Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX driver fix batch files

Mark_WS7M
Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I will attempt to give credit where due.  These are based off work done by another member here so not my original work.  Unfortunately I cannot remember who that member was.   CRS disease!

There are two batch files:

DaxFixPart1.bat - This removes all dax drivers

DaxFixPart2.bat - This installs all dax drivers

You need to be administrator for these to work.  The way I use them is to put them somewhere easy like C:DaxFix. 
  1. First, reboot your computer for a fresh start
  2. Then hit your Windows command key or mouse to the Windows symbol.  
  3. Type in:  command
  4. In the list you should see "Command Prompt".  Do NOT hit ENTER or click to run it.  
  5. Instead, right-click on it and select "Run as administrator"
  6. Once that window comes up type:
  7. cd c:DaxFix     (or whatever directory you put them in)
  8. Then type:  DaxFixPart1   and let it finish.
  9. Optional but highly recommended is another reboot here
  10. If you rebooted, re-run the command prompt again as administrator and CD into your DaxFix directory.
  11. Type: DaxFixPart2
  12. Optional again, but another reboot is highly recommended.
  13. If all goes well you should have working DAX drivers at this point.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6je9imnqunavk8a/DaxFixPart1.bat?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru74tsswgns4zde/DaxFixPart2.bat?dl=0

Also please note... At the top of each batch file there is code to specifically tries to CD into 2.0.19.  If you have a different version of SmartSDR you will need to change that CD location to match.

Comments

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks, Mark...but so that I fully understand. What do you mean by CD in the above?   I am running version 1.11.12.....so what would I need to do?...Hopefully in simple terms.   Many Thanks and 73, Jim     KD1I
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    So is this the magic bullet that can be used to restore operation after a Windows update failure?
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    CD = Change Directory.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    In general... yes.

I will not try to argue that it will always fix all issues.  But it generally for me fixes any windows "driver errors" after an update with DAX.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    This is still the preferred method of restoring the DAX drivers. 

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers

All this batch file does is sequentially execute the same batch files, but in a manner that if there is an error, it is not traped.

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hi James,

CD does equal Change Directory. 

For 1.x what you will need to do is figure out the exact path to where the SmartSDR stuff is installed.  If you look below at Tim's answer the step by step directions do lead you to where the files would be and you would simply change the CD command at the top to go to that location
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Completely agree.  I have yet to have a case where these batch files did not work.  But if they don't without any doubt Tim's instructions are the way to go.

I will say however that these batch files do the exact same thing as the steps in Tim's post.  From what I can see the only error trapping on the steps in Tim's post would be visually by the operator seeing that something failed.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Mark I saved the page Tim linked to on my desktop along with a couple of other fairly essential pages in a folder for reference if I am having issues. Although very tempting l may try your quickie .bat files for grins. Good ol dos commands.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Cool, let me know if they work for you.  As I said above, if you look at Tim's instructions really the batch file just does those automatically.  

Tim is right that if one line fails the next will has no clue and will keep going.  But in my case, twice now, after windows updates these batch files have worked perfectly.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yep Tim's right and I really have had no issue whatsoever doing it that way so second thought probably shouldn't change a thing. Also can't do anything right now anyway, no radio in the house. "Soon" ;-)
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    "no radio in the house"  Ouch... Hope it comes soon!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Me too Mark. Bouvet? Still praying really hard for my friends at FRS. Did I mention "Programmers RULE"...
  • James Del Principe
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, Mark. I hate to ask such obvious questions but you set it straight. &3, Jim
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Works great.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You convinced me Bob, guess I'll save that batch file for future use. Thanks!
  • Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Need to borrow a radio, Clay?

• James Del Principe
    edited February 2018
    Not to beat a dead horse but I'd like your input on an experience I am having with a DAX driver error I am experiencing. On boot up I get: DAX Driver Error:

an error has occurred while trying to open a DAX sound device. The following fault conditions may apply:
    -the DAX driver may not be properly installed
    -another application has exclusive use of a reserved DAX sound device
    -the DAX sound device may have been manually disabled.
    If this problem persists, please submit a help desk support request for technical assistance.

I use FLDIGI and it works just fine despite this error warning. So my question is: "Should I reload the DAX drivers per Tim's instructions?" or something else?

Many Thanks and 73, Jim        KD1I

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Well the first thing I would do is:

Make sure nothing else is running DAX.  Make sure no other app on your computer has a DAX sound device selected and is currently running.

Some older apps open sound devices in exclusive mode.  When this happens another app that is trying run can cause problems.

But that all aside, the error you are getting is coming after boot up and is coming with the DAX control panel tries to start up.   If you were to look at the DAX control panel I think you would see some red for the drivers that could not be accessed.

So yes... based on that I would try a DAX driver reinstall.
  • James Del Principe
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, Mark. Not sure what other app would use DAX but I will check and take your advice to reload.    Very Best, Jim
  • James Del Principe
    edited February 2018
     OK, so I tried to follow Tim's procedure to reload the DAX files. I had no luck using CMD commands.  Kept getting directory not found. I am not new to command line work but after the 12th try I went to plan 'B', Windows Explorer.  In Windows Explorer, I located the correct directory for the drivers and right clicked on each of the 4 drivers uninstall file and ran as administrator. After each uninstall, I ran install. After doing all four, I rebooted and wonder of wonder.... no more DAX error and FLDIGI worked fine once more.
    So it presents a question:" Why use the CMD prompt if it can be done in Explorer with a few clicks?   73, Jim
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Because if there is an error in the uninstall or reinstall, you cannot capture it for additional diagnostic troubleshooting.

If you were getting directory not found, I suspect that you were not using the directory path of the latest version of SmartSDR.
  • James Del Principe
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Tim. I changed the numbers to match the release level of my current software, 1.11.12.     Was this not correct?       Jim
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    That is the correct version.  You can find the batch files using Windows Explorer and validate the path

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.