Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Filter Widths in the "RX Display Tab" -- 250 is missing

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I think most CW operators primarily use the narrow filters widths between 50 and 250.  There are 8 to choose from in the "slice display" up to 3.0K.    In the RX tab there are only 6 displayed and 250 is not one of them.  

Was there a reason to omit 250 in favor of the wider filters that I'm overlooking?  

See snapshot with the suggested change in the RED box.  This is not a big deal, but if others agree it may be worth changing at some point.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Comments

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Agree.  250 or 400 for quiet band, 50 or 100 for contesting.  Anyone else notice 50 "rings" on background static when the signal is in the grass?
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    We used to be able to customize our filters on the Flex 5000.
    Just needed a RIGHT CLICK on the Filter and we could set it up
    to what we wanted.   Also the Filter Name could be changed.
    This was great on CW and also on RTTY...

Ken   W9IE
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ken,
    I'm not familiar with the 5000 but on SmartSDR you can adjust the width and offset.  Does this excerpt from the manual describe what you were asking about?   (except for the naming)

I haven't used it often since the buttons generally do what I need for CW and they are faster.   

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

True - The filters settings can be changed for the current sessions, and fortunately they can be set back to default by the buttons.  The thread relates to the fixed settings.

Now if every setting could be changed and saved in the two areas it would make the "default" settings a personal choice.  As it is, the CW bandwidths over 1Khz have little value.  

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ken is referring to setting the filter buttons to whatever the user wants. I rarely use anything over 800 on CW. When I had a 5K I built filter buttons for 50, 100, 200, 400 and 800. Then you don't need to use the widget unless you want to tailor further to fight QRM. I really miss this feature. 73 Greg
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Greg, Thanks for the explanation. Agree, I generally just use 50 - 400. It sounds like you had more flexibility in the 5K but just making the 250 button available in the RX panel would work for me. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just a couple of additional comments and then I will quit AL......   Hi  Hi

On the 5000 there were 10 Filter buttons PER MODE.   Each of which could be
    re programmed by the user and then saved with a new NAME on the button.

In addition to WIDTH the filter could be offset either + or - by a Hz value from the
    center Freq.

I then set up a RTTY 200 Hz and a RTTY 300 Hz Filter Named the same with
    a -2210 Hz offset from zero.  The 5000 then when in Digi Lower Mode moved the
    VFO Freq down 2210 Hz so that the readout was correct.   Worked Great !
    This only needed to be done once and then saved for future use.

I do not mean to imply we need 10 Filters per mode but the Programmable
    Feature was Neat.

I also Do Not know what FRS has in store for us as relates to RTTY but I do
    think it will be Head and Shoulders over the 5000 Feature..
    CAN'T WAIT !!!

Ken  W9IE
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 are good selections for CW work. Don't think I've ever used anything over 500 hz for serious CW work.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I find that in my DXing and W1AW/p hunting that it is convenient to have the split slice on a much wider filter, say about 1.5k, in my right ear so I can hear where everyone is calling the "target." It gives me a pretty good lay of the land, along with the pan display on maximum zoom. But I would love to customize the buttons. In my main CW slice I now rarely use anything but 100 and 50 Hz. It is so very much more quiet that way. Such an unbelievable improvement over my TS-850SAT with 500 & 250 Hz filters, which I used to brag was a fantastic rig!
  • Rick Hadley
    Rick Hadley Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I do the same thing for working pileups, and seldom ever use a window wider than 1.5k.  Having the 250 filter in place of the 3k would be really great for me as that's where mine sits most of the time for normal ops.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Same here, Charles.  Definable is best though, and kicking in the APF
    really does a great job. I use another slice to monitor the mob.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Well said, Ned. As for the mob, I don't want to hear the mob, I just need to "see" the mob and move my xmit vfo to the frequency of the last station he responded to. Then I'm next in his log.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Per Tim..... Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager 2621 Posts 709 Likes It is on the list
  • Mike ND4V
    Mike ND4V Member
    edited March 2018
    The 250 filter would be a great addition.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Agree

250 is my most used filter and its not on the side so I have to go to the slice to get it.

To make it worse chasing DX my transmit slice is active and I am not using the right panel for that.

So on the RX slice I am left jumping between filters, volume and APF adjustment  which are not on the same panels. 

Anyone else find this a challenge?
  • Mal G3PDH
    Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Agree, it would better to have 250hz included on the panel instead of 3k. However, why not have user defined presets to suit everyones choices. Many other rigs have it. I do not like trying to set filter with the graph as it is too fiddly.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    @ Tim E.  or  Flex staff. 

Thanks -- V2.4.9 fixed this issue.  This idea can be marked as "implemented."   Are you still updating the ideas in the community or is someone else doing it now?

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Great update for the CW slice buttons! 
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    These are better preset filter choices for CW but should be user configurable.  I would rarely use 800 or 3K. 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yes. No reason you should not be able to right click and set your own. Exactly like the mode buttons.
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes I ran into this working ZD9CW on 15m , his  signal was weak and ZD9 was split . Ticking Split in slice A opened Slice D ... Each time I moved my TX freq It placed the yellow receive focus on my TX Freq Slice D ... Now I could not change any receive filtering until I moved the RX focus back to Slice A . In the heat of the battle , this was very distractive .. I tried locking Slice A but the yellow RX focus continued to move to the TX Slice 

Ed N5DG 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I was starting to think it was just me. Its a big problem as far as I am concerned but no one else chimed in !

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.