Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Skimmer Question

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Does anyone know the update policy for CW Skimmer?  I couldn't find definitive information on the website.  I am planning on getting it, but have heard that there may be an update designed specifically to interface more effectively with the Flex-6000 series.  

If I get it now, and the update comes out soon, does the author allow updates, or will I need to purchase it again?  Software policies vary from vendor to vendor.  Any experts out there.

Answers

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Is there any proof that Afree intends to upgrade CW Skimmer for the Flex 6000 series.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Ken - We are working on a development project that allows the FLEX-6000 to stream wide band IQ data to 4 instances of CWSkimmer with Slice control in each one of the 4 panadapters.  So you click on the Skimmer waterfall and the slice tunes to that frequency.  There is also an interface to the CWSkimmer server too.  

Both of these software products are just out of the "proof of concept" stage of development and an alpha version is in the works.  I don't have a time frame on when it will be released, but it should be in the next 4-6 weeks baring any unforeseen delays.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Tim.  That is the concept I was remembering.  It sounds really great!

My question now becomes.... Should I wait until that release, or if I buy now, will I be able to upgrade to it without a large charge?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    The version of CWSkimmer now available has all of the changes needed for the Skimmer "bridge" software to the FLEX-6000 to work properly, so I think it is a safe bet to get it now or you can wait.  It is hard to predict what might shake out in alpha testing.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I downloaded it this afternoon and Dudley helped me get it running after the Flex Net.  Neat!  It just added more value to my 6500!  

I figure I will play with it for the trial period and then hope the new stuff will be out about then.  Once they get the frequency changing interface to work right it is going to be really neat!
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Good news indeed Tim
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited March 2017
    Skimmer upgrade was just announced.
    I use CWS with my 5K, am a paid user.
    Alex just release a teeny upgrade to V1.83.
    Also OmniRig has a small upgrade too.

I downloaded it, but have not tried it on the 6.5K.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill,
    Are there release notes to see what has changed?  Can you get to them prior to running the setup/update?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I didn't see any. But I was in a hurry. Other problems to fix.
  • ik2egl
    ik2egl Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Tim
    is there any update on thhe proof of concept for CW skimmer integration ?
    tnx
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes - Search for SDR-Bridge on the Community that was released this weekend.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Don,
    Are you referring to the integration that that provides connectivity between SmartSDR and CwSkimmer with a third application (SDR-Bridge) ?

Or are you referring to the idea to integrate the Skimmer display directly into SmartSDR?
    Here is the link to the completely integrated idea:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pfskimer_what_is_the_possibility_for_a_smartsdr_dis...

Or something else?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• ik2egl
    ik2egl Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hi Al
    I had a look and sdr bridge seems to be good answer.
    let me add that your idea is excellent and I hope to see it in the future
  • Rob Reichman
    Rob Reichman Member
    edited May 2014
    I've attempted to run skimmer with SSDR v1.2.1 and DAX 1.0.5  Each time I select an IQ stream, I get an error message that DAX has stopped working (see screen shot)...any thoughts?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Try uninstalling SmartSDR and all data and associated sound cards , the reboot And reinstall SmartSDR and peripheral sound cards
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    BTW. I cannot reproduce ur error
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I can't reproduced it too, all works fine with SDR-Bridge on WIn8.1 64, BTW persistence for DAX IQ still necessary to have
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    SDR-Bridge is working very well here....  Looking forward to the SSDR update to support CW skimmer directly!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.