Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CWX Sidetone sync with Maestro and Speakers on Radio

Duane_AC5AA
Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Maestro
After using SSDR for a few years and recently switching to a Maestro, I've found one irritation that I can't seem to solve.  I mentioned this to Steve Hicks at HamCom and he wrote it down to bring back for work.  I thought I'd add it here for tracking/view.  When I run CWX from the Maestro, the sidetone is only able to be routed to the Maestro speaker.  I have both my paddles and my speakers plugged into the radio, and want the sidetone to come out of the normal audio chain, not the Maestro.  Yes, if I'm using the Maestro remotely, then sidetone should come from the Maestro.  But otherwise, it's a weird combination.  The user should have the ability to have sidetone either place.  I don't know about having it both - someone else will need to comment on the validity of that.  Running relatively high speed QSK CW and having the sidetone bounce back and forth is very distracting.  

Comments

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    This is far more complex than it seems in the surface Duane.  The sidetone emanating from the  Maestro is locally generated.  The latency in the link between a Maesto and the Transceiver (or server if you will) can vary to a great degree, for instance if you are using a smart link connection over the internet, or even variations in network latency.  this posed a problem to the trained ear when using the sidetone generated on the transceiver end.  This becomes even more problematic when using a key to send cw where timing is everything.  Even 3rd party systems such as remote rig rely on locally generated sidetone for precision operation.  I know that the flex programming team is aware of several varying sidetone issues with cw operation this being one of them. Lets see what magic they can come up with..
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for the response, Chris.  Yes, I completely understand the remote rig issues, but in my case, and for others who use Maestro for a "front panel," it seems a more seamless solution is needed.  I'm willing to wait and see what comes of the request.  
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Can an option be added to allow the Maestro-generated CW to key the rig's sidetone as opposed to the Maestro front speaker?  For those of us who use the Maestro mainly as a front panel, this would be a good addition. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.