Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX Driver Error

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
So I decided to go back to SmartSDR 1.5 with a clean install instead of just installing over the previous version... now I'm hosed, no matter what I've tried I am getting the dreaded DAX Driver Error.  Tried clean uninstall, cleanup, reboot, make sure default sound devices are selected and on and on.. same issue.. opened a trouble ticket and sure hope I get to the bottom of this soon..  Even going back to previous versions now results in the same issue..

Comments

• Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Open a support ticket.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Steve, yes support ticket is opened
    Robbie, I did follow those removal instructions... twice

I even looked over and followed the DAX Driver remove and reinstall instructions..

thanks
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    When you try a manual install (i.e. "Step 7 on

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers

)

watch and see if there are any "Access Denied" type errors as the batch file executes.

If there are the problem is a loss of Windows administrative privileges for the user. I'm not sure what the resolution is but it is a Windows problem.

Happened to me this weekend.

Bob, K8RC
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    will give it a shot, Thanks Bob... it goes by so fast hard to tell..

Also found all the DAX entries under Device Manager (Audio inputs and outputs) each entry in 8 times after uninstall (hidden).. example DAX IQ RX 1 (DAX RX IQ) entered 8 times...

So cleaning all this up and reattempting an install (fresh)

Just in case you were wondering, that's 8 devices all the same times 8 entries give or take a few... so at least 64 entries I had to delete that were all hidden, all DAX related
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    no luck, same issue... this time I installed fresh, rebooted, then started SmartSDR, then started radio, it sat for quite a while, actually thought it was going to work then up pops the error
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just FYI: The way you wind-up with those extra entries (8 complete sets of DAX ports) is by having done the install either successfully or unsuccessfully 8 times.  Because DAX isn't associated with a specific piece of hardware in the machine, each time you install it, you'll get a new set of DAX ports.

The extra sets won't necessarily WORK, but they get instantiated nonetheless.

Peter
    K1PGV

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Try using Revo Unistaller instead of the one from Windows Control Panel , uninstall SSDR and have it do an advanced scan for leftover items.  Delete EVERYTHING it finds and then reinstall.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    WOW! That's a lot!

BTW, if you run the .bat files from a CMD box (a.k.a. "DOS box) instead of
    Windows Explorer the results will stay visible.

I have found that with my Win8.1 box, at least, copying and pasting a path name into a CMD box only works occasionally.

So, it's kinda a pain to hand type the looong path & file names, as in "CD C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.5.064-bit DriversIQ_DAX"" and then execute "SmartSDR_IQ_DAX_uninstall.bat", for example, but it will give you a better understanding of what's going on. If you just do that one example it will tell you what you need to know.

I'm going to work on my machine some more this afternoon to see if I can resolve the administrative rights thing.

(Man, I miss my XP!)

Bob, K8RC

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Rick... tried that as well now, same issue... even after a complete uninstall / cleanup and going back to 1.4.16.142 I still get the error
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Trying this Bob.. thanks... used to be a way to "open a command prompt here" but not under 10
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    So now I see this..

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.4.1664-bit DriversRXAudio_DAX>SmartSDR_RXAudio_DAX_install.batA subdirectory or file C:UsersDavidAppDataRoamingFlexRadio SystemsInstLogs already exists.
            1 file(s) copied.
    WDREG utility v10.40. Build Oct 17 2011 12:38:06

Processing HWID FlexRadioSystems_DAX_Audio
    Installing a signed driver package for FlexRadioSystems_DAX_Audio
    Error: Failed to install the INF file (C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.4.1664-bit DriversRXAudio_DAXSmartSdr_Audio_DAX.inf)
    LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallA
    LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
    LOG ok: 1, Looking for Model Section [DevSection.NTamd64]...
    LOG ok: 1, Installing INF file 'C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.4.1664-bit DriversRXAudio_DAXSmartSdr_Audio_DAX.inf' (Plug and Play).
    LOG INFO(1): error 3, Could not open file C:WINDOWSSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositorysmartsdr_audio_dax.inf_amd64_47a8288205eb00e3smartsdr_audio_dax.inf.
    LOG ERROR(3): error 3ee, PnP Install failed.
    LOG ok: 1, Attempting to rollback ...
    LOG ok: 1, No devices to rollback
    LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x3EE)
    LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallA  (0x3EE)
     difx_install_preinstall_inf: err 3ee, last event 3, last error 3ee. UNKNOWN
    Error: Failed trying to install the driver

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.4.1664-bit DriversRXAudio_DAX>
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Error 0x3EE means "FIle Invalid"... could the downloaded driver installation file you have be damaged in some way?

