Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW is fine, Phone is not so fine

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am using the Flex supplied microphone, and getting very little drive power out, no matter where I put the mic gain. Of course, I get a couple watts with mic gain at max and power at 27 (my amp drive level). I switched to my Heil headphone mic, and get the same result. This is with the default settings. What is the correct setting for audio? Has this already been addressed, or is this a situation unique to my own 6700? Dave, W5UN

Answers

• George Shapow
    George Shapow Member
    edited August 2013
    I am having a similar problem since installing 0.13.10. I haven't tried CW yet but I need the mike gain almost at max in order to get any output. No output until about 70 and then up to 100W with any mike I have including the one supplied with the unit.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Do you have the comp on? Also you need to click on the 20 db boost. The comp is set you cannot change it. That should fix your situation. This is standard set up at this time.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Well this is good information to know. On other rigs I was taught to use comp sparingly, if at all. Will this be the "final solution". It appears to be working now, but I have no idea how it sounds on the air. I hope acceptable. Dave, W5UN
  • George Shapow
    George Shapow Member
    edited September 2013
    I tried your suggestion and immediately contacted VK3MO with S9 report and good audio. Thanks for the info.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You will not get optimum SSB audio quality until you listen to yourself in another radio and fine tune the audio gain, compression, and TX Equalizer to match your own voice to the purpose you intend - i.e. Rag chewing needs one setting, DX/Contest operations will need another one. When Variable TX Bandwidth arrives (soon, I hope) it will make this really nice. It will be even better when programmable TX profile type setups arrive. Then you will have one touch presets for the style of operating you intend. BTW.... I have run tests into a dummy load and recorded myself on my Flex-1500 and this rig sounds great. It almost makes no difference how you have it set up. It sounds good! But when properly "tweaked" it becomes fantastic! And it will get better with more features.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I agree Ken, and the ability to enable/disable the current downward expansion, independent of the compression locked at a nominal "30" with the .13.10 for folks that use outboard audio gear that negates this. If the correct position of the downward expander is implemented just after all the mic inputs, foster, balanced, and accy jack. Maybe 6 months down the road, I can eliminate a few pieces of rack gear. I seriously doubt thought though I'll have the versatility of the DEQ2496 and a mic preamp with a sidechain EQ to notch out amp blower/ceiling fan QRM going into the mic inputs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.