Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX error

N3WWL
N3WWL Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Unable to figure out what is causing the error shown in the picture.  This problem occured after upgrading from 1.4.3 to 1.4.11.  I have tried to revert back to 1.4.3 but still see the same DAX error.  I am totally lost. Thanks in advance for any assistance.  I have been fighting with this for days.  image

Answers

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017

Have you rebooted your PC since seeing this error?

If the problem persists after the reboot, I would:

1. Completely remove all Flex software.

2. Reboot.

3. Reinstall v1.4.11.

Don't forget to save your profiles.

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017
    Is DAX even running? Look for it in the system tray.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    the computer assigned one of the DAX channels to a Windows default sound device 
    when mine does this it is the "Default mic" set to DAX ch 8 in your Windows sound device manager "Record" settings.hope this helps. 
    I have to plug in a USB headset or Computer MIC and assign it as the default record device. 
    This is another WINBLOWS bug or feature.
    you don't have to uninstall anything to fix this.
    hope this helps
    Bret
    WX7Y

• N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes, DAX was running, but not streaming.  Yes, I've rebooted the PC....numerous times. Bret, you were exactly right.  I previously disabled, and had most of the DAX channels hidden.  I enabled the hidden channels and found  that somehow the default communication device was reassigned to DAX channel 8.  No clue how that happened. Thanks to all for the fast replies.  Jay, N3WWL
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The problem returned this morning after turning on PC.  Unable to find the cause and DAX is not functioning.  Opening the DAX window shows "driver error" .
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    In my case, it was that some of DAX device was assigned to "default" accidentally.  You may check "control panel -> sound -> audio devices" to see if any of DAX devices has Green icon.
    I hope it helps

• N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Checked there....no green icons. imageimage
    Can't understand what is causing the driver error.  Unable to operate any digital modes (EasyPal, MMSSTV, Fldigi).  The rest of the devices have been disabled under both playback and record.  When I view the disabled devices, none of them are green or defaulted either.  Thanks for the reply.  
  • Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018

Jay,

Maybe a Malware detection SW or firewall issue,  might not have let the DAX drivers fully install or be used..   Some of the third part firewalls are not allowing DAX drivers to run correctly,  may need to make an exception in the program..  

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had the same error after upgrading to 1.4.11.  Something in my DAX didn't install correctly.
    I got the same error dialog box, and the DAX control panel had a red checkbox on the RX button of one of the DAX Channels.  

When I checked, all of my DAX channels in Windows Control panel were missing.
    I uninstalled SSDR & DAX.  Rebooted the computer.  installed SSDR/DAX.  Did a "Hold the OK Button + Power Button restart persistence reset of the 6500.

Finally everything is fine.  I needed to disable DAX Lines 5-8 again, and reconfigure the properties (sampling rate, etc) on DAX Lines 1-4, but it all seems to work OK again.  (After having done this multiple times in previous releases, I have gotten the process down so that it only takes about 15-20 minutes.)

Here is the bad news....I exported all of my profiles before doing this...i thought...
    Apparently something messed up in the process and what got saved did not include all of my TX Profiles (about 10) that I spend a lot of time perfecting.  So I needed to reset them all manually.  But one benefit to having "grown up" during the pre-release and early 1.0 days is that I have gotten pretty fast at programming TX profiles!

Moral of the story... Save those Global Profiles frequently!  and to multiple locations!

Ken - NM9P

FYI:  I am running a Lenovo Ideacentre K410 with i3 processor and 6 GB RAM and Windows 10 Insider Preview.  The quirkiness of a pre-release OS may have something to do with it.  But at least I got it running.
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled 1.4.11 several times.  Initially, I can operate Fldigi and MMSSTV just fine, until I turn off my computer and turn it back on.  I had EasyPal working fine thanks to Ken's help a week or so ago. Now, in  EasyPal,  there isn't an RX and TX pair labeled the same.  I am using DAX RX1 and TX1 for Fldigi and MMSSTV.  Can't seem to figure out what's causing the error.  Is it possibly a bug in 1.4.11? Had no trouble with the last version 1.4.3   Thanks for all the replies and hope someone can come up with a solution.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Make sure your profiles have been saved!

Then Remember, to close DAX and CAT before you uninstall SSDR.  Then reboot the computer.
    Re-install SSDR and reboot again before running SSDR.
    Then do a persistence reboot.  (on the 6500/6700, press and hold the OK for 5 seconds while powering up the rig... on the 6300 I am not sure.  Check your operating guide.)

Then run SSDR for the first time.

Check your sound utility on Windows and see if your DAX lines are present.
    Disable the unused ones (5-8 on the 6500, 3-8 on the 6300) in both the record and playback section.
    Adjust sampling rate for each "end" of each DAX line  using the "properties/advanced" tab.

If that doesn't fix things, you might need to do it again and tell the uninstaller to also uninstall the DAX drivers and start over.

Hope this helps.  There may be better ways of doing this, but this worked for me.

Ken - NM9P
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ken.  I will try that sequence. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

What operating system? I saw this error when playing around with my Windows 10 64 bit box. Here's what I did to fix it in Windows 10. I manually installed DAX.

Browse to C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.4.1164-bit Drivers

Double click the IQ_DAX folder.  Double click SmartSDR_IQ_DAX_install.bat

Now go back to the 64-bit Drivers folder and double click the RXAudio_DAX folder. Double click SmartSDRRXAudio_DAX_install.bat

Go back to the 64-bit Drivers folder and double click the TXAudio_DAX folder. Double click the SmartSDR_TX_DAX_install.bat.

Once complete, reboot and test again.

Dave, wo2x

• N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi, Dave,  Using Windows 7 Professional 32 bit.  I am not sure if your explanation will work in Win 7 or not, nor do I know how to install DAX manually.  I will try the process that you stated when I get  home on Sunday.Thanks......

Jay, N3WWL
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Dave and Ken, I had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall 3 times. Manually installed DAX and set up  as instructed.  Now operating normally, I think ;)   I think this may be a bug in the current software as I did not have an issue with 1.4.3 until I upgraded and then reverted back to see if things were working properly. Thanks for the help...it is greatly appreciated.  Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the reported "reverb" or "echo"  in my audio, but that's a whole other problem.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    What are you using for mic/external eq gear? Does it have the echo at lower power? (Try without amp). Dave
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Using a Behringer Ultra Link Pro mixer and a Behringer Ultra Voice Processor. Audio fed through a balanced to unbalanced transformer at the mixer into the Flex 6300 rear accessory connector. I can remedy the reverb when the SmartSDR processor is turned off (I use it in "normal" mode). I can duplicate the condition regardless of power level....low power at less than 5 watts, 50 watts, or 100 watts from the exciter into the dummy load. The amp is an Ameritron AL82 that I typically excite with about 50 watts from the 6300. Unfortunately, when the SmartSDR processor is switched off, I am unable to get enough audio to drive the exciter. The +20dB gain in the radio setup menu is not in use as it causes distortion / clipping even though I've tried various input and output gain levels from both the mixer and the processors mic preamp but can't find a proper setting that gives enough audio drive without introducing clipping. No trouble with my Flex 3000 using the identical setup. By the way, if it matters, the level meter in SmartSDR reads around -10dB.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.