CW/SSB record and playback

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
Good morning,
I love my 6400/Maestro but miss the record and playback capabilities of my FTDX5000 for CW and SSB contesting.  What are folks using to fill this void with?  Thanks for your ideas!
Photo of Joseph Hill

Joseph Hill

• 45 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 689 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Did you try the red button and the green triangle?

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1367 Posts
  • 508 Reply Likes
Joeseph,

The red button Chris mentions is great for a quick record but there is no way to save those files.  it is also  one time shot.

You can play these one time records back by using the MOX button then hitting the play button.

So you have a couple options beyond that but it will require a computer:

1) On a computer you can install SSDR but only run DAX and connect it to your radio.  Then in your radio you make sure your slices have their DAX output channel set and enabled.

Then you can use a free public domain program like Audacity to record from any of the DAX channels and save the recordings to disk.

For playback you can play back to DAX TX, make sure you select DAX as the audio input source (much easier to do this in SSDR rather than the Maestro) and you can play your recordings out over the air.

2) Shameless plug here:  I've been writing a logging program which also will require you to have a PC.   The program is currently called FlexLogger but the name will change soon.

With FlexLogger your can connect to your radio and there is a full featured Audio Panel.  You will still need DAX running but it makes it easy to record and save recordings and play them back either locally or back to the radio.

FlexLogger is a very new program so there is no documentation yet and for people using it, it is a matter of hunting for features or asking questions.

If you are interested you can down the the current installer here:

http://www.ws7m.net/flinstallers/FlexLoggerSetup-01.0.5.exe

The audio panel in FlexLogger looks like this:

Recordings you have made are shown in a list.  This panel will be changing over time to make it more useful and functional.

Mark - WS7M
(Edited)
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 403 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
I am using DXLab Suite and N1MM+ I would appreciate it if you would make some of your features (audio record/store & playback, including macros [voice keyer]) compatible with DXLAB suite and N1MM+.
I am have several years experience with N1MM and over 10 years with DXLab Suite.
In my humble opinion your time would be better spent enhancing the Flex experience with those loggers rather than getting everyone used to your logger.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4013 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
Mark, that link is not working for me
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1367 Posts
  • 508 Reply Likes
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4013 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
lol thanks mark
Photo of Joseph Hill

Joseph Hill

• 45 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for your reply but I was under the impression that those buttons were far they recording and Playback of received audio
Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 213 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
They work for transmitted audio as well. They are very nice for transmitting into a dummy load while you speak, then play it back to adjust your transmit equalization and compression. The Monitor does not let you hear all the transmit processing, but recording does.

Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4013 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
I was going to use the program Mark, but I seem to have an IP address conflict with my Flex computer,,so I have to connect directly to the computer. I need to get the .net update.
(Edited)
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 403 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
I have CW macros stored for playback in CWX, N1MM+, or DXLab Suite/WinWarbler.
Photo of Joseph Hill

Joseph Hill

• 45 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks Steven.  Can you do the same for SSB?