DAX error after Windows Update 1907 and upgrade to 2.5.1

• Problem
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • (Edited)
This morning I got the notice that there was a window update to 1903 from 1803. I decide to upgrade to SSDR from 2.4.9 to 2.5.1 at the same time. I uninstalled SSDR 2.4.9 as per the instructions at https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSDR-for-Windows-from-your-PC
I then did the windows update. I then installed SSDR 2.5.1. I then updated the radio (6500). I also did a cold boot of the radio. 

After the first boot of the radio and connecting to SSDR 2.5.1 I got a pop up saying the DAX driver may not be properly installed. The DAX Control Panel shows a driver error for IQ Stream 1. 

Thanks
Kent
N6WT
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 113 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 636 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Open a ticket with Flex...  If yours is anything like what I've seen you can go past the message and the stream will work on RX 2 or 3 or 4... they will fix it for you
(Edited)
Photo of Andy M5ZAP

Andy M5ZAP

• 171 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I had the same DAX error after updating to the latest V3 this was without the windows update, I therefore the error  is due to the latest update rather than a windows update.
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 113 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have figured out that the SSDR update has renamed some of the Recording and Playback sound devices incorrectly. I was able to rename the DAX Reserved IQ RX 1 device correctly to get rid of the error but there are several devices under the recording tab that are messed up that I'm not sure where to start with them. Filling out a ticket.
(Edited)
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 208 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
I went from 2.4.9 to 2.5.1 on W10x64 1903 and DAX came up working the first time I started 2.5.1. No issues.  I did not uninstall 2.4.9 before installing 2.5.1.  I did not uninstall any DAX or CAT drivers before the new install.  All seems to work fine.

I've been running 1903 for several weeks.  This is the first time I've upgraded SSDR without losing DAX.  I think the key is to just install the upgrade and don't worry with any uninstalls.  On prior upgrades, I've uninstalled the old SSDR before installing the new one and lost the DAX drivers every time.

My upgrade of W10 from 1809 to 1903 did kill the 2.4.9 DAX drivers and using Tim's posted instructions I had them back in about ten minutes. 

That said, there are many possible system configs that could cause an issue, but I do not believe SSDR 2.5.1 is in and of itself an issue with the DAX drivers.  Nothing I've seen using my 6400 today indicates any issues.
Photo of Art - N4QNT

Art - N4QNT

• 57 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Go into programs files / FlexRadio systems / smartsdr v2.5.1 / 64bit divers, then in each folder starting with TX Audio, right mouse key on smartsdr_tx_dax run as administrator on the uninstall.bat after the CMD black screen do the same on the install.bat, remember to run as administrator on each file in the other 3 folders, RX Audio, Mic Audio, IQ Dax... Reboot PC and things should work well.
(Edited)
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 113 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Art
I had tried the How to Manually Re-Install DAX Drivers before I reached out for support but it did not work this time.

Thanks
Photo of Andy M5ZAP

Andy M5ZAP

• 171 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Hi Art,
Tried uninstalling all copies of SmartSDR and then only reinstalling the latest V3 and problem persisted.

Used the manual uninstall and reinstall of the IQ_DAX drivers as described and after a reboot all was well again (Note the reboot was required)

Many Thanks
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 208 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Maybe you fixed DAX already but here is the process I use for W10x64. Make sure to change all of the 2.4.9 to 2.5.1.

Also at the bottom is another approach that I have used once with success after the first process above failed to work.

1. Shut down SmartSDR

2. Close the DAX Control Panel

3. Close any sound card applications that may be using a DAX sound device

4. Using the Windows Search, type in CMD.

5. Right click on cmd.exe and Run as Administrator

6. Change directory to where the DAX_IQ driver is located: 

cd \Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\SmartSDR v2.4.9\64-bit Drivers\IQ_DAX 

1. Run the DAXIQ driver uninstall batch file:

SmartSDR_IQ_DAX_uninstall.bat

1. Run the DAXIQ driver install batch file:

SmartSDR_IQ_DAX_install.bat

1. Change directory to where the RXAudio_DAX driver is located:

cd \Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\SmartSDR v2.4.9\64-bit Drivers\RXAudio_DAX 

1. Run the RXAudio_DAX driver uninstall batch file:

SmartSDR_RX_DAX_uninstall.bat

1. Run the RXAudio_DAX driver install batch file:

SmartSDR_RX_DAX_install.bat

1. Change directory to where the TXAudio_DAX driver is located:

cd \Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\SmartSDR v2.4.9\64-bit Drivers\TXAudio_DAX 

1. Run the TXAudio_DAX driver uninstall batch file:

SmartSDR_TX_DAX_uninstall.bat

1. Run the TXAudio_DAX driver install batch file:

SmartSDR_TX_DAX_install.bat

1. Change directory to where the MICAudio_DAX driver is located:

cd \Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\SmartSDR v2.4.9\64-bit Drivers\MICAudio_DAX

1. Run the MICAudio_DAX driver uninstall batch file: 

SmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX_uninstall.bat

1. Run the MICAudio_DAX driver install batch file: 

SmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX_install.bat

1. Close the command window

2. Reboot the PC

Also look at this tread title if the above does not work.

