Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX driver error

Tim VE6SH
Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
I was away for almost three weeks. Upon my return and despite the fact the computer was powered off (and I have automatic upgrades turned off)I was greeted with a cheery note that Win10 had done a upgrade. Despite not having issues in the past with WIN 10 upgrades this time it broke both DAX and CAT (and deleted a number of port assignments on DDUtil).

I fixed the CAT issues by repairing FLEX VSP as indicated in the help commentaries. DAX is still an issue and I gat an error that DAX drivers cannot be loaded.

I know there is a fix to reinstall the drivers manually:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers

However, it states "if instructed by the helpdesk" (I opened a ticket but being a long weekend I suspect I will not hear back until next week).

Has anyone else tried this and did it work? Are there any issues with trying this approach?

Tim VE6SH

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Tim of Flex wrote up a complete set of instructions of deleting SmartSDR and reinstalling. It has long since become one of the great all-time best sellers!

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSD...

Jim, K6QE

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Jim. Yes, I am aware of that, but I wondered since I fixed CAT if I could do the same by reinstalling the DAX drivers without having to do a complete uninstall.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Good question! I just shrug my shoulders and resign myself to the perfunctory regular duty of doing the uninstall when Microsoft gets another hair. I was hoping that someday, Flex would come up with an uninstall program to stop this on-going drama. I have, apparently, fallen on deaf ears.

Jim, K6QE

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well I threw caution to the winds and followed the instructions for reinstalling the DAX Drivers. That seems to have fixed the problem (Hopefully!). I need to explore why WIN10 upgraded itself even when the computer was powered down...
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Suspect the update was queued up b4 the power down. ITim
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    If your setup is like mine, the trick with WIndows 10 is to manually check for updates every day, and NEVER let it do a restart without first shutting down CAT and DAX.  Since I implemented that protocol, I've never had a problem with updates.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.