Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW via SDR CAT

Tom
Tom Member ✭✭
Dear all,

is it possible in 1.1 (or corresponding updated SmartSDR CAT) to CW key the rig via SmartSDR CAT without any additional external hardware or rare ACC cables?
I'm not referring necessarily to WinKey but also simple plain vanilla CW keying.

Now I'm using MicroHam MK II for WinKey but not very practical as I move my rig on different locations without special equipment at hand.

I understand design differences between traditional SDRs and Flex 6000 series but in my opinion it should be basic functionality that I didn't manage to make it work so far but still cannot believe it doesn't exist.

In some situations I would like to be up and running just by connecting my power supply, Ethernet cable to my laptop and antenna.

If such functionality is not supported, is something planned and where would it be on the road map?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom, 9A6TKS

Answers

• Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Tom, you can use programs such as FLDigi to send CW with no cables etc, all done using SmartSDR CAT which provides the virtual comports necessary for the functions you want.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Brian, I have never tried Fldigi for CW, many thanks for the tip, I will definitely try.

How about N1MM or HRD? Anyone knows?

Thanks,

Tom, 9A6TKS 
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    edited December 2018
    Tom, it takes a little time to set it up but if you look on this Reflector, you will find that it is clearly spelled out as to what steps you take. There is a good video referred to, which shows how to set up the receive side, and a good discussion group which tells you how to set it up for Tx.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

FLDigi sends CW via audio on the DAX port, unless you have it keying via an external COM port, as far as I can tell.  This bypasses the fine CW software in the FLEX 6000 series.  It will send CW direct keyed via the 1500/3000/5000 in PowerSDR.

Or am I missing something very important?

I, too, am longing for a line in CAT that keys the CW line in the same way as the PTT line is keyed on a virtual COM port.

Ken - NM9P

• Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Ok Brian,

haven't found anything useful what you were referring to.

Only AFSK solutions (probably Fldigi is one of these) or other implementations asking for ACC or additional hardware interfaces.
    No CW via serial port through Smart CAT.

Maybe I'm just little bit tired. Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks anyway,

Tom, 9A6TKS
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Ken,

Yes, I have exactly the same impression.

For AFSK via DAX I am aware of but nothing else using CW engine of Flex and no additional hardware or cables in the same time.

Maybe we should try good old M(odulated)CW on AM using DAX :)

With the very best regards from Croatia and good night folks,

Tom, 9A6TKS
  • iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Same opinion CW from CAT it's very important!
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
       Yes, this would allow keying from 3rd party programs, like loggers.  It was brought up a few
    months ago, but I've lost track of where it was.  This would be a very welcome addition to
    SmartCat,
    Ned,  K1NJ
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    edited June 2020
    I focussed on the desire to use CW via the computer, rather than direct keying of the rig. I agree with Ken NM9P that the CW software in the radio (6500) is fine. I use my bug for transmit, connected direct to the Flex. When using my Wi Fi, I use FL Digi and keyboard to generate CW, so I get the best of both worlds. I did not mean to suggest that you can direct key CW via FL Digi. We Aussies sometimes don't understand American (or that is my excuse).
    Brian VK7RR/4

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No worries, mate!
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016

Ken you are correct. The only drawback with using Fldigi for CW is the inability to send CW with the hand key. Fldigi will send the TEXT configured In each macro as CW. When using Fldigi for sending CW we do not have the use hand (Paddle) key capability when keying the FLEX via the DAX line.

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I sure wish CWX was working or moved up in the to april
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

In (attempting) to set up N1MM with SmartSDR Cat, a COM port may be specified with CW on DTR.  It can be set but doesn't work.  Should it or is an external keyer still required?
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Feb 8, 2013
    This is a quote of an entry by Bob T.  six months ago on this subject:

[6 months ago

BobT, Elmer
    A little background ...

Third-party programs use the Kenwood KY or Flex ZZKY commands to send an ASCII string like "CQ DE K5KDN" to CAT. In PowerSDR, CAT sent that string to a software CW generator module (inside of PowerSDR) that converted it to Morse and keyed the transmitter using an audio tone.

It is a different story in the 6000 series. CW keying is in the radio hardware not in SmartSDR (real on-off keying :>). There is currently no code generator in the radio to convert a string to Morse characters.

The ability to send externally composed canned messages is a planned feature of high importance.

Once the CW generator is in place, the necessary CAT code to pass the CW strings on to the radio can be added.

BobT ]

This may help explain the difficulty.
    Ned,  K1NJ

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ok, i'm not sure about what has already been writen, but here goes. I set up a Cat pair for PTT and told my contest logging program to use one side of this pair for CW messages. When Writelog sends the CW message, the PTT actually puts the 6500 into the transmit mode (MOX button turns blue), but the transmitter does not put out a CW signal. i can literally read the intended CW characters by watching the MOX button. I assume the previous posts confirm what I am describing....PTT is working but no CW is being generated. So no joy for using WriteLog CW messages in the ARRL DX CW contest this coming weekend?
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

If I follow the current and 6 month old streams:

Specifying CW on a CAT port as DTR does not direct key the 6000, and will not work until CW/Keyboard which is a ways down the roadmap.

Direct keying of digital modes does not work through SSDR CAT.

Will installing fldigi solve any/all problems interfacing N1MM logger to the 6000?

Love the radio but automation for contesting is a bear in any mode.

p.s. It would be nice to be able to update a CAT port definition without delete/add.  Change doesn't work either.

• W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018

Stan:

I have been successful in running Predefined CW Text from Fldigi Macro buttons. Also, have been using the keyboard to send CW text using CW modes in Fldigi. After you have setup Fldigi to run the DAX for Digital or RTTY, you will be able to run CW with the Fldigi program configured to run CW. I have used  the FLEX set to USB or DigU with success. Centering the received CW signal on the Fldigi Waterfall,  the sending CW characters and call letters can be displayed on Fldigi.  By selecting the sending CW Call, you a can work all Fldigi Macros with these call signs.

To use the keyboard for sending CW text. you need one Fldigi Macro configured as TX and another Macro configured for RX. The keyboard typing will be inserted between selecting TX  macro then Type on keyboard and then  selecting RX to resume receiving.

The key is tuning and centering the received CW signal on Fldigi Waterfall..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.