Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX doesn't work with PTT v1.6

Barry N1EU
Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
(I just wanted to pull this issue out of another thread so it can potentially get the attention of Flex engineering as a potential bug in v1.6 and hopefully fixed quickly if it is a bug)

In SSB mode, DAX via DAX Audio TX stream doesn't get transmitted if transmit is initiated by PTT (front or back panel connection) but does get transmitted if transmit is initiated by MOX.  

73, Barry N1EU

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't think I saw the other post to which you refer.
    Which way are you anticipating that it should work?
    PTT override the DAX input?
    or PTT allow DAX input?
    Or is the issue that the MOX button should be consistent with the PTT?
    I am not clear.

Ken - NM9P
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DAX is selected (blue).  PTT enables transmit.  DAX Audio TX stream is transmitted.  (that's what is expected but doesn't happen)

(I hope that is understandable - other thread is https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/mic-ptt-not-working-when-dax-enabled)

73, Barry N1EU
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Barry,

I believe this is by design.  In the case where audio is presented by DAX it was assumed it would be from a voice keyer and that the logging program would assert PTT via software (which is effectively what you are doing by clicking on MOX).

I think its also the case that when the audio is presented via DAX, the mic is effectively muted as an audio source but I haven't checked this in a long time.

Stu K6TU
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The mic being muted is fine - if you want to do ssb DAX, that's the only audio source you want.

I think a lot of guys are going to want to do DAX via manual PTT to get tx audio out of their computer in a non-voicekey situation.  This should not be a far-fetched use case IMHO.  Is there any downside to allowing this to work?  If someone has DAX selected and hits the PTT switch, why not transmit the DAX audio tx stream?

73, Barry N1EU
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It should be a simple option that you can select from the radio setup "Phone" tab.

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ken NM9P explained that it works this way by design so a contest voicekeyer can key the rig in DAX via MOX and the user can still talk in MIC via PTT.

SmartSDR is missing the feature that PowerSDR has.  In PowerSDR, it is a checkbox "Allow PTT to override/bypass VAC for Phone".  In SmartSDR, it would be a checkbox "Allow PTT to override/bypass DAX for Phone".  Currently that invisible checkbox is checked all the time and I'm sure many of us would like to uncheck it.

This obviously now becomes a SmartSDR feature request to add that checkbox to the rig setup screen.

The lack of this feature impacts a lot of phone ops interested in audio.

73, Barry N1EU.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @Barry, You can do that now, if you select PC as the mike input and link it to the active audio source via the windows audio.  Not as clean as selecting a DAX Channel directly, but it works.

But I would like to see an available option selection.  
    That would satisfy the Contester/voice keyer crowd, and the others who wish to use DAX input with their footswitch - i.e. using external audio processors, playing lengthy recorded audio files, etc.  

Perhaps this DAX/PTT function option selection could be linked at part of the MIC Profile?  That would be handy!

Ken - NM9P
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    thanks for the work-around Ken!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Perhaps there could also be an option to allow "MIKE VOX active when DAX button activated?" 

This may or may not be technically possible, due to internal audio chain routing.  But if it is, then it would be nice to be able to use VOX in a contest while also using my logger's voice keyer.

Ken - NM9P
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The main downside to passing audio using the "PC" input is the fairly high audio latency. One way to get lower latency is to use an audio interface with a true ASIO driver.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.