Peter
    K1PGV

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

Those failures could also be as a result of denied access. That's why I suggested looking at the Batch files executing in a DOS box. The log file you quote doesn't say WHY it couldn't open the file.

Now then, as far as my personal version of the problem is concerned, I started the festivities this afternoon by uninstalling the partial (no DAX, no CAT) install of version 1.4.16. When I rebooted, the machine installed some pending updates.

I re-installed 1.5 and it went well and complete but it still had an audio distortion problem so I uninstalled 1.5 but it didn't uninstall the DAX drivers even though I requested that be done. I uninstalled DAX manually in Device Manager.

Then when I reinstalled 1.4.16 it loaded everything and I'm good. I'm 24 hours too late for the CQ WW RTTY Test but, oh well...

I think maybe the Windows 8.1 Update last week hosed me originally and the one that installed today fixed the problem. Dunno.

Bob

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    This directory / file does not even exist...
    C:WINDOWSSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositorysmartsdr_audio_dax.inf_amd64_47a8288205eb00e3smartsdr_audio_dax.inf.

That would be an issue
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well.. after much research and discovery I have resolved the issue.. little tricky but I found it.  What happened was there is a registry entry that was not removed and could not be removed by the normal user or even regedit running as administrator.  There are some tools out there that will allow you to remove entries regardless.

Here is what I found, there are 3 DAX drivers that need to be installed. smartsdr_audio_dax (the one I had issues with), smartsdr_iq_dax and smartsdr_tx_dax.. you can see if there are any erros by following the "How to Manually Re-Install DAX Drivers" in the support area.  So to resolve my issue I followed the how to remove smartSDR from your PC and rebooted, then I went through all Devices (have to show hidden) and removed all DAX stuff there as well as COM ports left over from SmartSDR.. I then went trough the registry and found the below key that was not removable.  I used a program called "Registrar Registry Manager, home edition" to locate and remove that key.

Here was the leftover KEY:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEDRIVERSDriverDatabaseDriverPackagessmartsdr_audio_dax.inf_amd64_47a8288205eb00e3]"Version"=hex:00,00,09,00,00,00,00,00,6c,e9,36,4d,25,e3,ce,11,bf,c1,08,00,2b,
      e1,03,18,00,80,51,91,bb,10,cf,01,00,00,00,00,01,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,
    "Provider"="FlexRadio Systems"
    "InfName"="SmartSdr_Audio_DAX.inf"
    "OemPath"="C:\Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\SmartSDR v1.4.16\64-bit Drivers\RXAudio_DAX"
    "SignerName"="Bronze Bear Communications, Inc D/B/A FlexRadio Systems"
    "ImportDate"=hex:d0,83,c7,6e,dd,e8,d0,01
    "SignerScore"=dword:0f000000
    "StatusFlags"=dword:00000112
    @="oem202.inf"

I then did one last search in the registry looking for DAX and removed anything obviously related (196 keys approximately).  Modifying your registry in windows is NOT recommended or for the faint of heart... however after installing the software from a fresh install all is working perfectly.

I will be passing this information on the support.

Thanks all..

David
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just for the archives:  These registry entries are designed NOT to be removed.  They are part of what I was referring to earlier when I noted that "once you install a driver, you can never really completely UNinstall it."

These registry entries can be "orphaned" on *very* rare cases if an install fails, usually due to a disk error. It's MORE likely, however, that these entries no longer correlate to a driver package in the "driver store" because some files have been manually deleted.

I'm very glad removing this and the other registry entries worked for you and you're now able to install and run DAX normally. YAY!  However, your course of action isn't a solution I would recommend to others in a similar situation.

Peter
    K1PGV
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I completely agree... that's why I stated "Modifying your registry in windows is NOT recommended"... 
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Would multiple runs of CCleaner clear this sort of reg problem?  I have good success with that app cleaning up after an uninstall.  Last app I removed took about 4 passes of CCleaner to remove everything.  It was as if removing one thing brought to the surface other defects, not really surprising.

BTW: For Win 10 conversion I had to remove the ports, ran CCleaner several times and installed CAT (admin level) then it worked fine.

Thanks for the help..
    Tim
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @K3TIM:  I don't recommend running any registry "cleaner"... ever. The Registry isn't like a car.  It doesn't get dirty and need to be cleaned regularly.  If there's a *specific* issue you need to fix, you're usually better off getting help from somebody than taking the generic "cleaner" approach.

I know some people swear by some of these Registry cleaner tools.  I'm just not one of them.

Peter
    K1PGV
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Very good and thanks...

Tim
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    David, 

Thank you so much for the tip! I had the same issue. I could not even remove the registry keys....due to permission issue, I had to take ownership of the keys first.

Mario
    KC8P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.