"Most Common Fix for DAX Driver errors in Windows Spring Update (1803) (You can do this!)"
Photo of Art - N4QNT

Art - N4QNT

• 57 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Hi Lionel, that seems like a lot of typing in the CMD Window, not sure if you saw my above post, just using the mouse to uninstall and reinstall as Admin is way faster and does the same results...
(Edited)
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 524 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Copy and paste. I've had to do those steps. Takes just a few minutes
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 205 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
I do copy paste and it’s pretty fast and no typos. Learned the hard way.
Photo of Bob Young

Bob Young

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
This is freaking ridiculous. Every time I do an upgrade the DAX is always FUBAR. WHY can't Flex fix this? I completely uninstall the old version, DAX drivers etc and again with v2.51 the same thing DAX issues
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Young

Bob Young

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks N5LB for re-posting the fix. I finally have it v2.51 working, but it just makes me loose my mind at all of the time I usually end up wasting just to get a new update working.

(Edited)
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 113 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Bob

I dont think it is a SSDR problem I think it is a Windows problem.
Photo of Bob Young

Bob Young

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I spoke too soon, I am getting still a DAX IQ error message. I ended up rolling my update back.  
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 113 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I could not fix the problem with the "How to Manually Re-Install DAX Drivers". I went thru and renamed the DAX devices by looking at each of their properties and renaming them from there. 
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1660 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes

To All:

Or, optionally if nothing else seems to work for you, then drop into the Flexradio IRC channel, by clicking the link to it I include in my post signatures. I will be glad to help solve your DAX driver issues, for you, but it often requires the use of a Team Viewer session to get the fix done efficiently, I can walk you through the Team Viewer install and setup, and the DAX driver repair in the IRC channel. I will attempt to teach you to do it yourself the next time it gets broken too.

The problem is caused by Microsoft trying to migrate audio devices incorrectly, during windows updates. The update installer always seems to fail to rename the DAX IQ device names correctly.

So Flexradio is neither to blame nor capable of fixing the Windows update installer problems.

There are other workarounds, such as completely removing all SmartSDR, SmartCAT and Dax Software prior to performing a windows update. but they require you to do them before NOT afterward, or they will fix nothing. 

Good luck with guessing when that needs to happen. It's a lot easier to just repair the device names afterward.

I get notified when anyone joins the channel and sends a message to it, however, I'm not at my desk 24/7, So join the channel and ask for help until I respond to you. Just leave the chat window open until I respond, you have to be in the channel to see my responses. If we fail to hookup on the first attempt then keep trying. I use Jay-NO5J as my IRC Nickname, if you use something similar like YourName-Callsign, it makes it easier for me to spot someone new entering the channel. 

Just click the link below!!!

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

(Edited)
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 615 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Thank you Jay for your IRC channel.
I often go there to check and look for answers to my situation; that often been asked and re-asked hundreds of times.
Photo of Andy M5ZAP

Andy M5ZAP

• 171 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Hi,
This is the first time in years of updating Flex software that I have had the Dax driver issues and it was on a flex software update not a windows update. Manually uninstalling and reinstalling the DAX_IQ drivers resolved it for me (But not others).

This has been an on going problem for ever. Regardless of whether it is a windows issue or not, flex choose to use the windows platform for their software so a long term fix/work around  is required, flex support must spend hours of their time helping customers.

Whatever process the support team do, be it manual uninstall/reinstall could be written into a series of utilities that people could use if they experience a problem or even a utility to run before and after a windows update occurs.

Just moaning about windows all the time wont get rid of the problem!
(Edited)
Photo of W5AP

W5AP

• 97 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a batch file to accomplish this.  Boy am I a dreamer.

However, instead of using the cmd entry box, I've always just used the Windows Explorer file display and gone to C:\Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\SmartSDR vx.0.xx\32-bit Drivers or 64-bit drivers as appropriate\   then click on each DAX folder - right clicking as run as administrator on the uninstall.bat then doing the same with the install.bat      Much easier than typing into the cmd box.
Then remove all the ghosted audio files by opening the Windows Device manager, clicking on Audio inputs and outputs, then at top click on View/show hidden devices   and carefully remove all lightly grayed out entries then do a computer restart.

That's basically the same as Tim's approach but a little simpler.
Photo of Michael N3LI

Michael N3LI

• 34 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I have long pined for a program that we could run after every Windows update. The name might be something like FlexRefresh. Click on it and if prompts you to save your profiles, then scorched earth gets rid of everything. Programs, sound drivers, the whole works. After that it reinstalls everything, prompts you to reload your profiles, and happy times. 

If it's any consolation, a lot of people with a lot of W10 computers are hit by the Windows 10 update malware. This isn't Flex only.

In the meantime, there are three solutions. Two are windows based.

Option 1 is DogPark. I haven't had mine go down yet.

Option 2 is Windows 7. Also works FB. Because it seldom gets updates.

