Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX 2.0.17 1000 Hz Steady Tone

Roger Thompson AD5T
Roger Thompson AD5T Member ✭✭
edited August 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
After several days of VNC remote FT8 operation, today I had a 1000 Hz tone, apparently sourced from DAX, that was evident on both wsjt-x and when I opened Winwarbler as a test.  There was no other receive data.  Cold reboot of my 6700 seemed to clear the problem.

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    A few questions.

1/) What version of SmartSDR are you using?

2.) If 2.0.17, did you cold boot the radio after upgrading to SmartSDR?

3.) Did you take a screen capture of the tone so we can look at it?
  • Roger Thompson AD5T
    Roger Thompson AD5T Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Using SmartSDR/DAX 2.0.17 and yes on the cold boot.  I did a complete removal of Flex software before installing 2.0, and I also remove DC from the 6700 when it is idle.  I don't have a screen capture and have yet to successfully do one while using TightVNC to remotely access the PC where the 6700 is connected.  This tone was visible only on the server PC wsjt-x FT8 display and no other FT8 signals were displayed on wsjt-x from busy bands and no tone was visible on SmartSDR on quiet bands or any band as I recall.  The tone disappeared when DAX was deselected or shut down. It persisted through several restarts of both DAX, SmartSDR and wsjt-x and only disappeared when the 6700 was power cycled.  I saw no evidence the tone was any sort of RF signal and it mostly seemed to be generated by the Flex/DAX software and delivered pretty much normally to both wsjt-x and to Winwarbler, but without any simultaneous delivery of real signals.  Last, the signal looked very much like a strong FT8 signal on the wsjt-x display centered on 1000 Hz, not a clean cw like signal. I believe these observations are correct, but I didn't do any exhaustive analysis or keep notes.  So, remote operation, beta wsjt-x software, weak problem reporting on my part, new SmartSDR version, and only one instance so far.  Why would this be difficult to analyze?  I intended this report mostly to be a placeholder in case anyone else had the same issue. Thanks.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the additional feedback.  It really helps me characterize the behavior and determine if it is an existing issue we are aware of or a different behavior we need to be concerned about.  If it happens again. a screen capture of the tone would be nice.. I'd prefer you open a HelpDesk ticket to share the capture.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.