Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX and CAT with the 6600M

Barry Simpson
Barry Simpson Member
edited November 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am looking at upgrading to a new 6600M. The brochure information indicates that CAT for logging on my normal PC will be implemented through DAX. I am not sure what this means.

Will the 6600M be connected to the PC through one of he two USB ports (and use the other one for band change information for amplifiers etc) or does it mean that you still have to have an ethernet connection from the 6600M to your home network so that the connection to the PC is wireless.

I would much prefer a USB connection as I have experienced frequent CAT logging drop outs from the ethernet connection with my 6500.

Barry Simpson  VK2BJ

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hi Barry All connectivity remains the same as for other Flex-6000 models, including the existing models. Only added item is the HDMI on the M-models and the number/style of RF and Microphone connections. You can read the existing model manuals for what does what. There is also a great manual on use of the on-Radio USB as implemented for shack use. The brochure DAX/CAT statement is confusing. I interpreted the statement to reflect the need to record your QSOs in major contests. The existing software suite makes it an easy task eliminating the bundle of cables, outboard and PC kit otherwise used. The software puts it right to your Logger for recording (and voice keying the other direction). 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    The brochure information indicates that CAT for logging on my normal PC will be implemented through DAX. I am not sure what this means.

DAX is for the exchange of audio data between the radio and a third-party application that uses a Windows sound card interface.  

CAT is for interfacing the radio to third-party applications usually over an RS-232 serial connection that requires elementary radio control functions using a CAT protocol.

Will the 6600M be connected to the PC through one of t
    he two USB ports (and use the other one for band change information for amplifiers etc) or does it mean that you still have to have an ethernet connection from the 6600M to your home network so that the connection to the PC is wireless.

All FLEX-6000s interface with external control surfaces (SmartSDR for Windows, Maestro, SmartSDR for iOS, DogparkSDR, etc...) via a TCP/IP network connection, not a USB connection

If you are experiencing dropouts, then I'd suspect a network issue, particularly if the path between the radio and CAT involves a wireless link of some sort.
  • Barry Simpson
    Barry Simpson Member
    edited November 2018
    Tim
    Thanks for the input. I am guessing that means that I can connect an ethernet cable direct from the 6600M to my laptop to enable usage of the CAT and DAX facilities. Please let me know if that is correct.

Thanks and 73

Barry  VK2BJ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Yes, that should work.
  • Barry Simpson
    Barry Simpson Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Tim

That solves my question.  Barry  VK2BJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.