DAX drivers install as 32 bit-?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Looking through my computer system today and I find the DAX drivers that are installed are 32 bit. I have an intel 64 bit system! I wonder why the 64 bit drivers did not get installed. Anyone have any info?  does it make a difference?
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
This is technically impossible to do. Windows will not allow the installation of 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit system. If your PC is running a 64-bit Windows, the SmartSDR installer installed 64-bit drivers.
(Edited)
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Hi tim Looking at task manager it says DAX (32 bit) and SmartSDR (32 bit) (2). my windows is windows 10  home 64 bit operating system x64 based processor. Intel(r) core (tm) i5-2520  cpu @ 2.5GHZ.
Is there another way to check?
Photo of Roy - W5TKZ

Roy - W5TKZ

• 124 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Reginald,

Win 10 is 32 or 64 bit. It will run both. I don't believe it makes any difference. 

73 - Roy W5TKZ
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Thanks Roy. I am curious though why a 64 bit program would install as 32 bit? that seems odd!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
That is not the drivers.  That is the application, which is 32-bit
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 220 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
My system also shows CAT and DAX as 32-bit in Task Manager, and I am running 64-bit Windows 10. You can look under "Program Files" in the C: drive root to find the FlexRadio folder, indicating that the program installed as a 64-bit version. If it were under " Program Files (x86)" it would indicate it was installed as 32-bit. My guess is that the DAX and other Flex programs have some 32-bit component to them that Windows sees as 32-bit and therefore displays that info in Task Manager. If it installed in the 64-bit "Program Files" folder, it is certainly 64-bit.

Greg - N8GD
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 220 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
A little research reveals that 64-bit programs that interact with 32-bit programs will spawn 32-bit versions to do so. This would apply to many SSDR and related programs that do indeed interact with other programs.

Greg - N8GD
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 220 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
You also need to realize that the processes you see listed in Task Manager are not the actual DAX audio drivers but rather control programs that control the behavior of those drivers. The control programs may indeed be 32-bit versions, and it is more common for 32-bit programs to run under 64-bit Windows even if the entire program suite is installed as a 64-bit version.

Greg - N8GD
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Most interesting - I am running a 64 bit version of Win 8.1, however if I click on the Flex Virtual Serial Port in the device drivers and click on the driver detail, it says it is loaded into the "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ftvsport.sys"

and the task manager reports that the DAX and SDR are both 32 bit applications.

And when I look at the Driver File Details of the DAX drivers under the Sound section of the Device Manager, it too lists the file location as "system32\drivers\audiodax.sys" (plus other files, all in the file location "system32\drivers"

Not that I care that much, since I have zero problems with CAT, DAX or SDR, but this did make me look and wonder.  I suppose it could be a windows reporting error also. . .

oh well - time to look for some DX . . .
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 220 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
There is no "system64" folder. The folder named "system" is for backwards compatibility with older Windows systems. All 32 and 64-bit drivers go into "system32."

Greg - N8GD
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Got It

Thank you !  Will go back to "What, Me Worry? "
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 220 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Yeah, we need to quit worrying about all this "under the hood" stuff and get back on the radio. It's getting dark here and time to see what madness is on 80 Meters!

Greg - N8GD

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.