Dax Delay & Voice Keyer - Flex 6600M

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • (Edited)
Has anyone experienced a delay while using DAX in VOX mode and/or while using a voice keyer? Using N1MM+, the delay between playing a .WAV file after pushing F1 is sometimes too long for fast paced contesting. The same delay sometimes occurs while using VOX, manifesting as extra long hang time before unkeying at the end of a transmission. Any VOX delay disappears when I quit DAX. I know my network is causing this problem, but I'm not sure how to solve it.

Is there any way to resolve this issue?

73, Mitch, K7RL

Photo of Mitch

Mitch

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 334 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
You dont need to use VOX.  Just pipe in your computer audio via the DAX input to the radio.  Make sure the VOX is turned off.   Use a foot switch for controlling PTT and MIC.  If you need to use VOX make sure the VOX delay is set to zero delay.    
Photo of Mitch

Mitch

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your reply Joe. My biggest problem is the unpredictable delay when pressing F1 to play a .WAV file. I know it has to do with my network traffic, speeding up and slowing down, impacting DAX performance. 

I suppose what I'm really asking is if there is another way to play .WAV files that doesn't involve DAX? 

Mitch
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4203 Posts
  • 1338 Reply Likes
I suppose you could use a mixer and mix your Mic with sound card audio from your computer, but that would lead to a hot mic during voice Keyer audio.

You mentioned your network... how are you connected? Are you running remotely?

Are you using serial port PTT or just VOX?

How do you have audio set up in N1MM+?
Photo of Mitch

Mitch

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Ken. Not running remotely and using just VOX. N1MM+ audio uses DAX Audio TX under Playback. That part works fine.

Mixing the mic with sound card audio is a good idea. That said, I made some changes to my network that have increased its speed. That should solve the delay issue.

I originally posed the question to see if anyone else was dealing with DAX delay issues, and possible workarounds. 

Thanks again for your help! 
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4203 Posts
  • 1338 Reply Likes
Ok. I have used N1MM+ with my 6500 via DAX and had no problems. PTT was via CAT control

Is your rig connected to your computer via direct connection, through a router via Ethernet, or via WiFi?
I am curious about your network, and what changes you have made to it.
Photo of Mitch

Mitch

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Rig is connected through a router via Ethernet. I ditched the cable company supplied router and upgraded to a professional router. Big difference in speed.

Is there a way to make a direct connection from the rig to the computer without using Ethernet?