early number it is hard to tell how many they have sold by now.

I just like to give people enough time to get the bugs worked out.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Alan. This is a SOFTWARE defined radio. To the best of my knowledge there have beed no reported hardware bugs that necessitated a trip back to the factory for hardware revisions. So the unit serial number is irrelevant. On The Other Hand. It's software. We are currently on revision 1.3. With Version 1.4 due in November. Software will always be in a state of revision with bug fixes and new features in each release for the entire time you own the radio. In fact, you will always want them to continue to add new features and capabilities. It's like Christmas as you are getting a new radio every 90 days.
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Your comments are appreciated, Howard, and I am very much aware of the significance of software updates for Flex radios.  But it has been my experience with cars and with radios that often small changes are made after the initial design, either because weaknesses become known or because better components become available.  In most cases there is not a recall and the original owners may never be aware of the changes.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Alan

I guess I suffer from Early Adopter Syndrome

I love to buy Serial No 1 of every new device. For example I bought Serial #1 of the Alpha 374, the Sgnal One and the SteppIR MonstIR to name a few of the ham items.

Debugging is FUN. Especially since I can usually have an influence over subsequent designs and the manufacturers seem to value my opinions.

I have never regretted owning the first of anything. Further with SDR's. Since the software so dominates everything I really don't see the value of a later serial,no.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You are correct, the serial number is irrelevant.  It won't tell you anything useful.  It won't even tell you when it left the factory.  

All FLEX-6300s are identical no matter when they were built.  This includes the original prototype, which worked right the first time.  It even passed CE the first time.

Guy should take a look at his power supply to make sure it can handle the current rating of the radio.  He mentioned 13A in an earlier post, which would be way too low.  I would recommend a 25A supply.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Harold, I knew that you engineer types never met a problem you didn't like to tackle.  But buying them on purpose as a hobby just to debug them?  Man, you must really love your work!  hi hi! 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Ken There is an incredible almost indescribable thrill to being the first to do something that no one has ever done before. I love to quote Christopher Columbus when King Ferdinand of Spain questioned him about his reward for finding a way across the Atlantic. "Yes Your Magesty, it's obvious that there was a path to the riches of the east by sailing west.....BUT I SHOWED YOU HOW".
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Gerald, the PSU is 25A, a Alinco DM-330MW in fact. I was talking about my mains supply, which is 13A @ 240V.

I also like debugging and sorting problems, but NOT when I have only one thing  that is not up and running yet - too frustrating and too much pressure. That is why I have 6 computers. They all multi-boot and have at least 2 Windows installs and several Linux distros on each. I also have a very good backup routine so even if my main PC gets FUBARed, I still have access to my latest data and downloads. I also have an extensive collection of spares to cover most eventualities. Can you guess what my main hobby ("obsession" according to the XYL) was before the ham radio bug bit again?

I get a similar thrill to Howard several times a day in my day job. Never a boring moment, every case is different.

Cheers

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Flex get prepared... Guy is going to buy 5 more 6300's..Don't worry about his XYL saying no, Looks like he has the "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask permission" down pat....Couldn't resist Guy....Enjoy the 6300....

John

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.