Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Data Usage high?

Steve Belcak
Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
I recently found Win10 has the capability to provide a network data usage overview by application.
I was surprised to see DAX.exe had used 105GB over the last 30 days. SmartSDR used 14GB and Cat.exe used 740MB.

I'm not suggesting anything is wrong but I'd be curious to see if others have the same experience and usage. DAX.exe was the one that surprised me the most.

The only digi mode I've been using recently has been WSPR, all other operating CW and SSB.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Sounds intuitively right. I have two panadapters open and just one DAX channel going right now. DAX is clocking along at 3.2 Mbps vs. 0.8 Mpbs for SSDR, at least per Windows' reporting. That uncompressed high quality audio does take a lot of bandwidth. Another reason not to use DAX to send audio via a wireless network path!
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Also if you happen to use DAX IQ it will exponentially raise your bandwidth usage.  DAX IQ channels, used to produce, for instance CW skimmer even  for short periods of time  will use a great deal of bandwidth.
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I've seen issues with DAX using significant bandwidth, even if not connected to SSDR.  Did it on my Win 7 desktop but not my Win 7 laptop.  Then the desktop issue disappeared in the last update.  Not sure what is going on but I'm glad it stopped.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited May 2016
    When I leave the shack computer running with, say, 2 instances of WSJT-X, and 2 instances of skimmer running, it's just amazing how much bandwith gets consumed. Two IQ and two DAX channels really start to churn the bandwith-o-meter. When set up like this, it's not uncommon for me to check activity monitor to see 20-22 mbps worth of traffic from the 6300 to my computer. 
  • Douglas Fillingham
    edited May 2016
    How do you access network usage in W 10?
    Doug g4ovr
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    type "data usage overview" in the lower left search box.....you'll see the selection or go to settings in "Network_Internet" it will be there

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.