Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX grabs PC audio

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Having *major* probs with SmartSDR, but have opened a helpdesk ticket so won't bore you with those.

I noticed that DAX 'steals' my PC speaker's output. If I set the output to my speakers (in the panel that shows all the DAX ports) the change does not stick. I found myself disbling DAX port one after another as the next one along picked up my sound card's output. As I cannot use my 6300 at all at the moment, I uninstalled SmartSDR/DAX drivers and now have my speakers back. When I next install, how can I prevent the issue?

Win 7 x64, was using SmartSDR 1.3.0.

Tnx

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Comments

• Phill Beistel
    Phill Beistel Member
    edited December 2016

Hi, I had the same issue. However, if you right click on the little speaker icon on the task bar and select playback devices, you can select speakers and change it to default to get your speakers back.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for that. I could not find it earlier. Had major issues with the software so had a very disappointing experience with the FR last night. Seems there may be an issue with RF in the shack. I am afraid that if I cannot fix the issue I may be left with an expensive paperweight. Considering options as they say.

Cheers

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    RF in. Shack is usually caused by a poor antenna, poor grounding and an inadequate matching system which generate lots of common mode currents. Easy and inexpensive to fix You just need to install lots of toroids on all the suspect lines. One quick trick I use is to buy a huge 2" toroid. Snap it on a line and see if it helps. The I put smaller less expensive toroids on the offending line. There are a lot of online tutorials and Youtube's on how to correct your systems.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Be sure to use Type 31 ferrite cores for HF applications.  Junk box/swap fest cores may not do any good at all because they may be designed for VHF or higher suppression.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks guys. The antenna is an end-fed that has a RG-213 coax feed (balun at feed point) - the feed point is 8 yards away . Grounding is a 4 foot copper plated rod approx 10 yards from the rig and the ATU is a Palstar AT-500.

I really have terrible luck with this type of thing and if I had a working setup already I would be able to take this thing in my stride. Off to do some reading up on the fixes.

Thanks

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Your feed point is closer than ur ground. So your ground line is likely a source of common mode currents too.

I second Gerald's comment on type 31. But I would add the comment "you can never put on too many toroids So when in doubt add more. " Here is a good link to learn too much about fixing RFI http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have found a source of toroids, what do you think? http://www.rapidonline.com/electronic-components/snap-on-ferrite-cores-68048

http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/26-2602.pdf

Thanks for the link, PDF saved.

Cheers

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    It looks like those are type 43 for VHF You want type 31 materials that suppress down to 1MHz http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/materials31.htm
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    In the 'key features' list it does say "31 ferrite grade". I have contacted the retailer for clarification.

Mni tnx. Much appreciated.

Guy
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Here’s a link to PowerPoint “How to Build a Quiet Station V2.pptx” in my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2yturid60npgdm/How to Build a Quiet Station V2.pptx Here’s a link to PDF “How to Build a Quiet Station V2.PDF” in my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kffp92esffo3zy5/How to Build a Quiet Station V2.pdf
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    BTW. Currently drinking a lot of good wine and working DX. Remotely in South of France but we will in UK Sept 30- Oct 3rd if you are stuck and need help.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
          To help determine if it is in fact RFI (very likely), try lowering the power level to see
    if the problem diminishes.  Also see if it happens on all bands. You may be able to work
    out on some bands while you wait to get ferrites.

Ned,  K1NJ

• W1AEX
    W1AEX Member
    edited September 2014
    I have found a field strength meter to be an invaluable tool for finding the ingress paths where RF in the station occurs. Enable the transmitter and hold the field strength meter probe up against station coax cables, rotor cables and whatever else is installed to come into the station and you will find every hot common mode path. With my Flex 5000 and pair of 3-500's I had an issue with my station's new Samsung "touch sensor" PC monitor shutting off when I transmitted on 160 meters with high power. That's more than inconvenient when you're running an SDR! The field strength meter indicated tons of RF following the rotor cable right over to the rotor control box sitting right underneath the power button on the new monitor. One type 31 ferrite at the window threshold resolved that issue in less than a minute. You'll get it under control once you identify the path of ingress.

Rob W1AEX
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for that. I have managed to find a couple of sources of type 31 clip on ferrite cores here in the UK, made in the USA IIRC. They are reasonably cheap so I will buy loads and clip everything in sight. I will also check out the meter you mentioned.

