Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX Alternative for Mac -- This could be it.

Andrew Holman2
Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
So a few weeks ago I contacted a company called Rogue Amoeba who does a lot of Audio stuff for mac. I asked them about a DAX like mac alternative. They told me about a product called Loopback they were coming out with. I just got an email that it is out.

http://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2016/01/11/now-arriving-loopback/

I do not work for them but it would be interesting to try out and see if it works. 

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    $75?!  Holy ****!
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Well we spend a lot on our radios and macs.  But it seems to do the exact same thing from the literature.  Gonna try it tonight when I get off work.  I mean, DogPark SDR is $95 and is still missing some of the nice usability pieces of  SmartSDR.  To be able to route to and from, record audio from the Flex (and keep it), it might be worth it as well.

The only thing it probably wont due is audio per slice, since its not "Flex" specific. 
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I own their Airfoil product (unrelated to ham radio) which works well.  Can't speak for their other products though.
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I use their Nicecast app and have used Audio Hijack before which were both solid.
  • Andy F5VAI
    Andy F5VAI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For anyone looking for a Windows version, I can certainly recommend VoiceMeeter http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/banana.htm  It is free to try and if you like it you can donate something to the author. 

• Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Except for Windows users they have DAX as well. Mac users don't which is why this was created. 
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I use Sound Siphon with my Mac and run fldig quite well with it as well as other digi modes with DPSDR.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Sound Siphon works quite well. Test drove Loopback -- it's better! Both are quite useful, with Loopback being a little more configurable for multiple devices/apps. Nice find!!

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Updating this thread to point to another recent solution:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexr... Latest versions are in the link comments... Quoting: Mario - DL3LSM 27 Posts 7 Reply Likes Hi there, thanks for the positive feedback I have received so far. To avoid misunderstandings and not give the impression that the apps I've created are somehow "official" I decided to rename both applications. The new names are xCAT and xDAX. Here are the links to the .dmg archives (the old links are not working anymore): xCAT https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0d... xDAX https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0d... It would be nice if you could use and refer to these applications instead of the old ones. Functionality is not different as there were no problems communicated so far and no enhancements needed. Thanks and 73 Mario, DL3LSM
  • K0GGC
    K0GGC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    John - WA7UAR

I haven't tried these Dax solutions on my Mac yet, but I was wondering if you knew if the following setup is possible.

SmartSDR running in parallels on the mac for radio control.
    Mac Dax audio solution to intercept dax channels and redirect to fldigi and MacLoggerDX running natively on the Mac. 

What confuses me a bit is how the Mac Dax solution intercepts audio from SmartSDR running on Parallels. Or does SmartSDR just setup the Dax transmission and receive channels and then Mac Dax gets them direct from the FlexRadio ethernet feed. 

I would like to run fldigi and MacLogger natively on the Mac because I like those apps a lot and MacLogger only runs on a Mac.

Personally, I don't like Dogpark SDR at all. I just think the interface is clumsy, awkward to use, and I don't like the look. I know there are many who love it but I am not one of them. I just can't get used to the interface and I keep splitting my audio when I mean to just adjust the VFO. Plus I have been unable to get it to run properly on my MacPro, for some reason it seems to have a conflict.
  • Mario_DL3LSM
    Mario_DL3LSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi,

it is possible to use it the way you describe.. xDAX does not intercept any audio but connects to the radio directly via TCP/IP and creates the DAX channels for receive and transmit this way. I use it either with SmartSDR for Windows running on Parallels (I shut down SmartDAX but it works even with SmartDAX still running) or SmartSDR for iOS. One thing is different that you have to use a virtual audio cable solution on the Mac (I use Loopback, but maybe Soundflower is still working on the later macOS versions). And you need a way to key the radio if you want to transmit. For this you can use xCAT or MacLoggerDX..

I have created a simple "blog" to host the applications:

https://dl3lsm.blogspot.de

There you can also have a look at the PDF documents to learn about the apps..

Thanks and 73
    Mario, DL3LSM
  • K0GGC
    K0GGC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for the info Mario. I'll see if I can get it setup properly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.