Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX Driver Error after Windows Update

KF9AF
KF9AF Member
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Yesterday, I received notice of a pending Windows 10 Update.  After the infamous Windows 1809? update, I had to roll my machine backwards to make anything work, and am now running:
Windows 10  Version 1709 , OS Build 16299.785
Smart SDR 2.4.9

Everything had been running correctly before this update.  Like any Windows update, I completely removed SmartSDR AND all the drivers, using IObit Uninstaller, before doing any updating.

Following te update, I reinstalled SmartSDR multiple times yet still get the "DAX Driver Error message".

I tried Tim's process for manually uninstalling and reinstalling DAX drivers.  Everything was working correctly until I got to the DAX mic audio, and see errors.  Here is the text that shows in the CMD box:

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>SmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX_install.bat

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>REM Install the MIC Audio DAX driver

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>REM 64 bit version

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>REM ** Must be run with elevated Administrator rights **

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>md "C:UsersMikeAppDataRoamingFlexRadio SystemsInstLogs"
A subdirectory or file C:UsersMikeAppDataRoamingFlexRadio SystemsInstLogs already exists.

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>regedit /s RemoveRegistryEntries.reg

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>regedit /s .MICAUDIO_DAX.reg

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>regedit /s .MICAUDIO_DAXService.reg

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>copy /v /y .SmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX.inf C:WINDOWSinf
        1 file(s) copied.

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAX>.wdreg -inf SmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX.inf -log "C:UsersMikeAppDataRoamingFlexRadio SystemsInstLogsSmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX.txt" install
WDREG utility v10.40. Build Oct 17 2011 12:38:06

Processing HWID FlexRadioSystems_DAX_MICAudio
Installing a signed driver package for FlexRadioSystems_DAX_MICAudio
Error: Failed to install the INF file (C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAXSmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX.inf)
LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallA
LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
LOG ok: 1, Looking for Model Section [DevSection.NTamd64]...
LOG ok: 1, Installing INF file 'C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.4.964-bit DriversMICAudio_DAXSmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX.inf' (Plug and Play).
LOG INFO(1): error 3, Could not open file C:WINDOWSSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositorysmartsdr_micaudio_dax.inf_amd64_97c04506f914c4dbsmartsdr_micaudio_dax.inf.
LOG ERROR(3): error 3ee, PnP Install failed.
LOG ok: 1, Attempting to rollback ...
LOG ok: 1, No devices to rollback
LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x3EE)
LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallA  (0x3EE)
 difx_install_preinstall_inf: err 3ee, last event 3, last error 3ee. UNKNOWN

Hopefully there' enough there to diagnose my problem?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Sonn KF9AF

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mike
    Find me in the #Flexradio IRC Channel, I can get you fixed up fast.
    Either that, or submit a Helpdesk ticket for an "Official Fix.
    It's a simple fix you can probably do it yourself next time, once you been shown how.
    Just use your Community username as your nickname when prompted but first click the link in my post signature to open the IRC client. I'll keep a light on for ya! 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Last 3 updates came and went without any problems. If only someone could determine the variable that causes these problems .
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Mike, Looks to me that something is keeping the DAX installer from accessing the DAX MIC file . Maybe an ANTI-virus program or malware program. You may want to stop these and try the installer again. Jay can certainly help. Check out his IRC channel. Dudley WA5QPZ
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I run yesterday into same problem. I got my PC back from service with a clean and new installed Windows = like a **** :-)

As first(!) i install SSDR and got the same error messages. I was close to bring the f... PC back to my service shop.
    Last try was: i check the user rights and there was the problem. I and admin hast not the full RIGHTS. After i change to ... allow write, read, execute and all others i start install again , and now without any error message.

A hint: if you install SSDR and you have used in the past a Flex control - you must have connected the Flex control. If you forget - you get also a driver error message at install.

Hope that help - if i am wrong: please correct me, i never stop learning :-)

My Flex is now again back on air and i plan to buy a further TRX, a lowband romte station

73 Chris DL5NAM

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mike
    Chris's post above leads me to remember, that we didn't verify your users permissions when we had trouble installing DAX last night. If your still having problems see me again in the IRC Channel. that could easily have been the problem.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• KF9AF
    KF9AF Member
    edited November 2018
    Hi Dudley,

I have no additonal A/V program on this computer.  It is only used for the Flex and some ham internet sites.

Jay certainly left no stone unturned.  We connected via Teamviewer, and talked on the phone while he poked and prodded.  Good thing long distance charges are a thing of the past!

After 1.5hours, we still had a no-go, so I thanked him for his time and I went to have a ****.

Only thing that fixed my problem was rolling back to a previous restore point, about a week before the issue showed up, and prior to the last Windows Update.  Everything is now working properly, with SmartSDR 2.4.9.

Prior to the rollback, the installer would not load the DAX Audio and DAX Reserved audio into the Device Manager's "Audio Inputs and Outputs".  Even attempting both methods of manual install produced no results.

A shout out to those people that are always willing to go above and beyond on this Community.  I've been helped more than once, and it is very much appreciated.

Now, if we could stop Microsoft from making us the guinea pigs for their OS...

Mike KF9AF

• KF9AF
    KF9AF Member
    edited November 2018
    I am the local account Administrator.  Nobody else signs on or into this computer.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Indeed;   The two things doing the most damage to national productivity and G.D.P. are not foreign powers,    they are MickeySoft Updates and  T.W.F. (Time Wasted on FaceBook).

Educated estimates put it at no less than a 25% impact to the overall economy potential.

[ Hey Neal, how do you really feel? :-) ]

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Jay:

After you helped me so well, and also helped so many others, I forgot to ask if you know if anyone has made
    a YouTube video showing the process and explaining what to check?    If not, we should consider that.
    If it happens to me again, I may even start investigating/learning how to make one...

[Of course, to make the video useful, I would need to learn how to "force" the problem, so that
    the video would show the mangled audio device names before & after fixing.]

Neal
  • KF9AF
    KF9AF Member
    edited November 2018
    Second attempt, I now have 1809 installed and SmartSDR 2.4.9 is working fine...  Thanks again for your help Jay.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Mike
    I've considered a video, but I gave up on writing a narration script, describing the fix is tougher than just doing it.

But I'm willing to work on a video project with some help.

I do worry that Microsoft might fix the problem before I finish the video though.

I just found a video that might be the fix for your failed windows update/upgrade we tried to force today.

Maybe!  

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It might be easier to script it. One batch or PowerShell script that does it all.  

Andy
    KU7T
  • Reinaldo
    Reinaldo Member
    edited November 2018
    To compound the problems, W10 home doesn’t allow you to stop the updates to uninstall the smart sdr
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I haven't been able to find that variable. Some affect my computer, some don't - and yet the same update does on theirs. 

My last one was a doozy - the Update renamed all of my DAX Drivers to the same name with a number preceding the driver. Everything was called ## Dax IQ . 

I tried the manual renaming process, but no luck.  I submitted a helpdesk ticket, and a Teamviewer session with Tim fixed it right up. 

I keep thinking this can't be completely random. I do have a lot of programs installed, experiment with a lot of modes, and that could be related to why I started out with no problems, but have increased in post update screwups in the last year or so, as I try out more programs. 

Dunno - but frustrating, and I know the W10 problems have cost Flex some sales recently.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.