From my brief time with the 6300, I also have a very noisy environment and KY6LA's files (above) will be invaluable.

73s de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • GM4WCE
    GM4WCE Member
    edited September 2014
    I also use an end fed wire antenna and have had issues in the past with getting the RF outside rather than in the shack.  My wire is around 40m long and I have a CG3000 auto ATU at the feedpoint which is in the garden shed.  I  buried alot of wire under the lawn to act as an earth, with this earth being connected to the auto ATU in the shed.  As I am using the ATU at the end of the wire there is no mismatch on the coax into the shack so there is no radiation from it, and it does not pick up all the noise from the computers, tv etc.  in the house.
    This antenna works really well on most bands, particularly 40 and 30m, but I still have noise troubles on 160.  Good luck with curing the RF problem, I have had real troubles in the past with this.  I suppose it is the downside of end fed wires, but my XYL is not keen on highly visible antennas so the end fed fits the bill.

73 de Peter GM4WCE

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Peter,

I got a commercial end-fed (EZWire) with a balun. It is fed with coax and I have an earth rod in the garden. Once up and running, I hope run a couple of long wide counterpoises parallel to the end-fed but not underneath it. I would also like to experiment with antennas - but I have to get operational first. On a lighter note...this is typical of my luck. Not that this is the case here at all, but whenever I buy something, I am a magnet for faulty goods - so much so that I could set myself up in business by being in front of somebody and buy the same thing that they want so they would get a 'known good one' hi, hi.

Tnx vy much for the advice.

Cheers Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    EXCELLENT presentation on quieting the modern shack. I raise my glass in your direction, sir!
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Glad you finally got your 6300, Guy.  I am sure you will get the problems ironed out.  I am curious what your serial number is.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Alan,

The serial number is 2114-420A-6300-6509. In a few mins I will be ordering a load of type 31 clip-on ferrite cores and I will be clipping them on nearly every single cable here. Luckily they are quite a reasonable price as I will need loads of them. Not enough plugs to overload the 13A supply in my computer room/shack, but enough to make me do a few calculations. This room is packed full of routers, scanners, computers etc.

The fuse in my PSU also blew a few mins after turning on the kit so the radio is going back to be checked that it is still okay and for a new PSU.

Regards

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Guy Some of those wall warts used to run routers, switches, etc are huge RFI sources. If you read my presentation you will see that I replaced virtually all my wall warts with a DC bus. Really did a lot to cut down noise and actually quite inexpensive.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Howard,

That is something that I will definitely look at once I get the RF in shack issue sorted. Placed a BIG order for type 31 ferrite cores. I will clip everything in sight and if that does not sort the issue, there will be not much more I could do. I will also connect my computer case to the shack earth too.

Cheers

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Make sure you use a SINGLE point ground with everything connected in a star configuration to the same single! point. Or your grounds also become antennas.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for that tip. I will make the necessary mods when I get my rig back from testing - the PSU fuse blew and I want to make sure it is okay.

Tnx

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    The serial number is interesting.  I would think that it would have begun with 2014 rather than 2114.  I suspect that and the 420A represents the date this revision, namely 2014, April 20.  Next comes the model number: 6300, and then the last four numbers "6509."  The tendency would be to think that this would be the 6509th 6300 produced, but I have a hard time believing they have sold that many.  Any ideas?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    My serial number is 2213-3088-6700-4835 My guess is that is radio #4835 they sold His is #6509 they sold I would have to dig my files to find the number for my old 5000. But I suspect we shud not read too much into serial numbers
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    My old 5000 was 2009-2370

So likely radio #2370 they sold. But again I wud not read too much into the serial numbers.
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    If they have sold 6509 of the 6300, they are doing exceptionally well. I guess I was wrong about the 2114.  Perhaps it is week # and year.  Although I would think that Guy would have gotten one that was made in August, or July. 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I suspect that 6509 represents the total of ALL radio models they have sold BUT I wud not read too much into the serial numbers as they can start and end anywhere with no logic whatsoever.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Looks like a task for the "Minimum-variance unbiased estimator"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_tank_problem#Minimum-variance_unbiased_estimator

Andrew

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The first 4 digits (2114) is week 21 in (20)14

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.