Option 3 is just one I got lucky with. People I consult with purchased me a WorkStation laptop, and it can only be updated when I take it to them for an update. Otherwise It can't be touched.
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 636 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
just FYI.... the uninstall and reinstall of all those drives for me did not fix the issue and this is only the second time I have ever experienced any DAX issues.. it WAS a windows renaming of DAX IQ devices that caused the issue.. all my DAX drivers where installed correctly.

You can quickly identify the issue by looking at your IQ streams, if RX 1 does not work (driver error) yet RX 2 or 3 or 4 DO work you have the renaming issue NOT a DAX driver issue.
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 113 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This is how I identified which DAX devices were named incorrectly. If you look at the properties of each device go to the levels tab, look at the name next to the level slider. That is the correct name and must match with the name on the general tab. You can change the name on the general tab then hit ok. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. The items next to the arrows must match.
Photo of Timothy McElfresh

Timothy McElfresh

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just what I needed.  Thanks, Kent.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 858 Posts
  • 318 Reply Likes
Here's the procedure that I've been using when I tackle this issue from the helpdesk:

1. Check under Settings->Privacy->Microphone that Allow apps to access your microphone is On.
2. Check under Settings->Update & Security->Windows Security->Device Security that Core isolation is Off.
3. Verify under Settings->Accounts that your account is an Administrator (not likely a problem in your case).
4. Make sure any programs using the audio devices is closed (this includes SmartSDR, DAX, etc).
5. Open the Sound devices (right click on the speaker near the clock and select Sounds).  Verify the Playback and Recording tabs match the naming in the attached list of screenshots.  If the names are scrambled, rename them using the driver name (shown below the device name) as a key.  Keep the indices matched when possible (e.g. if the device was scrambled and is called "DAX RESERVED Audio RX 3" but the driver name is "FlexRadio Systems DAX IQ", we know that it should be a DAX RESERVED IQ device.  So rename it to "DAX RESERVED IQ RX 3").  Note that you can use the lack of a consistent 1...2...3...4...etc to help understand which ones are missing and find these to be renamed.  The list should match the attached list exactly when you are done for the DAX devices.
6. Make sure that the DAX devices are not set as the default audio devices (record and playback).  Typically you should set the built in microphone and speaker devices to be the default.

Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 896 Posts
  • 185 Reply Likes
Slice C is set to use DaX channel #8 ?

Property settings for the DaX #8 channel match the other working DaX channels?
Photo of Andy - KU7T

Andy - KU7T

• 242 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi,

as mentioned before, the below tool will take away your grief. My ham shack Windows has not updated since January. I go in and use the tool once in a while to take the security updates. Once FRS has figured out the issue and permanently fixes fixes it (maybe my renaming them or shortening the names or whatever) I will take the latest update. 

https://github.com/DavidXanatos/wumgr/releases

Andy
KU7T
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 483 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
As stated FRS can't fix the windows update problem, BUT I do agree with Andy the naming of the DAX devices could be made a little simpler to make manual renaming easier.

Eric - KE5DTO post above is the best I've seen to implement renaming, for me anyways cuz what should be in the default audio devices (record and playback) gets confusing a bit. His images of the the Playback and Recording windows greatly simplified it for me and I was done in 30 seconds.

To review, I uninstalled/installed DAX drivers, made sure SmartSDR etc. was closed, opened up default audio devices, saw the very obvious wrongly named devices, renamed them. Opened up SmartSDR, DAX opened with no errors and test all DAX's working as should.

So perhaps instead of DAX Audio RX 1, have it called DAX Recording RX 1, and then instead of DAX RESERVED AUDIO RX 1 etc, call it DAX Playback RX 1. The word AUDIO is redundant, this is short and sweet and the naming easily identifies where is should be, either in the Playback or Recording sound devices.
(Edited)
Photo of Ray - K6LJ

Ray - K6LJ

• 75 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Ok Hi everyone - every time I think I have the Dax issue at least known something else comes up. Because of K3TIM. I went back and look at everything again. I found that in windows there is a window see below. This showed the missing DAX drivers disabled.

These were disabled I guess because they had been renamed to the same as the other Audio drivers. I was unable to see them so did not know where to look. Finally I found "Manage Sound Devices" This enabled me to rename them then enable them. What next? Just when I get a handle on finding and renaming bad driver names they throw this at me. Anyhow all is well that ends well. the only issue left is that when try to stream info to Dax #8 the button turns blue but no streaming and no error.
Thanks K3TIM  for pushing me to look again.
Ray
Photo of K1FR

K1FR

• 110 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks to Eric and all the other helpful posters!

Murphy finally caught up with me. Somehow windows upgrades have never been a problem - just dumb luck probably; but,  the 1903 upgrade got me today. I used Tim's write up on uninstalling everything SSDR related prior to the upgrade but must have missed a step somewhere. DAX was gooned up big time. The above posts got me on the air in fine shape again.

73, Tom
 K1FR
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 199 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Things were mostly working after 1903 and 2.5.1 but, since this is the last V2 update, I removed all my previous versions of 2.x.x. Used PCTools to remove all the leftover Flex notations in the registry. Only problem after fresh 2.5.1 install was I had to repair the FlexVSP service.