Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX Audio TX gain settings not saved on Profiles is a problem

N4AB
N4AB Member ✭✭
edited August 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I like the idea of only one DAX TX channel however using digital programs (WSJT-X, MMTTY, etc.) that don't have the same TX output level need a separate DAX audio gain level setting to get the maximum drive to my radio (6700). This leads to having to reset the DAX TX slider when a different digital program is started, The eight DAX TX channels could have been left alone because you still have to select the DAX TX channel. The Auto Switch TX function would have worked on the Eight channel setup. Just my two cents worth. Love My Flex. Al N4AB

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Al, I leave DAX audio TX gain at 58, which is my setting for DM780, and
    control audio tx for WSJT-X with it's Pwr slider. This works for all programs,
    even exotic ones like ROS or SIMPSK.
    Alex DH2ID
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Wspr wsjt and others have their own level adj so I can trim them down as needed
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    AL,
      For programs that do not have their own TX level control, I find that I can use the Windows Volumn Mixer for DAX Audio TX . 

Or you can set all the TX levels from there... You should note that the control for most app does not show up in the panel until thjey have been in transmit and that rebooting the PC will removed them until they are in TX again.. but the level is reatined.  (Win10-64)

AL, K0VM
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This is classified as technically not a problem because the DAX gain levels are not part of the radio profile.  DAX is a "client side" application, meaning that the settings for it are stored on the client PC.  Profiles are radio settings that are stored in the radio.  So rather than this being a problem, it is really a software feature enhancement (Idea) post.
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    OK sorry Tim I should have said that it was a problem for me. Is there write up on how DAX works? For example does 1 DAX actually take the digital data from the radio (1s and 0s) 2 Or does it use a ADC on the audio output to send the data directly into the digital program 3 Or does it use a ADC on the audio output send the data and use a DAC to feed the data to a program. Conversely how does it handle data on transmit . I have been searching the internet for a description of its operation but have not found anything. The reason I ask is because the input slider on WSJT-X does not seem to make any difference to the output data no matter where it is set, MIN to MAX or anywhere it is set in between. It seems to be a straight digital (1s and 0s) input stream. 73 Al N4AB
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    DAX is a type of audio protocol formatter.  On receive DAX takes binary audio data streams from the radio (UDP over a network connection) and formats or "presents"  them as a Windows sound device interfaces (aka "sound cards").  These are the DAX channels.  For transmit, binary audio data from a third-party application is sent to a Windows sound card (DAX) interface.  Then is is formatted as a UDP data stream and sent to the radio.  SmartSDR in the radio is responsible for making sure the correct audio stream is associated with the correct slice receiver or panadapter in the case of DAXIQ.

In the radio, the data (audio) is always digital until we convert it to analog to send it out one of the analog outputs on the radio hardware.  We do not do multiple A to D to A conversions of the audio as this degrades the audio quality.

WSJT-X is one of those programs that has a lot of quirky behavior in how it handles audio and serial port control (CAT).  I am not sure why it's audio gain controls are not working as they should.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.