Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX error: Here we go again

Filip - ON7FD
Filip - ON7FD Member ✭✭
Flex it is time that you solve this persistent and recurring problem. Windows does its regular updates and you chose to work with Windows .. give your users an adequate solution so that we do not have problems with YOUR product at just about every Microsoft update. This has been dragging on long enough.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Not a Flex problem, Flex does not write for Microsoft. It is about time people put preasure were it belongs, on Microsoft as they have not been able to fix their updateing problems.

It is not only Flex that it breaks but, emergancy services, and so forth. About time Microsoft fixes a long standing issue.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    DAX is the only thing that ever breaks for me.  I have about 40-50 PCs running myriad programs.
  • Filip - ON7FD
    Filip - ON7FD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Bill - VA3WTB , do you really think Microsoft is awake about Flex, don't think so.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    It's not only Flex having issues with Microsoft updates. The blame is on Microsoft.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Probably best to not engage the cheer squad.  All they know how to do is cheer.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    what ever that means...lol
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The DAX issues are a shared responsibility.  I believe FRS has been continuously working towards solutions, though the process is certainly not helped by Microsoft's unresolved core problems with drivers during updates.

Outstandingly FRS has stepped up with the one solution that has been fully in their control - educating us, the ad hoc "repair team" guys, and the formal DAX repair support FRS has been doing.  This may not be the most convenient for those affected by DAX Driver Naming corruption but it is effective.

As always if you can fix the problem if it comes up, open a help ticket.  I had to do this on a PC that eluded my efforts. 

Someday one or both of the partners in this issue may fix the underlying issue or have a less hands-on repair procedure.  But for now we're either stuck with getting by with the Help Ticket fallback repair, locking down our systems so they never update on their own, or moving on to other options. 

Most of us find the upside of running our Flex-6000s greatly in favor of keeping them despite the DAX driver upsets. 

Thinking completely out loud with an idea - would many of us be willing to run a dedicated SmartSDR Client PC that is locked down along the lines of the Maestro? 

The general thoughts have been we value our platform's flexibility and multi-tasking capabilities more than the protection from DAX naming issues.  

The same capabilities-control/interaction issues have made a Linux and Android client difficult enough that neither FRS or third-party developers have ready to use options yet.  I think my first 6700 delivered in 2013, so we're over five years into things.

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com 

• Filip - ON7FD
    Filip - ON7FD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I agree, but this cannot drag on forever. Flex cannot let something like this drag on, this only gives Flex a bad name. Microsoft already has a bad name :-) 

Nice website that you have there btw
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Filip, I really don't know what you want Flex to do when Windows has this big bug?
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Agreeing Microsoft is the root cause of this issue, Flex is promoting and selling this feature. If the feature does not work correctly with Microsoft, Flex should not promote their product with this option.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Would you can you? 
    Write a new program to substitute Microsoft's.
    This was no issue when Flex started their software design; and now the new pea "nut" gallery is complaining.
    They Do NOT need you to tell them what they need to do.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @ON7FD - Thank you Filip. @All - Please assume that FRS continues to work towards solutions. Sometimes we lose sight of how complicated things can be. There are iOS and MacOS clients if you truly want to avoid the Windows issues. For better or for worse most of us have Windows PCs in our shacks or a virtualized instance of Windows. With so many other ham programs expecting a Windows environment it is limiting if you do something else. If you take time to learn and understand the Windows update processes the flirting with disaster is not limited to just DAX and the issues are complex as to the why. Your hardware and software may not all work after the next upgrades yet you are not realistic if you try to keep your system static. Features are depreciated, broken or redefined. Ditto with workarounds and API hooks. Fairly dynamic. What it is is what it is. My hope is that this issue improves over time. 73 Steve K9ZW Blog: http://k9zw.wordpress.com
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I believe that a PowerShell script could be used to enumerate the DAX sound devices and then replace them with correct names and order. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    And if it were so simple Flex would have done that a long time ago.
    Dax works very very well, till an update scambles everything.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    All I can say this this DAX/Windows issue must be costing FlexRadio a lot of time and money.
    Maybe a Batch file would help?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Perhaps if, and only if, the Microsoft induced problems were consistent by being limited just to a renaming/reordering process.  

There are plenty of other threads, FRS website resources and anecdotal stories of how, in particular individual instances  the problem was driven deeper into the Windows morass of dependencies.  

There seems to be differences in what update mischief happens if your system Windows history differs, if other installed software has touched audio drivers, and other variables.  

If a script was coded to abort with a "Open a Help Ticket" message for anything other than a standard plain name/order corruption instance automation could help.  

Given you can really mess up a system with the process and the variability of what the remote tech actually needs to do would this script really work? 

Or would it embolden folk into totally screwing up their systems?

As an aside FRS told me that sorting out user repairs that went off the rails takes more time than just doing the basic fixes they remotely offer.

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com 

• Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I've had the Dax driver error message once on my Win10 machine.

That once was when I failed to close SSDR, close DAX/CAT, turn off the radio, turn off the ps and close any and every program using DAX.

I have my internet set to "METERED" and manually install each update after doing the above.

Knock on wood, so far so good.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    A script would work for checking and renaming DAX audio device labels.  The script will abort if it finds the proper device labels and order.  It will then open a web browser window to the Flex support page so you can open a ticket with Flex.  It will also output a list of other things to try while waiting on Flex support.  This will be a big time saver.  No more searching the Flex community for solutions that dont work.  

The script will be available around Q4 of 2020 as it is now contest season and I have no time to write it.  It will be a great tool and help countless Flex users with the dreaded Windows update dilemma !

The script should only be used by experienced computer professionals at their own risk of course.

I might be "nuts" for doing this ?
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    BTW Tim was able to resolve my issue. He also said an update for the DAX should be out soon to resolve this once and for all.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.