Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Upgrade mode

selvin
selvin Member
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I use my paddle ( not the keyboard) to send , and receive with my head. Can their be a split screen showing what I’m sending with my paddle and what I’m receiving? as I was able to do using my Commodore 64 in the old days. In these modern days I would think that CW operation should be much more fun ,and easier as it’s more popular even with the no code licensing nowadays. My 6600m does not help me with CW fun operation at all. Using third party CW programs to prop up Flex radio should fall below the dignity of the leader in SDR technology. I have been using flex too long for me not to jump on it and do what I want to do with ease

Answers

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Technical this can be done pretty easily.  I have one in my Elecraft K3.  However, it doesnt work well unless you are sending VERY good code and recieving VERY good code.  Decoders work best when using a keyboard on both ends.  Strong signals free of QSB and QRN are also required for good decoding.  There are so many third party apps that do this already. 

Do we really want a marginal quality CW decoder built into Flex radio software ?   It will just be something else for users to complain about when it doesnt decode well enough.

Good CW ops like you and me dont need decoders to have fun with CW do we ! :)

P.S. - I have been having lots of fun with the CW keyboard in FRLogger. 

Joe
    N3HEE
    CWOPS 2183
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    In my rather wide experience CW decoders rarely work well.  CW was not designed for machine decoding.  Think of RTTY as a form of CW that is designed for machine decoding.
  • selvin
    selvin Member
    edited May 2019
    My fingers weren’t made to type, they are too big, that’s why I only can hunt-and-peck on a keyboard ,but I can type very well with my paddle which would only get better if I could see what I’m sending on screen, and I don’t know of any third party software that does that now. Whether CW decoding incorporated poses a new problem for accuracy, Flex ,the SDR leader should have no problem with that , just the will to please an avid CHARLEYWISKER .Perfect or not the addition would be worth it . The technical issue is for flex to solve I’m just an operator expressing one of the limitations I find with my radio. CW Ineeds a do-over Thanks gentlemen for you input What’s the name of the software that can show me what I’m sending with my paddle if any? Selvin KB2SG
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    There is a product called Morserino that can decode your sending as well as act as a trainer, tutor and keyer.

http://www.morserino.info/morserino-32.html

There are also products from MFJ that will decode your side tone
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Here are two for you to experiment with. There is also the Begali CW machine. https://www.qsl.net/dj7hs/help/helppcwfistchk.htm#what https://sites.google.com/site/korkowp1/iambic-master
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I guess I do not understand why seeing on a screen what you have sent, after you have already sent it with the paddle, would increase your ability to send.  The only guess I can make is that if you entered the paddle-generated text into a buffer, and then released the buffer, you could increase your instantaneous, but not average, sending speed. 
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    These tools are for sending practice only. They help you develop proper character formation and element spacing.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I would settle for a sidetone when sending CW via keyboard. Finding that my new 6600 doesn't have that was an unpleasant surprise.
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You might try this, it works for me. I use the CwGet program. I have a splitter coming off the Phones jack on my 6600. One leg to my headphones and the other leg goes to the Line In jack on the Soundblaster sound card in my PC. In CWGet  Settings - Interface- select the Soundblaster Line in for Input sound card number. If you have the CwGet window open, you can monitor how well you are sending. If you turn off Breakin in SSDR you can use this setup for sending practice to monitor your fist.

73 Paul
    w2eck
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Rick.  Version 2.5 supports CWX sidetone from PC audio.  Is that what you are refering to ? 
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'm looking for a sidetone when I use CW via N1MM+.  I get one with my paddles using the built in keyer, but no sidetone when I send an N1MM macro.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.