Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX drivers and Remote Audio (Windows 10)

Options
Robert -- N5IKD
Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
DAX drivers and Remote Audio stopped working after using Microsoft Remote Desktop. I having it working again, but my question is should I try to use Remote Desktop again? Is there an easier solution? Has anyone else seen this issue? 

Here is the rest of the story...

In version 1.4 I had DAX drivers and Remote Audio working fine. (It still works fine... read on)
I also was able to demonstrate remote audio working through an RDP session. An RDP session is not ideal, but it makes a great demonstration. At some point while running SmartSDR 1.4 the remote audio stopped working and DAX would indicate a driver error. I had hoped that the process of updating to 1.4.3 would fix this issue, but it did not. When I updated I did uninstall the old version including the DAX drivers (since they appeared to be an issue) to no avail.

At this point when remote audio is not working on the local machine it still works when I connect using Remote Desktop.

I have it working fine now on 1.4.3 and here is what I did to fix it.

1. Export profiles.
2. Exit DAX and CAT manually.
3. Uninstall SmartSDR including DAX drivers.
4. Reset radio to factory default. (This step is probably unnecessary, but thorough)
5. The first time I run DAX after a new installation I always have to exit and manually start DAX one time. It works fine after that. (What is this all about?)
6. Import profiles.

Answers

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use RDP a lot from a mac to my home windows computer where SSDR runs. Haven't had any problems with remote audio using RDP, but Dax is weird -- RDP doesn't seem to show or support (?) the various dax audio devices, so if I start fiddling with dax, it complains that it can't find the audio device or something.  I can usually get around that by enabling all the dax buttons when I'm actually connected to the console of my home computer, then it continues to work after I connect to RDP as long as I don't touch it.  I have the same issue with WSJT over RDP - wsjt also doesn't see the dax audio devices.  This is a windows/rdp issue though, just wish I could figure out an easier workaround.

Even though windows doesn't seem to see the dax audio devices through rdp, it *does* see the remote audio device.  Not sure what the difference is.

Either way, I'm doing all of this using the Mac version of remote desktop, so the windows version might be different.

-Robbie

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    When you are using RDP are you using in on a LAN or WAN (or both)?
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Typically when I use RDP I am using it over WAN. My results are the same either LAN or WAN.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

I find that very interesting. I have been using Teamviewer both LAN and WAN and have not had any problems. Just for fun, I used the DAX to transport the audio, as well as the remote, and could not detect any difference in SSB quality to my aging ears. Thanks for your input.

Jim, K6QE

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    With Win 10, until the final release is out and they stop making major changes, you should expect all sorts of weirdness.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, I don't expect Windows 10 to be officially supported by any vendor until sometime after the official release.

I wanted to help other people that may be having this issue by posting my solution and ask if anyone else has seen an issues after using RDP. I am not going to try to reproduce the issue because like you said, it is not a released version of Windows.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Robbie,

Although I can get the remote audio on Teamviewer on a WAN, I always use another third party software to transport the audio. On the computer I am running my flex on my LAN I direct the audio to a  program called Romac. On the client end (over a WAN) I decode the audio with another version of Romac and direct to any audio device I want. You might try the same thing with RDP and see if running the audio "independently" with another third party program solves you problem.

Jim, K6QE

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks Jim - sounds like a good solution. I'm not familiar with Romac so I'll have to check it out.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options

Also, there is another program that is wonderful for transporting audio over the WAN and that is Remaud.

http://df3cb.com/remaud/

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.