Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Data trace display averaging

Ned K1NJ
Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is averaging on the list for V 1.0 ? Ned, K1NJ

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There is a current feature for slowing down the frame rate that will make the display less "jumpy", but actual FFT display averaging is not slated for SmartSDR v1.0
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would imagine this would be implemented after or about the same time as waterfall, pan-fall, etc? (important, but B-list priority, after other crucial performance enhancements?)
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sorry to hear that this is not going to make 1.0. The jumpy/spastic display looks terrible in my opinion, and this is what the brand new owner is going to look at all day. Not only that, it's what the brand new owner's friends are going to look at all day. Lowering the FPS is a solution, albeit a poor one -- it makes it look like you have a computer that can't handle the load and are getting bad frame rates as a result. To me, the nicest display ever is the 5000 with AVG on and the FPS set to 30. Beautiful, liquid traces that are just sexy. The current display is like staring into a 8kv arc, but without the ozone.
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I've not spent much time with the PowerSDR/Flex 5K display, but the FFT averaging as used in SpectraVue software with the SDR-IQ is superb. True peaks are shown and the decay is very fluid. I note that as averaging is increased in SSDR (V. 1.0.24), peak values are compromised. Just an observation... Paul, W9AC
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Paul, This is a interesting idea. You should create a new Idea topic so others can comment on it.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    Paul, I just tried doing a 4x attack and a 1x decay so that the peaks will be more pronounced and show quicker. The result is interesting -- it looks like the spectrum is on a treadmill and falls behind and then catches up periodically. It's a little distracting to me, but it does accentuate the peaks. I'm not sure I'm going to leave this in the code though...
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Paul, if you want to drop me an email (steve -at- flexradio dot com), I'll shoot you the video.
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited November 2016
    Thanks, Steve. Much appreciated and I look forward to eyeing the video. When you have a moment, you want want to take a quick look at Spectravue for its peak response and fluid motion attributes. As a reference, my values are: FFT Ave = 8 Smoothing = 0 FFT/Blk = 4096 Paul, W9AC
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Paul liked what I sent in the video. We're going to try this change for v1.1 and see how folks like it.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited December 2017
    I agree, I use AVG for cw and digital. (don't do much SSB) find the display easy on the eyes, and very easy to precisely select the proper place to transmit. After long hours of contesting, I find it EZ less tiring then that frenetic display you get when you first start the 6.5K. First thing I do when starting SSDR is go to 'Display' and move the FPS way lower. But then what do I know?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve, Any chance the 2 averaging algorithms could be options? That would make it easier to compare them. (not sure how we could do it otherwise). Also if there are differing opinions on what is best, a user could pick their favorite. BTW, the current averaging is nice and better than I'm used to. So if the new algorithms is even better that would be great. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited November 2016
    Al, Ask Steve for a link to a video demo. With that you can immediately see the difference. The new algorithm responds to signal peaks but retains the fluid decay of averaging. This has the benefit of seeing true signal peaks that are otherwise reduced through averaging. Paul, W9AC
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve & Paul, I would like to see it.....and maybe we can upload it for others to see. I have a YouTube channel where I have posted a few other Flex videos. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I would love to see it, too, if possible.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.