Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

D-Star Transmit Issue

Ben Sinclair
Ben Sinclair Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm using a Flex 6300 and a newly constructed Elecraft XV144 transverter, and am trying to connect to the local D-Star repeater, but am not having any luck.

I can receive just fine, so I assume the dongle is working properly. When I transmit, I don't seem to be getting out on the repeater, and when the repeater replies with its data, the "called" field is blank.

I've attached a screenshot of the DSTAR Waveform window. The first item is the response from the repeater after my transmission.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    1. Do you have a portable D-Star TRX or an OM with D-Star near you?
        What does it show if   you contact it or him directly?

2. What does http://www.dstarusers.org/viewrepeater.php?system=KD0IAN show?

Your repeater does not show your callsign. Are you sure you transmitted on the correct frequency and with the correct settings?

73, Alex DH2ID
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    The following link walks you through registering your call sign with DSTAR. http://www.dstargateway.org/D-Star_Registration.html
  • Ben Sinclair
    Ben Sinclair Member
    edited February 2018
    I am registered, and have been on D-Star many times before with my 51 and 7100, but I no longer have them to test with.

If I wasn't on the correct frequency, I wouldn't think it would respond at all. I did listen on the input frequency using another non-D-Star radio, and I can hear myself (the data stream anyway).

I have a buddy that can help listen and see what he gets, so I'll try that next!

• Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I am connected to KD0IAN C with a DV Dongle if you want to try again. 
  • Ben Sinclair
    Ben Sinclair Member
    edited December 2015
    I'll try again right now!
  • Ben Sinclair
    Ben Sinclair Member
    edited December 2015
    I just called again, and I saw the repeater come back with the blank "called" field. Did you see anything?

C is connected to the reflector, so I waited until those guys were done talking first!
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    No I dd not see your call sign appear.
  • Ben Sinclair
    Ben Sinclair Member
    edited December 2015
    Well, I'll give it a try on simplex with a friend and see what we get. Thanks for looking for me on there!
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I had to set my Tx eq to OFF for my repeater to recognize me
  • Ben Sinclair
    Ben Sinclair Member
    edited December 2015
    Wow, that did it! Thanks!
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, that was an easy solution that I totally missed ;-)
    I have a D-Star profile without equalizer. 73 es HNY!
  • Ron Parsons
    Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I am having the same problem. My system is a Flex-6500 with a DEMI 2m transverter. When I press PTT, my system transmits on the repeater input frequency, but the repeater does not send any output until I stop transmitting, and then the repeater transmits a short burst with the called field filled with *******.

My guess is that the transverter has a short delay in producing output and the first few bytes of the packet might be dropped.

I turned off TX EQ but no luck.

Ron W5RKN
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited June 2020
    The radio or dongle, or software, whatever is TRUNCATING the beginning of the transmission, in other words, your ID string at the beginning of transmit is being generated, but the radio is late in transmitting, so that portion ends up not sent.   The repeater rejects it because there is no ID.  Hence the ************  AN aggravating problem that I would love to see resolved.  Maybe flex can fix this top where there is a short 1/2 second delay buffer to ensure all is transmitted?????
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    I have entered this problem report into our bug tracker as issue #4613 for additional investigation. Thank you for the defect report.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Tim,

FYI,  I reported this problem 3 months ago...  it was assigned bug tracker issue #4400.  Here is link to my thread regarding this:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/hf-dstar-with-ssdr-beta-v1-10-8-issue

This all is related and I'm eagerly awaiting disposition. 

Best regards,

Cal/N3CAL

• Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    I have linked the two reports in the bug tracker.
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited January 2018
    Hi, It's been almost a year.  Is this EVER going to be fixed?  All it would take is a small change in the D-star waveform to delay sending for a half second or so (possibly even less) after exciting the transmit.   It's obviously chopping it off before it gets out.  Otherwise, I merely wasted money on the dongle I purchased from you,.
    Thanks!

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited February 2018
    And not even a response.  It's a simple fix!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What is the exact fix? and how is it done?
  • DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Would be nice to have current status as here as I plan to use DSTAR with my 6600. Already bought the dongle for it.

Volker
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

When in D-Star mode, make sure your low cutoff on the transmit bandwidth is set to 0.  The first 100 Hz is where the data stream is for your call.

Chuck, W9WLX

• Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
     We are aware of all the D-Star issues and the defect is in a scheduled milestone to be addressed.
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited May 2018
    Bill -VA3WTB, the fix is that a small delay /buffer needs to be added in. the initial bits are being truncated.  A minor delay buffer would fix this easily.

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited July 2018
    crickets......
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ok let’s have FRS fix it then along with the NB and ANF. My daily push to top
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    W2PP, Thanks for your persistence, I am also waiting for "The Fix"...73's
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Waiting still waiting and waiting
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    and as promised I'll keep this thread up top until NB, ANF and D Star are dealt with.  Perhaps I need to also post on other boards?  Feel free to join me.
    Peter

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Unless others participate in this thread on a regular basis, FRS will conclude that only one person is really impacted by the poor ANF, NB and D Star failures.  They will then ignore this issue for others.

Would you blame them?  If no one cares but one guy why on earth would you address these issues?

I sincerely hope others will join in raising awareness of these three issues.

Peter

• Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I too and waiting on this fix.  Have had the dongle for years and waiting like everyone else for years.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.